looking to start upgrades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to start upgrades

My system right now is adequate for the current gen but just barely. I am looking to start upgrading and just looking for feed back on mainly processor/mobo and gpu upgrades

Currently im running a first gen i7 950 stock clock (not enough personal experience to oc myself)
    Gygabite x58 am3 usb3.0 mobo
    16 gb 2033mhz corsair vengeance ram
    2x sapphire 6870 1gb
    1 tb wd hdd
    27 inch asus led lcd
    Rosewill bronze 750w psu

Just posting here for preliminary recon on the current gen of processors and gfx cards
    sigpic

That system looks pretty stout to me. Maybe bump up to the new i5 architecture and add an ssd. Other than that you COULD sell of the dual cards and get a new single gpu solution, not necessary though.
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Re: looking to start upgrades

on paper the setup is pretty slick, but in practice i can only barely eek out enough processing power to run bf3 on ultra and even then i get steep drops on some maps. Over all I'm just really unhappy with the cards themselves, took me a lot of work to get them running smooth and i hear that most Radeon series cards are like that. (if someone can give me a little guidance on oc'ing the cards/processor i can cut my price in half and just get a new psu.)

Ultimately I'm looking to push up to a new processor/mobo that will support the cards and my memory better( I have less than an eighth inch between the two cards in xfire), I'm just not as fluent on that sort of thing (how to pick an optimised mobo/processor combo, i just bought what fit on newegg),

I have an ssd (60g ocz) but the times i've tried to ghost the drive to boot off it i've had issues and that sort of turned me off to the idea (only sort of windows literate)
      sigpic

Comment

I'll be honest. I did dual cards on one of my rigs and performance was "ok". My personal opinion now is single high end gpu for the ease of use and game support. I only use ati cards now. I have tried nvidia on 2 separate occasions and was not impressed with performance vs. cost. 6850's are/were good cards, I do see that your using a very large screen, what res do you run at???
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

As Ven asked the resolution that you output to your screen has large effect on how much graphical power you need. You should probably tell us your budget ceiling that you are planning for this upgrade. I know if I had your system I wouldn't be thinking about upgrading for a good bit, but if you have the money and the desire I'm sure we can help you spend it.
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Don't bother upgrading the processor. Your 1st gen i7 can still hold it's own. Upgrading to a IB i5 or i7 isn't much of an upgrade overall at least for most games and some apps. I'd get a nice closed loop water cooler or a nice aftermarket air cooler, a decently sized (120+ GB) SSD, and a new graphics card instead. Those are the only areas your current rig needs a nice bump in, especially the SSD.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Budget ceiling is nonexistent! (the VA just sent me a backlog of 6 months of disability)

Res is 1920x1080

Primary looking for ease of use/currentgen/future proof for the graphics department because it seems I have to tweak every setting on both the hardware and software to get a good balance of play-ability/quality. though like I said if I can get good guidance on overclocking I would not mind at all spending a pretty penny on psu/cooling to bump my current rig up a notch because the platform i am on right now definitely has the potential to up-clock extremely well.

This is all really good info as I built the rig right at the cusp of the new generation of tech for pcs (ssd/i7 platform/mainstream liquid cooling) so im not versed entirely on what is and isn't currently viable and what goes well with what anymore. this is exactly the discussion am looking for.
              sigpic

Comment

Overclocking on that chip should be pretty simple. Reboot, enter the BIOS find the section that talks about the cpu multiplier and try upping it to your desired frequency(quick googling says ~3.8 area should be stable at stock voltage). You might also consider setting the voltage from auto to whatever the intel specified stock voltage is for your chip in case your board tries to up to meet demand. Save and exit. If it boots that is good, then test it with either the program you want to use(ARMAII/BF3?) a CPU stress test such as OCCT or intel burn test or both. Then buy a GTX 680 to go with it. Boom, top of the line performance. There are plenty of other things you could spend it on too. A SSD for faster loading of things. A second drive for recording gameplay if you are into that. Buying a 1155 or 2011 socket board and a phat new CPU to go with it if you overclocking doesn't go the way you want.

Keep an eye on the CPU temperatures if you do overclock with something like hardware monitor. If they creep towards 70c then upgrade the cooler. Maybe something like this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065.
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Google search for everclocking your specific cpu. Usually there are TONS of articles on proper overclocking that walk you through step by step.

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                    I have tried nvidia on 2 separate occasions and was not impressed with performance vs. cost.
                    I agree with that. I've had them twice and I hate the stinking software that comes with it.

If you really have no budget (which I can imagine you don't if you just got 6 months of VA disability back pay...still waiting on mine), I'd say get a AMD Radeon HD 7970. I've got one and it oc'd in a breeze and destroys games.

If you want to oc your current cards, you should be able to do it via Catalyst Control. It's how I did mine, no fancy bells and whistles. Just drag the core clock bar and memory clock bar to desired levels and that's it. It supports Crossfire, so no worries there.

I see a lot of suggestions for SSDs and I agree. Here's the 4 I would suggest:
                    Crucial M4: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148442
                    Plextor M3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820249014
                    Samsung 830: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147163
                    Kingston HyperX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820239045

I've got the HyperX listed (along with 2 OCZ Agility 3 SSDs) and it's a very solid SSD. I've had no problems and Windows starts in a breeze.

With the OCZ you have now, well I don't trust them enough to put my OS onto it. Anyways, whenever I upgraded to an SSD then upgraded from that SSD to another SSD, I just did a fresh install of Windows (mainly because I was adding other new hardware).

Comment

I'll +1 the Kingston HyperX 3K suggestion. I have one in the new rig I'm building...well...the 240 GB one at least. ;)

If you want reliability and performance is only second to reliability, then the Samsung 830 is a no-brainer. Plextor M3 is still new to the block, but Anandtech (and other sites) love their firmware support team who seems to be working very hard to put out timely updates that are stable and working (unlike OCZ who seems to believe in making arbitrary decisions for SSD owners).
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The hyper x went on sale while i was at work, and thank god for my new-egg app i bought one! now i just need to figure out what to do: Fresh install or ghost the OS.

Also picked up the more stable 7950 to replace my unstable set of 6870, which are great cards individually but seem to be unstable in xfire when i try to overdrive them in CCC.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blugill View Post
                          The hyper x went on sale while i was at work, and thank god for my new-egg app i bought one! now i just need to figure out what to do: Fresh install or ghost the OS.
                          A fresh install is probably the best bet. I've done one every time I've upgraded hardware.

Originally posted by Blugill View Post
                          Also picked up the more stable 7950 to replace my unstable set of 6870, which are great cards individually but seem to be unstable in xfire when i try to overdrive them in CCC.
                          Very nice, the 7950 should be vicious if it's anywhere near the 7970.

Comment

Your i7 950 should be able to push 4ghz rather easily. A friend of mine had one with a H100 liquid cooler and ran it at 4.2 ghz at good temperatures. Im sure a H80 will probably work just as well.

Im running air cooled on my i7 3930k at 4.2 and it stays nice and cool. Although if i remember correctly the new i7s are supposed to have lower running temps in general compared to the older ones..but either way. High OC should be easily achievable. Besides, if you are going to run a serious gaming rig why cheap out and buy an i5?
                            sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
                              Besides, if you are going to run a serious gaming rig why cheap out and buy an i5?
                              Cause I was dumb and bought an FX-8150 when I had no budget, then couldn't afford the i7 when I switched to Intel. :(

Still hate you cause you have the i7-3930K.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X