FX8120 or FX8150?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX8120 or FX8150?

I am looking into buying an AMD FX-8120 or FX-8150. Which has better price per performance?

Right now, I can get an FX-8120 for $145 and an FX-8150 for $190. The only real difference out side of price is the 3.1 -4.0GHz vs 3.7 - 4.2 Ghz. Also, that is before they are overclocked. Overclocked performance is virtually the same...

I am thinking to get the FX-8120 and be able to accept that I will not be buying a new CPU for at least 2 or so years. I don't have an urge to replace this one any time soon. I've been using a Phenom II X2 555 BE unlocked to a 3-core at 4 Ghz.

I realize that I am on a small budget and I am looking at getting an 8 core. I would wait for the Piledrivers to come out but their prices will be past my budget.

I am looking for something that will keep me going for a while and play ball when ArmA 3 comes out...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: FX8120 or FX8150?

I had an 8150 and mobo ordered and shipped from Newegg but after reading that they didn't do near as well at gaming as it did at other tasks so after much exploring I refused the shipment and ordered the Intel I5 3570K Ivy Bridge for $28 more. I had the 1090T BE six core which gave me a steady 40 frames in Arma with my GTX570 HD. SC. With my new setup I am getting 50 to 70 frames, thats not OC just the turbo boost, it is a 3.4 with TB to 3.8 quad core. I like AMD but after research , I think you get better bang for your buck , gaming wise with Intel. Nothing really utilizes 8 core right now and the Bulldozer chip really gets slammed by almost everyone in their reviews.

Comment

Sorry to say this, but that really did not help me since I'm stuck with an AM3 + mobo and system. There is only FX in my future as long as I have my current computer.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
        Sorry to say this, but that really did not help me since I'm stuck with an AM3 + mobo and system. There is only FX in my future as long as I have my current computer.
        I have the 8120, Over clocked to 4.11 which the 8150 is 3.6 So i saved 30-40 bucks :D. I had this for more then few months. The 8150 is better, here is the speeds. 8,162 cpu mark and the 8120 is 7,048 So your getting 1000 more according to http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html My girl friend has the 8150 I see no differences how ever I haven't played with her computer for extended period of time, nor have I tried to OC her computer.

Comment

In this video using the same cooling as me, with a 8150 he gets to 4.7ghz I am at 4.11 with 8120, at 24 hours full load no fail.

Comment

Hmmm, so I guess I should take a look at spending a little extra for the 8150? I will be air cooling and do plan to overclock eventually...

I am curious, does the 8120 overclock easily past the 4.1? I mean, do I want to spend more to get the same performance once OC'd? I am looking at OC'ing eventually and want to know if it is better to get something that comes out faster or get something that with a little footwork can equal performance...

Comment

My mobo is a biostar TA990 FXE and the space for installing a cooling unit is cramped, but it seems to have a number of heatsinks around the cpu socket.

http://www.techenclave.com/cpu-mobo-...ecture-125481/
              Last edited by BeSiege82; 09-01-2012, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Those 'sinks are normal for a nicer higher-end mobo. They are there to keep the VRMs and MOSFETs cool when your CPU starts heating up. They won't interfere with most aftermarket air or water coolers.

As for the chip choice, I'd go with the FX8120 and save yourself the extra money (which could be spent on a better graphics card, SSD, etc). The only real difference between the 8120 and the 8150 is the stock frequency.

As for OC potential, it all varies from chip to chip, even if you have the same model chip as everyone else. One 8120 might OC better than the next 8120. Overall, it's more about keeping your chip cool as you overclock, making small bumps upwards and stress testing to ensure a stable overclock, etc. I'd invest in a good air cooler if you are going to air cooling route and are considering OCing.

From what I've been seeing around OCN, it seems most people who own a FX chip usually OC it to 4.0 GHz or higher. A decent aftermarket cooler, should at least let you hit 4.0 without worrying about overheating the chip.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Get the 8120 and save the money. The 8120 will overclock (if it does) to a nice level.

Comment

Alright, then I know what I will get.

Comment

I've been looking at these CPU's and researching the boards for a while now and if I were in the position you are, I'd go for the FX-4100 now and hold off until they introduce the steamroller chips next year. The promise that Bulldozer was suppose to bring to the table will be realized on these chips. The quad will suffice and can still be OC'ed to reasonable speeds on air. Most games still don't benefit from the additional cores especially since few of them are being developed independent of consoles.

http://hothardware.com/News/AMDs-Nex...er-Fell-Short/

See article for tech data
                      Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

My problem is that it has been a year since I bought a low end cpu in order to build up a cpu fund. I made this fund and now I'm hearing that I should just get another chip to hold myself over for an even better chip that will come out next year?

I might be tempted to wait for Piledriver, but I would not have the cash needed for the Piledrivers for quite some time... I am thinking of getting the 8120 and waiting at least two years until I consider replacing it...

Comment

Get the 8120 now. In two years you could probably get Steamroller by then or even wait for Excavator.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have this cooler, just it has a off brand tag on it...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103099

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              Get the 8120 now. In two years you could probably get Steamroller by then or even wait for Excavator.
                              And they probably will cost a couple of hundred bucks like the Bulldozers. I hope that they get AMD back in the game. I like my i5-2500K, but dammit I love AMD so much more. I sure would like to upgrade to one of those 2.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X