Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade now or wait for new tech?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Upgrade now or wait for new tech?

    I've been in denial for some time that my once top tier system is now decidedly mid/low range. Here's my current setup:

    Intel Core2Quad Q6600 (stock clocks)
    Corsair H60 watercooler for above
    AMD 5850 1Gb
    4 Gb Mushkin DDR2
    Some sort of Gigabyte MB (Can't believe I can't remember what board I have)

    I'm going to have to replace all of the above should I choose to upgrade. I already have 8 Gb of DDR3 I picked during a sale so I won't have to buy that, but that's chump change. I'd be on a budget of about $500 over the course of about 2 months to get all the parts not including a new H100 cooler or ram.

    Being that Ivybridge chips have been out for some time, should I look at buying one now or wait for new chips to hit? Same with video cards? I linked the primary parts I was looking if I were to pull the trigger today.

    My current rig isn't horrible, but I'm only managing about 18-21 fps in MWO which I can live with but I certainly don't like it. So what's the general consensus? Wait or go for it?

    EDIT: Anyone have any suggestions for a new gaming mouse? My Deathadder just does not have enough buttons on it. I was looking at the Logitech G700 but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions in that arena.
    Last edited by Spyder228; 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM.


    TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

    If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

  • #2
    Re: Upgrade now or wait for new tech?

    I would need model number on the MoBo but there isn't much room to upgrade your existing hardware. You can find a Q6700 for the 775 board and it should support at least 16gb of memory so you could look at a relatively inexpensive upgrade with CPU and ram (still find Q6700 for about $125).

    The 775's have had a good run. I'd be happy with bumping the ram and adding a new GPU. If you check some of the OC guides for the Q series you can get 3.6 stable from what I remember (Can go higher but not recommended). One other "trick" would be an SSD for boot drive and OS as prices have come down but you would be limited to SATA3.
    Forewarned is Forearmed




    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Upgrade now or wait for new tech?

      I'm more looking to replace my listed parts instead of augmenting what I already have. I know there isn't much room for improvement with my current setup.


      TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

      If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Upgrade now or wait for new tech?

        Then I'd vote to wait until Q1 2013 and see what new tech releases do to the pricing on current hardware.

        (This is where I stumble when I look to replace the features on my current motherboard - haven't found anything yet to replace my M2N32 work station board)
        Forewarned is Forearmed




        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Upgrade now or wait for new tech?

          I'm with LpBronco on this. By then AMD should have it's Piledriver released. And with the cleaning of house with AMDs staff after the epic fail with the Bulldozers, there could be some potential in them.

          The 7870 you listed is a good GPU so I'd bookmark that. The price of it may decrease also as AMD may come out with some new GPUs by then. I have an XFX 7970 Black Edition and it's really solid. Support for it is good, and the software for it is very simple to use.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Upgrade now or wait for new tech?

            At $500 and all those components needing to be replaced, it would be very hard (if not impossible) to get a current IB set up going with a H100 and such.

            Let's see here:

            i5-3570k = $230
            HD7870 Ghz = $270
            1155 Z77 Mobo = $150 ("midrange" assuming you want to overclock some while not skimping on too many features)
            H100 WC = $110 (NewEgg)

            Total: $760.

            If you have a Micro Center nearby, you could potentially save $40 or more by buying the IB i5 and a Z77 board from them. Like my recent build, I saved $70 (after taxes) by buying my i7-3770k and my ASUS P8Z77-V LK mobo from Micro Center.

            With that said, if you don't have to have the top-tier performance Intel offers, AMD would be a much better choice given your budget. You could probably get a FX-8120 + board (from Micro Center), then buy the rest of the components you need and still come out under $500. With the nicer cooler, you could then overclock your CPU to help make up for the lower framerates compared to Intel.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

            Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





            SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

            TG Primer and Rules

            Comment

            Connect

            Collapse

            TeamSpeak 3 Server

            Collapse

            Advertisement

            Collapse

            Twitter Feed

            Collapse

            Working...
            X