Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speakers and Headphones

Question,

If I had 2.1 channel speakers connected to my 5.1 channel sound card, then plugged 5.1 channel headphones into the speaker jack that comes with the speakers would my headphones be 5.1? I think the speaker jack is like a control pod for the speakers but I'm not exactly sure how it works because I haven't purchased the speakers yet. I'm trying to solve the problem of always having to unplug my headphones and then plug my speakers back in because there are multiple users on my machine and my kids ruined my $60 headphones because they never unplugged them and just kept twisting the cord. If someone has another solution it would be appreciated, thanks.

Re: Speakers and Headphones

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2123235

Comment

lol, I guess that would work. Is there any chance it would degrade the sound quality since the signal is being split?

Comment

Its what I use, but I don't have any 5.1 equipment. I just have a 2.1 set of speakers, and a nice set of headphones.

Comment

You should not notice any sound degradation. As for your original question, you technically do not get 5.1 surround sound in your headphones if you only have a single stereo jack. It just ends up being virtual surround sound (simulated as it's still stereo). A true 5.1 set of headphones would either have 3 jacks (analog), a USB connector (digital), or a s/PDIF (optical) connector.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hey, the idea behind it works... I mean, you probably could get a splitter too but that might be bad too...

This makes me think of how you can use a 4.1 sound system and your head set to make a 5.1 just by turning the head set into the side speakers...

Tell me how it works please. :)

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              You should not notice any sound degradation. As for your original question, you technically do not get 5.1 surround sound in your headphones if you only have a single stereo jack. It just ends up being virtual surround sound (simulated as it's still stereo). A true 5.1 set of headphones would either have 3 jacks (analog), a USB connector (digital), or a s/PDIF (optical) connector.
              Thanks for the feedback, I may just end up getting a USB, but not sure if there's a downside to that. The upside is I wouldn't have to plug it into my soundcard since I have the usb inputs in the front of my tower.

Comment

There might be some games (usually older titles) that won't recognize the USB headset as a sound device and therefore you won't get sound from it and/or won't be able to use your headset mic. However, you probably won't every run into that issue since I doubt many even play games old enough to cause that issue.

Just keep in mind that you'd have to select the USB sound device (that's what the USB headset will have to "install" when you install it's drivers) as your default sound output device and recording device.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  There might be some games (usually older titles) that won't recognize the USB headset as a sound device and therefore you won't get sound from it and/or won't be able to use your headset mic. However, you probably won't every run into that issue since I doubt many even play games old enough to cause that issue.

Just keep in mind that you'd have to select the USB sound device (that's what the USB headset will have to "install" when you install it's drivers) as your default sound output device and recording device.
                  Thank you for the help, I appreciate it.

Comment

Just as a note I currently split my left/right, center, surround, and microphone jacks without any sound degradation. I use it so that I can have my Logitech 540s and Tritton AX51 Pro connected at the same time.

Belkin Speaker and Headphone Splitter
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...