PC Probs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Probs

My PC froze the other day. I rebooted it and received a black screen with no POST. I left it alone for 30 minutes and retried. This time it started up and reported a bad memory stick and asked me to save the configuration. I turned it off at this stage thinking Id just take out a mem stick and find out which one is bad. However, no combination of removal and changing (x2 512mb sticks) made any difference. Each time after I turned it on after that error message I get a black screen with no HDD activity or anything. Last night I unplugged everything (HDD, both DVD drives the G/card, both mem sticks) and still nothing happens when I power on.

Im thinking my m/board is fried but Im open to suggestions.
    Jex.

Re: PC Probs

I would eliminate the power supply as the culprit first.

Comment

Thanks Leejo - all the fans are working so I guess that means I have power. there is also a small green led on the M/board (i think - will have to check) that lights up as well. Oh and BTW is a compaq Evo 510 mini tower.
      Jex.

Comment

Hmm. Well I do have some good news. Now the avatars are looking goofy on my pc! In this thread, mine looks right and yours is corrupt. Or maybe it's this new medicine I bought from the guy on the corner.

Compaq huh? Lots of proprietary stuff in there or are all the components mix and match-able? What's the last thing you changed on the machine? New component or screen resolution? Anything?

Comment

Hmm. Well I do have some good news. Now the avatars are looking goofy on my pc! In this thread, mine looks right and yours is corrupt. Or maybe it's this new medicine I bought from the guy on the corner.

Compaq huh? Lots of proprietary stuff in there or are all the components mix and match-able? What's the last thing you changed on the machine? New component or screen resolution? Anything?

I took my machine down several months ago by increasing the screen resolution. Wouldn't boot at all - just a black screen. I was thinking the same thing but it turned out I'd fried the psu.

Comment

Jex it sounds like Power Supply. Since it's cheap to replace try it first. Don't buy a cheapo brand though. If that doesn't do the trick try resetting your bios anytime you make Hardware changes. It's a jumper on the motherboard. If none of those work then it is time for a new one. I recommend nForce chipset.

- -

Comment

Well my PC is working - for now.

I brought it in today to work to swap some ram around but instead it just booted up. The only thing different I did was remove the kb and mouse. This time it reported no KB, mouse but also the PC clock was not correct - so it looks as though my battery has died but this shouldn't cause this problem, should it?
              Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X