My build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My build

Hey guys, here's a link to the build log of my coming along now, first build :) Just got the new PSU and GPU as well as completed the sleeving :) Just thought some of you guys might like to check it out! Hope you like it!

http://www.overclock.net/forum/newestpost/1295271

Re: My build

Damn, that thing looks amazing. Digging the sleeved wiring. What are the specs? I didn't feel like digging around on that or this site to find them, about to head off to work.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeface View Post
      Damn, that thing looks amazing. Digging the sleeved wiring. What are the specs? I didn't feel like digging around on that or this site to find them, about to head off to work.
      Sure thing :)

Case: NZXT Phantom 410
      Mobo: MSI 970A-G46
      CPU: AMD 960T Zosma (slight overclock to 3.6 during these hot summer temps)
      CPU Cooling: Antec Kuhler H20 620 in push pull
      RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB 1333mhz
      GPU: Asus GTX 560ti (slight overclock to 900mhz)
      PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 500W
      Storage: 500GB main storage, 640GB video game footage storage
      Disk drives: Single read/write dvd drive

Comment

Pretty nice build. I am interested to know why you chose a Phenom II over a current FX processor though?

Other than that, looks like you compromised in a few areas: RAM and video card. You could have gone with 8 GBs of RAM and a GTX570 or even a GTX660Ti (for about $30 more than the GTX570).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well the thing with just about everything you mentioned is I received them second hand. The RAM was free, the 560ti was $50 :)
          As for the processor I was on a very limited budget at original build point and the price diff was about $100 at the time between the 2.

Comment

I see. Well you really can't beat free. Gosh, good karma or really great friends. A entire hand-me-down system (minus some misc. costs). Pretty awesome considering it's not ancient hardware and still pretty relevant. :)

You could still up your RAM to 8 GBs, get a new graphics card down the line, and even buy a SSD too. All three would help quite a bit if you're gaming heavily on that machine.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I plan on upgrading RAM next, 8GB of 1866 is my goal. An SSD will be sometime down the line. As for my GPU I don't plan on upgrading for quite a while as my budget still isn't much for upgrading. If I could upgrade to the extent of what I want at this point of building the rig, I would get a new MOBO and CPU as well. But budget is my determining factor and it's a big one :P

The system originally cost me $700 CND which was MOBO, CPU, Case, Cooler, Fans. My original GPU was a B-day present last year. I used a free hand-me-down PSU for quite a while, the RAM was free, I used the disk drive and HDD from my old system. I then got another HDD for free from a friend who found it disconnected in a rig he bought used, locally. I have then since purchased myself the Kuhler 620 as an upgrade from my CM hyper 212 on sale from NCIX for $45. Then my good friends brother upgraded from SLI 560ti's to an EVGA superclocked 690.... 0_0 who then sold each of the 560ti's to his brother and myself for $50 :D At which time I needed a PSU upgrade for my new GPU. Found the PC Power & Coooling one for $60. Plus the little things here and there that mean's I've only sank around $900-1000 of my own money into this build which could have cost me $1400-1500 if I bought everything ever gone into it.

Comment

You'll have quite the killer system when you upgrade RAM.

Comment

Its a nice system, like the green throughout.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys :) Its much appreciated, it's my first build and it's coming along well now. Becoming quite proud of it :)
                    If I score a good job in the near future the biggest upgrade I plan to do if possible is a custom loop for liquid cooling the CPU and GPU. I begun [email protected] during the night while I'm sleeping and while I'm out and about during the day hours. Which gets the rig pretty toasty at 100% CPU usage and 99% GPU usage. Considering both are overclocked I'd rather less degradation with more cooling. If anything I plan to get a bracket for my existing Antec Kuhler 620 for my GPU and just get another maintenance free cooler for the CPU, preferably the Corsair H100 if I go this route.

Comment

As long as you keep your GPU and CPU temps (under full load) under the max temp according to the manufacturer (or AMD for your CPU), you shouldn't see any degradation of the CPU over time. It's only when your temps are higher that you'd run the risk of a premature failure.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have seen my CPU (AMD Phenom IIx4 960T) hit a max of 60c while running [email protected] Which is right at the max recommended temps for the CPU. Building a custom liquid cooling set-up would be an awful cool experience as well :)

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                          I have seen my CPU (AMD Phenom IIx4 960T) hit a max of 60c while running [email protected] Which is right at the max recommended temps for the CPU. Building a custom liquid cooling set-up would be an awful cool experience as well :)
                          Also one of the most expensive ways to cool your CPU short of liquid nitrogen (and possibly oil submersion kits). Typically you'd be spending at least $150 after all has been said and done. There is also a deal of maintenance to it over time (refilling the reservoir, etc). So keep that mind it's not quite as easy as "install and done" like most air or closed-loop water coolers.

Then again, true water cooling fanatics won't scold at you for getting a CLC if you ever run into one. :p

60C, yeah, that's pretty much at the limit for the Phenom IIs. With any kind of water cooling setup, you'd basically see idle temps in the mid-20s and load temps < 40 C assuming your ambient temperature is not that high (and the air isn't as humid as a hot summer day's).
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm prepared for the maintenance, I have a closed loop system right now (antec Kuhler 620) and it gets me by.. I've just become so set on the appearance and performance gain from the custom loops. I could have green tubing to add to my scheme :) hehe I'm already in and out of the system regularly so doing it to maintain the loop wouldn't be an issue for me. I am also planning to look into sponsorships for themed builds to sell for charity or whatever. I have grown an immense passion for putting together custom builds :)

Comment

Hmm the 620, not the best choice imo for a CLC (rather thin rad and only push/pull). I would have gotten a Kuhler 920 or a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro instead (for about $100). Or a big air cooler for $60-$70 about the current price of a 620. Thicker rad and a push-pull design allows for better airflow through the rad fins and better heat dissipation.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X