Help designing a 'simple' display system for kitchen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help designing a 'simple' display system for kitchen

I need help setting up a display for my restaurant kitchen.

Here is what I am looking to do: Have a wall mounted screen to display recipes for prep cooks.

Here is how I was thinking about it:
    All the recipes are in .pdf format. I was thinking of using Linux (any version) as the OS.
    Goal: Have the computer boot into a folder containing all the .pdf files. Employees would only have access to that folder. Their only options would be open a file or close a file. I was thinking about using a Numpad and remap the keys, only functions I need would be scroll up/down, open and close.

Tell me your ideas/thoughts. I have an old laptop and netbook I was thinking about using. Mounting them behind a 17" or 19" monitor.

Re: Help designing a 'simple' display system for kitchen

Why not just leave it on all the time? A SFF like a netbook or nettop wouldn't consume much power and with Linux (any flavor) as a OS base, you don't even have to worry about crashes or the need to reboot often.

A touchscreen would probably be a good idea if this is going to be in the kitchen. It would have to be a quality display though with a screen protector or something. I know commercial type kiosk stations usually have custom made displays that help curb damage by pesky fingers (or in this case dirty fingers). Probably not feasible if you are on a tight budget, but even a normal touchscreen might not be a bad idea.

Hmm, not sure about the software side. I was thinking something like the software they use on laptops and such at trade shows and stores where you are presented with this UI launched from a running app that hides the underlying OS UI so you only have access to whatever is presented to you (and maybe a internet browser). Not sure if there are any free or open-source variants out there. But this would be one area I'd look into.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Touchscreen was also my first thought. You might want to look into some of the touch screen anywhere videos and write up on the net. It seems to take just a Microsoft kinetic, a projector and a PC. This would solve the touch screen issue/damage and maybe save a few dollars. It would require alot of time on your part in getting it up and running, but its an option. Maybe you can find someone here at TG that would be willing to work the backend programming for you.
      http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...rface_computer

|TG-IRR|

Comment

My hopes are to do this on a budget (craigslist gear). I was originally planning on using a RaspberryPi b/c it is $35 and small (but on a 3 month delay). The device will be left on all the time.

I just need a way (either in Linux or Windows) to give a user access only to a folder and only to open/close files (.pdf) in that folder. It will basically be a monitor to display recipes that are stored as pdfs.

Comment

I think it should be entirely possible with Linux. I'm thinking subusers within a group would have chmod'd permissions that restrict them to a single directory (or just a subdirectory). Then you could set what programs that subuser could access. I've personally never set something like this up so I'd have to do some research into it to find out how.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X