Need to upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to upgrade

I need a little help upgrading my computer. Basically, I don't really need to upgrade right now, but it's starting to get to me, all the random shutdowns, all the games not working properly, but still I have to say I'm not on the green side enough to just dump money into upgrades that are for my enjoyment. (if something new is coming up soon that would reduce current tech price, I can wait it out).

Current setup:
    Asus P5X Pro motherboard
    Intel core2duo e8500 @ 3.16ghz
    4gb RAM
    Ati Radeon 4870
    650W PSU
    19'' LCD monitor (if I upgrade I would get a new screen as well ofc)

Would upgrading my CPU, graphics card and motherboard solve my problem?

I've been looking at the Radeon 7850 that's around 160, supposedly giving the most bang for the buck, but I'm lost on the CPU and motherboard part.

What do you guys think I should do?
    ˝Memento audere semper˝

Re: Need to upgrade

Crashing you say? First off are you using the latest Radeon drivers for your HD4870? You can download the latest one from http://ati.amd.com/ if you haven't already done so.

Secondly, how are the temps on your CPU? You can read the core temps using small program called CoreTemp. Take both core temps at load, add them together, divide by 2, and subtract 5 to get your approximate CPU temperature. (Formula: [(Core 1 + Core 2) / 2] - 5 = Approximate CPU Temp)). Are you still using the stock cooler or are you using a aftermarket cooler?

If you are using DDR2, a mobo upgrade would mean buying new RAM as well (~$50 per 8 GBs -- 2x4 config).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I always make sure I have the latest drivers, but still games crash and when I alt+tab out I get the notification that my drivers crashed and had to restart. This problem has been with me from the start really and happens every now and then.

Still on stock cooler. I get 37C going by your formula (at load you mean max temp right?)

I am pretty sure I'm running on DDR3 RAM, around 99.9%.

Technical problems aside from what I've seen my thoughts are the i5-2500 CPU and radeon 7850, giving me the most and not being that expensive. I have no ideas what mobo to take though.
      ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

Sounds like a driver issue. try this guide and reinstall them. http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/ho...graphics-cards
        sigpic

Former Pathfinder
        Former ARMA Admin
        Former ARMA TGU instructor
        Former TGU Headmaster
        Current Noob
        Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Thanks, will try it out today. But driver problems aside, what's current tech, not too expensive and a big upgrade for me?
          ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

At this point anything from AMD's FX chips to Intel's SB or IB stuff would be a upgrade compared to your C2D.

The i5-2500 and the HD7850 would definitely be a rather big improvement, though I'd probably tack on another 4 GBs of RAM. If I were you, I'd do one of these two things (upgrade wise):

Option 1

Sell off the C2D, motherboard, RAM, and HD4870.

Buy:
            + i5-2500
            + 8 GB of RAM (2 x 4 config, DDR3 1333) --- Not much point in DDR3 1600 unless you are getting a Ivy Bridge chip or planning on some overclocking
            + LGA1155 Motherboard with 4 DIMM slots (for RAM) --- allows for expanding to 16 GBs later on
            + HD7870 GHz --- better overall performance compared to the HD7850 and if you ever upgrade to a HD monitor, you'd benefit greatly from better framerates at higher quality details

Option 2

Keep the C2D, old mobo, RAM, and the HD4870 --- keep it so you can later make this into another system (for whatever suits your needs) or to build into another system to give away to relatives/family.

Buy:
            + i5-2500
            + 8 GB of RAM (2 x 4 config, DDR3 1333) --- Not much point in DDR3 1600 unless you are getting a Ivy Bridge chip
            + LGA1155 Motherboard with 4 DIMM slots (for RAM) --- allows for expanding to 16 GBs later on
            + HD7850

I'd be more inclined to go with Option 1 since this allows you to save money at the same time upgrade to some better parts.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

So I was looking at the right parts with the i5-2500 and radeon 7850/7870?

Actually that's a pretty neat idea, why haven't I thought of that, lol. My girlfriend would like to get a new computer because with her current one she can barely use web explorers. I wanted to get her a used 150€ comp that would run League of legends (that's the only game she plays) but there weren't really any decent ones except for one, but that got sold before they seller read my message about it.

The only question here would be if her PSU is good enough right? Other than that I don't see any problems, she takes my parts, I upgrade, and we're both winners. Oh and, can I use RAM from different manufacturers, or do I need to buy another 4gigs of the same?
              ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

Yes, i5 2500 and a 7850/7870 would go fine together. Just make sure you get a LGA1155 mobo to go with the CPU. I'd try and look for one with 4 DIMM slots so you can just buy another 8 GBs of RAM later and double your RAM without wasting the 8 GBs you are going to buy.

What is her PSU? Any specific details you have on it?

For that matter, details on your PSU? I think we assumed you had a quality 650W unit, but that isn't always the case (especially if this is the included unit in a pre-built PC from Dell, HP, etc).
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'll try and check on her PSU when I'm at her place, as for mine, it is 650W. My rig isn't pre-built, I bought it from a shop that let me pick the parts and they wanted to give me a 550W PSU but I decided to get a 650W with upgrading in mind. I have the Corsair TX650W PSU right now.

I was looking at different LGA1155 motherboards and they really differ in price, is this one any good?

http://www.pixmania.si/si/uk/9587235...a1155-soc.html

Oh and is there any place you'd recommend I'd buy the parts? Graphics cards are cheaper basically everywhere other than my country so it really depends on the companys shipping. For example, localy I'd get the 7870 sapphire for 260€, from pixmania for 220€ (with 10€ shipping) and from newegg for 200€ (but they don't ship internationally).

http://www.pixmania.si/si/uk/1191391...hz-editio.html
                  ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

That Sapphire is nice. Personally, with Radeons I've always tried to buy a Sapphire. Well built, great aftermarket coolers, but lackluster support. Then again, I've never had one fail on me or had to call their tech support in the past 8 years. :D

That board should be fine. However if you plan on upgrading to a Ivy Bridge chip within the next 1-2 years, I'd look for Z77 board (higher-end one). I can't find out on Gigabyte's site if this board (you linked to) supports PCI-E 3.0 or not.

For European etailers that'll ship to you, I'd take a look at the list here: http://www.overclock.net/t/120293/on...lia-and-canada

Just find your country (or countries near you) and see which stores will ship to you and who has a better selection and good pricing.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm probably going to wait till December, hoping for some discounts to kick in, but now I've at least got my eyes set on what to get, thanks. All the shops local like the 2 listed are really expensive compared to others where you pay a lot less and add a few bucks for shipping. Although I've noticed CPU and mobo prices aren't that different.

Just so you know, I tried the guide posted earlier in the thread, but my drivers are still just collapsing whenever they feel like it.
                      ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

Since that card is older, you'll probably have to find a older driver that worked. In cases like this, the newer drivers sometimes have the opposite effect (aka making things worse) on older cards.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X