No Performance Gain After Upgrade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Performance Gain After Upgrade?

I just upgraded my videocard and to be honest I was expecting a much larger increase in performance than what I actually gained.

I moved from a GTX 470 to GTX 580. Here are my total specs:

Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz
    8GB DDR3 Synced with FSB
    EVGA 790i Ultra Motherboard
    EVGA GTX 580
    750w PSU

I definitely understand that the Q6600 is becoming slightly outdated and I'm not going to notice the full potential of the 580 with it. But, I should still see some noticeable gains regardless right? For instance in Hawken on the 470 I would range from 30-80 FPS and I get the exact same range on the 580. Even with the CPU bottleneck it still has to provide some sort of increase right? At this point would clocking the 580 provide any difference or is it simply time to go to the i series?

Re: No Performance Gain After Upgrade?

What is your CPU load while using Hawken? This will let you know if your Q6600 is the bottleneck. Also, have you disabled VSynch. This will allow your 580 to run frames as fast as it wants and not keep it to your displays max resolution. Speaking of resolution, what resolution are you playing, and what is your monitors resolution?

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Unless your 470 was offloading processing onto the CPU, getting a new video card wouldn't help you if your CPU already was the bottleneck.
      Grab CPU meter and GPU meter from addgadget.com and take a look at which maxes out while you're playing the games. Run the game in windowed mode to make life easier; you're really only trying to see where the bottleneck is, not stress-test things.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
      --BlackMirror
      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
      Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
      --Blackraven93

Comment

Also just as a recommendation it might be better to benchmark you're performance using a tool like Kombustor or a game that is already optimized and not subject to performance changes (e.g. Battlefield 3, Company of Heroes, Crysis 1/2, Metro 2033, StarCraft 2 etc...).
        sigpic

Comment

Most games I run at 12x10, with my setup I can max at 16x10. I definitely wish I could test on some more appropriate games, but the only ones that I have that are really going to tax my system is MWO, Hawken, and RO2. Unfortunately with RO2 it's been too long since I've last tested it with my 470 (too much has changed with the game in that time) so I wouldn't be able to get an accurate before and after. All of my other games aren't very demanding.

After running the GPU and CPU meter in MWO, which I'm pretty much getting the same FPS as before, neither the CPU or GPU is ever fully saturated. I'm not sure how much running in windowed mode will cut down on the demand, but the CPU will max at about 80% usage, for the most part staying well below that. The GPU maxes around 60% and sits in the 30-40% range.

Comment

what is your DDR3 frequency?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I believe it's around 1600, I don't remember exactly, but it is linked and synced. I think that's roughly the area for 3.4?

Comment

By the way, when was the last time you did a general inspection of the general health of your hardware, especially your board and the major components? The last thing you need are blown capacitors or other problems that normally not self-evident when checking with diagnostic programs...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

A new game like hawken, in alpha/beta phase, is not a good indicator of performance - ever. Driver support simply is not up to par, yet.
                  Skud

Comment

Good point Skud. Speaking of drivers, when was the last time you checked for driver updates for mainboard? I am guessing you downloaded new drivers when you installed the new graphics card? Have you updated firmware for the mainboard? Back to the resolution of your monitor, what size monitor are you using? What is its native resolution? What is the refresh rate of the monitor? If unsure, what model of monitor are you using? Running a game in a resolution other than that of the monitor's native resolution, can cause issues. I ran a Q6600 for a very long time, having just upgraded to an i5-2500k in January. The Q6600 is not much slower than the 2500 and can be overclocked to great effect, IF you use good cooling.

I just noticed your PSU wattage, what peripherals are you using on the system, ie..how many hard drives; types and RPM of HDD/SSD; CD/DVD/BR-ROM; PCI-E/ PCI cards; case fans; and anything else pulling power from PSU? This could cause the GPU or CPU to under-perform as they are not getting enough power. And just a K.I.S.S., are both PCI-E power connectors plugged into GPU? I know its no brainer, but I will admit to having not plugged them in.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

I'm running the most recent flash for my motherboard, my GTX drivers are up to date as well, everything else I'm honestly not sure. I decided to go ahead and upgrade my motherboard and chip though, I already have the 2700k on the way, I just need to nail down which board I want to pair it with. I was looking at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20oc%20formula

But, I'm not sure if I would have to run watercool with that setup, or if I could bypass that and just run it on air. Anyone have experience with that particular board?

Once I tear my system apart I'll have to find out exactly what type of drives I'm running. I'm not sure what rpm they run at, but I may replace those as well with an SSD. Currently I have two HDD's configured in RAID. I have a pretty old and cheap standard CD drive that I never use, and 3 case fans. Nothing major. However, I do charge my phone via USB and I'm not sure how much power that pulls.

My monitor is a SyncMaster 225bw and maxes at 16x10, I usually run my games at 12x10. Is native the max or recommend resolution? Good questions, I still have a lot to learn so can't really provide a precise answer to everything but I understand where you're headed.

Comment

Native resolution (usually) = max resolution.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well certainly upgrading the processor and board will free up some headroom for the graphics card. In most circumstances air is fine but for most gamers if you are playing longer sessions even at stock settings having a water cooler is good for longevity and it also helps transfer that heat away from the center of the case. Typically with a closed loop cooler you would mount the radiator on the back or top of your case and force air past it (most use two fans in a push/pull setup).

As for an SSD this would be a great addition to any setup as they are quick and reliable.

I see you also noted about the case fans, the important thing with case fans is to ensure that you have positive pressure inside the case forcing the hot air to your exhaust points. The best setups for typical mid/full tower type cases are several intake fans on the front, side panel, and/or bottom of the case. As for the exhaust those should be located at the rear and if possible on the top of the case, this is often much better as heat naturally rises.

As for USB charging the amount of power required is typically about 5A (may vary by device) and will be pulled from the 5V rail of your PSU. Most PSU's supply between 20A-30A on that rail so I would suspect you could charge 2-3 devices without any issues.

Also just for some clarification 16:10 is the ratio of your monitor and the resolution is 1680px by 1050px, when you say 12x10 what is the actual resolution you are referring to?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeF View Post
                            Well certainly upgrading the processor and board will free up some headroom for the graphics card. In most circumstances air is fine but for most gamers if you are playing longer sessions even at stock settings having a water cooler is good for longevity and it also helps transfer that heat away from the center of the case. Typically with a closed loop cooler you would mount the radiator on the back or top of your case and force air past it (most use two fans in a push/pull setup).

As for an SSD this would be a great addition to any setup as they are quick and reliable.

I see you also noted about the case fans, the important thing with case fans is to ensure that you have positive pressure inside the case forcing the hot air to your exhaust points. The best setups for typical mid/full tower type cases are several intake fans on the front, side panel, and/or bottom of the case. As for the exhaust those should be located at the rear and if possible on the top of the case, this is often much better as heat naturally rises.

As for USB charging the amount of power required is typically about 5A (may vary by device) and will be pulled from the 5V rail of your PSU. Most PSU's supply between 20A-30A on that rail so I would suspect you could charge 2-3 devices without any issues.

Also just for some clarification 16:10 is the ratio of your monitor and the resolution is 1680px by 1050px, when you say 12x10 what is the actual resolution you are referring to?
                            1280x1024

What's the verdict on SSD's? After reading through reviews on newegg it seems like getting an SSD, low or high-end, is a bit of a crap shoot. There are way too many people complaining that theirs went out on them within just a few months. The failure rate seems a lot higher than standard HDD's. Getting products DOA is sort of the nature of the beast, but having this sort of probability to go in less than a year has me thinking twice. Especially to see these type of reviews across the board, makes me think that the technology is still too new.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill Jay View Post
                              1280x1024

What's the verdict on SSD's? After reading through reviews on newegg it seems like getting an SSD, low or high-end, is a bit of a crap shoot. There are way too many people complaining that theirs went out on them within just a few months. The failure rate seems a lot higher than standard HDD's. Getting products DOA is sort of the nature of the beast, but having this sort of probability to go in less than a year has me thinking twice. Especially to see these type of reviews across the board, makes me think that the technology is still too new.
                              If you buy a quality SSD like an Intel 520, Samsung 830, or Crucial M4 you won't have any issues. If you're still worried just pick up a SATA III drive and live free.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X