Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing right-channel sound

Ok, I got a weird one:
    I have been constantly losing sound in the right side of my headphones. They will work for a few weeks or months, then suddenly the right side dies. I have gone through three or four headphones this year - Logitech, Turtle Beach, Plantronics, etc. Some had been somewhat damaged at times (cord chewed on one, a used one from brother-in-law, etc) but my new one just manifested the same problem. I have tried both USB and analog. I have and tried both onboard and discrete analog sound devices. I have tried the front and back USB jacks. I have looked into the balance settings on devices in Windows. Currently I'm at a loss. Anyone with any useful ideas?

I also tested the headsets on my laptop - still the same issue, which seems even more odd.
    |TG-6th|Belhade
    "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Re: Losing right-channel sound

All the same brand headphones? If thats the case it's probly the headphones and a flaw in the design combined with the way in which the device is being used.
    Have you checked wire continuity with an ohm meter? Go from the 3.5mm jack to the speaker and see if there is a break there. Does your headset have a volume control in the cord? A resistor or bad soder connection, if so check for continuity and try reflowing the soder. Maybe the speaker died? If you have any of the older headsets that pooped out on the one channel you can swap parts.
    Chew marks on the wires? That may not be it.... I have a 2 year old pair of headphones held togeather with electrical tape, exsposed wires near the phones where the adjustment sliders are...
    If the wires got cut you can'y just slice them. You have to burn off the thin layer of clear/red insulation on the wire and ether use a crimp or soder.... or black tape.

Have to see where stuff is screwing up. It may be the volume switch it'self. Bypassing there may fix the issue. Gey out the ohm meter and go from there do see where the defect is. :)

Old lady calls me up a ferw months ago. The light in her pantry works one day but not the other... So I swing by and check it out. It's one of those hanging lights with the cord that runs through a chain to an outlet. I check the fuiixture and follow the cord to the outlet. There she puts down newspapers for her chiwawa... The dog was peeing on the outlet which corroded the outlet and plug.
    Fear is the mother of all gods. Nature does all things spontainiosly by herself without their meddling.

Comment

mega, i think he said he had headphones from all dofferent companies, Maybe your just extremely u lucky :p Definitely whip out the Ohm meter, see where the connection is lost if that is the issue.
      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Your right weed. :) Was thinking happy thoughts.
        When you get a new set of phones you set the balance to normal and stuff? No hearing issues so compensating by adusting balance?

If you have the old phones check them with ohm meter. Would be very interesting to see where the issue with the lot of them is. If it's wiring or connection or short from over amperage... issue from output? The sound card... hmm
        Are you using an onboard card or an exspansiom? Front/rear jack sounds like onboard. May be worth buying an inexspensive sound card exspansion when you buy a new set oif phones and disabling your onboard sound in bios.
        I'm thinking of buying a wireless set of headphones... no wire and I can hang them up high they don't bother the children. :)

Would love to hear how the diagnostics on the heaphones goes. If you need a sound card email me and I'll mail you one after work tomorrow. Have a couple of sound blaster pci cards laying around.
        Fear is the mother of all gods. Nature does all things spontainiosly by herself without their meddling.

Comment

No, I don't have an ohm meter. As stated I do have a discrete sound card as well as onboard (motherboard) sound. But the same thing is happening to the USB headsets as well.
          |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

Has to be use... Wallymart has ohm meters for about 8-10$. What part of new york you from? Maybe I can stalk... erm loan you a meter.

Chew marks? Do you have cats/kittens? Very strange this would be happening with USB and 3.5 mm jacks and with 2-3 different sound cards.

Don't know... I use one sound card for my microphone and speakers/headphones with a splitter. The second is my video card.... HDMI to TV.
            What sound card is your headset typically attached to or do you swap them back and forth between sound cards depending on use? Got to check the wires and see if the issue is there and what kind of damage there is and go from there. Doubt it's the sound card frying the headsets. Kids in the house? My son, niece and nephew can get rather excited... and they have destroyed a few headsets by yanking on and crushing them... and even throwing them in the fish tank.

Comment

I have had this issue before and it was a connection issue at the point where the cable connects to the headphones. Since you have had this issue multiple time, it is possible that you store your headphone in such a way that may put stress on the connection point. If you don't have a problem taking the headphones apart (they are broken anyway), you may be able to find the issue (loose wire, broken/bent contact).

If you end up buying new headphones (not headset), I am sure we can give you recommendations for some pairs with higher quality sound and structure.
              Viking

Comment

^ What kind of tension is on the cable? If the cord is pulled hard once at the jack thats all it can take. If the wire is at a 90* angle to the jack in the computer its already putting mad stress on it.
                sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

It may have been stress on the cable, since no matter what I do with the headset someone (four, thirty-four, whatever) will trip over and/or somehow yank on it.

As a (temporary) solution I just bought an identical headset the the latest and pulled a receipt-return switcheroo. Ghetto, I know, but effective.
                  |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X