Router setup for NAS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router setup for NAS

So I recently setup a Terastation (HD-HTGL) on my LAN. I am running a WNR1000v3 router. My NAS has a static IP, the router is set to port forward the IP on ports 80 and 21. I can access the router from LAN, but port forward checking sites say the ports are closed. I need some assistance as this is not really my fortay (sp?) I would like to setup and FTP and be able to access the NAS for multimedia purposes.

|TG-IRR|

Re: Router setup for NAS

FTP actually runs on two ports. You need both port 20 as well as 21.

ftp-data 20/tcp # File Transfer [Default Data]
    ftp 21/udp # File Transfer [Control]
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

A Buffalo Terastation right? Those things are difficult to work with.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I think this is enough info to further help and answer some questions. What am I missing?

|TG-IRR|

Comment

NAS doesn't have default gateway configured. Set that to 192.168.3.1.

Is 75.75.75.75 correct for your DNS server in the NAS setup as well? Try 8.8.4.4 for that.

Once those things are corrected. See if you can ping 192.168.3.110 from an internal machine. If that works, try FTP to it and verify that it works internally. Once you have it working internally and know it's good, I'll help you poke a little more from the WAN side.

Comment

Did as you asked, check PMs. external port checking shows the ports are open. I think the DG was the key. I kept trying to put in the external IP as the Def Gate.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Now to figure out how to create accounts. I did this last night and it didnt end well. I could access the NAS through the NASNavi program, but not through explorer.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Originally posted by Beinseth View Post
                Did as you asked, check PMs. external port checking shows the ports are open. I think the DG was the key. I kept trying to put in the external IP as the Def Gate.
                With rare exception when asked for a default gateway or route, you want to use the IP address of the router on your own network vs. the external route your router uses.

This tells your internal stuff that by default it should send it's traffic to your router, then the router gets the traffic, knows that it's external, and forwards it on to your ISP's local router/gateway.

Comment

I got the account issue figured out. Have to go into secpol.msc and make some changes to local policies. This was great news, until I went to get my wife's computer setup. She is running home premium. No access to secpol unless someone here knows away around it.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X