Windows 8 anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 anyone?

So who is upgrading? Are you planning on getting in right away or waiting to see how it rolls out?

I am on the fence about it right now, partly because I haven't followed its progress for awhile. Been doing some reading and I don't see much improvement for me over Win7.

What say you guys?
    sigpic

Re: Windows 8 anyone?

I think this is the first version of windows that I have absolutely no interest in. I ran betas and RC's of every other version, then bought them on day one or preordered them even. I think I will skip 8 altogether unless I wind up with an intel ultrabook, but I like my 11" macbook air way too much to be heading that direction anytime soon.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I did buy the Windows 8 Pro for $39.99. It seemed like a great deal, but I don't think I'll be installing for awhile. I'm just to damn weary, Microsoft is trying to push this touch screen down desktop users throat. I'm a gamer first, and playing FPS with my fingers doesn't sound appealing at all.

Comment

Skip Millinium,install XP,skip vista,install 7,skip 8...Seems to be the pattern for me. I have no interest in installing a tablet or phone OS on my PC.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
          I have no interest in installing a tablet or phone OS on my PC.
          After have read more on it today I would have to agree with Chief. I can see playing around with it at some point but not now.
          Why mess with a system that's working.
          sigpic

Comment

After my breif use it seems like 7 with a separate page of tiles. Works fast, and its 40 bucks. Win win for me.
            doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

No need. Offers nothing over 7 in my eyes.
              Skud

Comment

I messed around with W8 on a laptop at Best Buy yesterday. Bleh, follows the pattern. I wasn't impressed with it at all. I didn't like the way it's designed. I didn't like how it went away from the standard 'start' button feature and is more like a tablet or phone. I'll wait for whatever Windows releases after 8. By that time, it should be time for a new gaming rig (then again, I may stick with 7). I'm glad I keep some spare copies of Windows 7 in case I end up getting a new laptop.

Comment

For me it also offers no significant advantage. I have four Win7 licenses floating around in my house and I do not plan on upgrading any of them.

The only feature I saw that interested me was that Windows Explorer now has a ribbon. When it was first debuted in Office 2010 I was opposed but it is one feature I have learned to live with, its different but it works and looks better visually.

sigpic

Comment

Well, I went ahead and installed it. I had to pay money to buy Start8, to get the classic windows 'start menu' back, and upon booting up, it goes right into desktop mode. I don't even have to use the Tablet/Modern UI at all. If I need to use it, I just hit the right Windows key, and takes me over to it. I removed all my desktop icons from the Modern UI, simply because if you click any of them, it takes you over to the desktop anyway.

Ps, when you 'like' Start8 on Facebook, it will give you a 10% off code, which makes Start8 only $4.50 USD.

Comment

UnDeaD, How well does the Start8 thing work? Any way of getting the old Win7 gadgets sidebar too with it?

Edit: Nevermind, found it through a Google search. Here's the link to the coupon page for those interested: https://www.facebook.com/stardocks.s...90322544333196

I don't know if I will or will not use Windows 8 on my desktops. So far, I might throw it onto my netbook or a laptop.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

What's up undead! Hey I was going to buy windows 8, but you said it only cost you 40 bucks?? Where is that from? I'm seeing it go for 80.

Comment

Whats up man!

Originally posted by so_f1y View Post
                          What's up undead! Hey I was going to buy windows 8, but you said it only cost you 40 bucks?? Where is that from? I'm seeing it go for 80.
                          www.windows.com is selling the Win 8 Pro for $39.99.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...opHP_FPP_Light

Comment

I think I'm leaning towards making the switch to Windows 8. Since this is still a fairly new build (~2 months old) and from what I can tell most of my programs should run fine (Metro UI or not), I might as well make the switch considering the better mutliple monitor support (namely the new feature whereby I can have a separate wallpaper on each screen).

I know MS has cited that Windows gadgets weren't used much, I was one of those avid users, so considering Metro apps are the only things being worked on Windows-wise, that's where the future of "gadgets" lay. It might even be an improvement if a few avid developers make a few computer status (CPU usage, RAM usage, HDD usage, network stats, etc) live apps for Windows 8, I'd be pretty set.

I'll have to see how well that Start8 and the slightly revamped desktop holds me over. If it's too weird/quirky, I'll learn to live with the Metro interface. Hopefully MS realizes it doesn't bode too well for desktop users considering it isn't a slow transition going from 7 to 8, but rather an abrupt transition.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well I choose not to do really anything within metro, simply because if I click anything desktop related, it just swaps me back over anyways. I deleted all my desktop icons that Windows places on metro UI. Using metro as more of a gadgets system seems more appropriate, actually. I'm sure some of the programs ('apps') might be interesting later down the line. Also, I feel like Start8 or any similar Start menu extension is a MUST. If you don't have it, Windows wants you to use metro to find that program, then be placed right back into desktop mode, its kinda stupid.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X