Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Advice: Build a new PC or upgrade Graphics card? Will it fit in my Motherbrd?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Advice: Build a new PC or upgrade Graphics card? Will it fit in my Motherbrd?

I'm thinking I'm going to upgrade my existing computer by getting Windows 8, a 2TB hard-drive, and Geforce GTX-670. My question is: will it fit in my old Motherboard? Here is the graphics card I want to get based on reviews: http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GV-N6.../dp/B0080I06WQ Here is my current motherboard: http://www.directron.com/p7nslifi.html

My motherboard is a MSI P7N SLI-FI LGA775 ATX Motherboard MS-7380-030, nForce 750i SLI Chipset, Supports Intel Core 2 Extreme CPU, Dual DDR2 800, SATA II RAID. ds-dh

It says it has Slots:
    - Three PCI Express X16 slots
    - The mazarine slot PCI Express X16 slot (PCI_E1) supports PCIE 2.0 X 16 mode
    - The two light-blue PCI Express X16 slot (PCI_E2 & PCI_E3) support PCI Express X8 mode only
    - Supports SLI technology
    - Two 32-bit v2.3 Master PCI bus slots (support 3.3v/5v PCI bus interface)

The graphics card has: PCI Express 3.0 x16

According to the video I watched, it will still fit in the older motherboards.

Is this correct, does anyone know?

I currently have a core2duo and 4Gigs of ram. I figured if I just upgrade, I can save over a thousand dollars. My GOAL is to have HDMI-out to my 50 inch plasma so I can play PC games in 3d. Yes, I'm a 3d whore. It would also be nice to actually be able to PLAY Skyrim and the other games that won't even run on my current setup and/or have horrible framerates.

Also, it'd be nice to actually have surround sound 7.1 from the HDMI out to my Amp.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Seeking Advice: Build a new PC or upgrade Graphics card? Will it fit in my Mother

The card will work. The card slot standard is PCI-E. The 2.x, 3.x is just a matter of bandwidth on the PCI-E bus. The interface itself has not changed.
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...ormance_review
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Exp...CI_Express_3.0

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Re: Seeking Advice: Build a new PC or upgrade Graphics card? Will it fit in my Mother

Your current mobo has a PCI Express 2.0 slot, so don't get your feathers ruffled up if you decide to go with the GTX670 and it doesn't seem to work at it's fullest potential.

Damn, running that old DDR2, huh? Well, here's what I say. Right now, upgrade the GPU. It'll help out some, but your CPU will be a bottleneck for it. You can upgrade the rest of your rig later if you feel the need to.

Comment

You should be fine. If you had a current-gen Intel CPU, I'd say you'd take at most a 5% hit in performance by going with PCI-E 2.0 vs. 3.0. Since you'll likely have a C2Q, your CPU would likely bottleneck your graphics card in demanding games on ultra/high settings. AKA, you won't get as high framerates as if you had a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge chip (or even a older Nehalem chip).

If you have a good cooler, I'd advise overclocking your Core 2 Quad. Pushing it to 3.4/3.6 GHz would help make up for the performance loss. Maybe gain you back a few frames (maybe even as high as the low teens) depending on the game, settings, and resolution you play at.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thank you all for the quick reply! I went ahead and bought the card, as well as a Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive - WD2002FAEX. Should get here by Monday. I'll upgrade to Windows 8 with the new hard drive. It seems I'll have to buy some special software to get the 3d mode to work with my tv, but no biggie. Thanks again, with this option, I figure I saved over a thousand dollars.

Comment

In regards to overclocking, it's actually a Core 2 Duo, not a quad core. I have debated about overclocking for years, but figured I'd err on the side of caution (i.e. not blow up my computer from the heat). I did place arctic silver on the cpu when I got it, so that should help.

However, I may try to overclock it if I'm feeling it 'bottleneck' the performance, as you all say. I saved a site a while ago explaining how to overclock. It seems like a lot of trial and error and A LOT of time trying to figure out the best configuration. If anyone has any advice on how to overclock, I'd appreciate any help. I'll post again once I get the card installed. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by so_f1y View Post
              However, I may try to overclock it if I'm feeling it 'bottleneck' the performance, as you all say. I saved a site a while ago explaining how to overclock. It seems like a lot of trial and error and A LOT of time trying to figure out the best configuration. If anyone has any advice on how to overclock, I'd appreciate any help. I'll post again once I get the card installed. Thank you!
              Well, overclocking will help. But remember, it is a dual core and well, older technology compared to the GPU you are getting, so it will still cause a bottleneck. I say after the AMD Steamroller and Intel Haswell lines of CPUs are released would be a time to start looking into upgrading everything else. I hear that the AMD Steamrollers are supposed to really put AMD into the game again against Intel (which I hope so, as when the AMD Excavators come out I'll really be looking into building a new rig).

Comment

He probably should be building a new rig considering how much of a bottleneck the GTX 670 is going/is causing his current rig. A lot of games use at least 2 cores now, quite a few will happily use 3 or 4 cores even (not totally, but enough so to give you a significant performance increase over a dual-core rig).
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  He probably should be building a new rig considering how much of a bottleneck the GTX 670 is going/is causing his current rig. A lot of games use at least 2 cores now, quite a few will happily use 3 or 4 cores even (not totally, but enough so to give you a significant performance increase over a dual-core rig).
                  I was thinking the same thing. A good mobo, i5-3570K and 8GB of RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116504 -One of the best CPUs you can get at the moment.
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157295
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233359 -Low profile so if you want to put a fan on them in the future.
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139030 -Semi-modular, supports SLI/Crossfire
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103099 -More commonly used heatsink, great bang for the buck.
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148442 -A popular SSD, reliable and fast.

This is basically the essentials you would want to get. You can reuse your old case, HDDs, optical drives. Price of what I put would be $1,000 including the price of the GTX 670 you listed. You could save money by cutting items, such as the SSD and heatsink and downgrading the RAM to 1600MHz or 1333MHz or getting a lower wattage PSU, but I wouldn't go less than 650W and less than 80 plus bronze certified. That would be about the extent I would go though. The key to all of this is the mobo and CPU.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, you guys. This forum is pretty awesome. You guys have been very helpful. I JUST received the new card today, so I'll install it tomorrow. SHOULD be an easy install, but you never know with pc's. I think I'm going to wait to upgrade everything else. My plan all along was to wait for a new line of CPU's to come out before going 'all out'. I'll see how it goes, but I'm probably just going to wait and follow this advice: " I say after the AMD Steamroller and Intel Haswell lines of CPUs are released would be a time to start looking into upgrading everything else. I hear that the AMD Steamrollers are supposed to really put AMD into the game again against Intel (which I hope so, as when the AMD Excavators come out I'll really be looking into building a new rig). "

Comment

That's not a bad idea. I just read up on the Steamroller's and they'll be a 3rd gen FX CPU. They're supposed to have 15% performance increase over the Piledriver, and the Piledriver is supposed to have a 15% performance boost over the Bulldozer. The Bulldozer wasn't bad (I had the FX-8150 until my AM3+ mobo died and I decided to go with a i5-2500K), it just never lived up to it's hype.

But since you are deciding to wait, I say set a budget for yourself for the build and start saving. Expect to pay around $200-250 for a good AMD or Intel CPU, peg $200 for a good mobo (although as you saw what I posted, you can get good and newer one's for cheaper than that), around $60 for RAM, $150 for a PSU (same as mobo, you can still get good one's for cheaper such as the Corsair TX line and $150 can get you some really good and more efficient ones) and $130 for a SSD if you decide to go that route (and I highly suggest to, I run 3 of them in my rig). If you decide to get everything, a WD 1TB Black Caviar HDD will run you around $120, disk drive varies on if you get a DVD or BluRay. Also, don't forget a aftermarket heatsink or liquid cooler if you plan on overclocking. Even if you don't, something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 is only $30 and will keep your CPU running cool for years.

If you live in the US, make an account with Newegg and start a wish list. Put everything you want in it, and then keep an eye on what technology is being released and compare if it's worth it to upgrade to that or not.

Comment

Yeah dude, I'll wait for the new CPU's. Money's not an issue: I just don't want to rebuild my PC every 6 months when it's running great right now. SO I received and installed the GPU into my current set up and HOLY **** did it make a big difference! I maxed out LFD and Hard Reset with VSYNC and they run buttery smooth. Wow. However, the biggest difference I notice is the audio! 5.1 dolby digital to my amp through HDMI...sounds amazing. Before it sounded tinny and it was only 2.0...even though it's listed as 5.1 through fiber optic.

One problem: The GPU won't fit in my rig!!! LOL. What I had to do to get it to fit was disconnect all the cables in the way as well as unscrew and move outside the case my hard drives. So they are screwed in the metal holder, but this holder is just slightly outside the case. Not sure if that makes sense. Anyway, I can live with this until I go all out and get a new rig. But like I said, the audio and video so far is amazing. WAAAY better than before.

I'm also on the NVIDIA website about to dl the 40.00 3dtv software so I can play all these games (especially DOOM III:BFG) in 3d. ****, now I'll finally be able to run Crysis and Metro and Skyrim.

Question: In regards to VSYNC, I still notice an input delay when I move the mouse and when it actually moves on the screen. I guess this is normal? But it can definitely run it now...before the framerate would go to **** if I threw on VSYNC.

Comment

Also, I had installed Windows 8 (upgrade from Vista) 2 days ago. LFD1 works great, but LFD2 (first time trying it with windows 8 and the new card) will run the intro, the movie, then it will fail and kick me back to Steam. I'll try to uninstall/reinstall it. My favorite game. I also bought a new BLACK 2TB hard-drive and I have 4 gigs of ram. I tried hooking up my old 1 gig each in addition to the new 2 gig each ram, but it didn't work. Everything seems to run great with 4 gigs.

Comment

Don't worry about having to build one every 6 months. I built mine in March and I don't expect to do another until at least 2014 (unless a game that is AMAZING comes out and I absolutely want to max it out).

4GB of RAM will do you well in most applications. It's not even worth trying to upgrade to 8 with DDR2 since the price is outrageous. But waiting will be worth it, as these new Steamrollers will be optimized to run DDR4 RAM, which should be hitting the market sometime next year. Lot's of things to be looking forward to if you go through with a new build.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeface View Post
                              Don't worry about having to build one every 6 months. I built mine in March and I don't expect to do another until at least 2014 (unless a game that is AMAZING comes out and I absolutely want to max it out).

4GB of RAM will do you well in most applications. It's not even worth trying to upgrade to 8 with DDR2 since the price is outrageous. But waiting will be worth it, as these new Steamrollers will be optimized to run DDR4 RAM, which should be hitting the market sometime next year. Lot's of things to be looking forward to if you go through with a new build.
                              I agree you shouldn't have to build a new one every 6 months but I would suggest taking up a tick tock approach like Intel. So you build your PC all brand new and shiny. Then 12 months later lets say your graphics performance is not on par with the upcoming games, get a second card or upgrade to the next series. Vice versa if your CPU is not fast enough buy the newest version available for your socket. In both instances only do one per year this will minimize your total cost but keep you in the game longer. I did this with my previous system and it lasted me from Q1 2009 to Q1 2012. You should only have to do major rebuilds when your motherboard socket is being discontinued. This is why I stress to all my close friends pick a great board as that is the spinal column of your computer, you can always upgrade the parts that go into it later. Now this doesn't mean the most expensive board but pick one that suits your needs now and has room for expansion.

As far as RAM goes just grab a 8GB or 16GB kit as RAM is dirt cheap. One advantage with that much memory is you can run without a paging or swap file. That way you aren't waiting on drives spinning up or decreasing the valuable lifetime of an SSD drive.
                              Last edited by DeF; 11-09-2012, 10:09 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X