Intel Z77 drivers-what to install and in what order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Z77 drivers-what to install and in what order

I made the switch a couple of months ago from an AMD processor to an Intel i7-3770K. I have been building systems for years, but rarely an Intel one. I have it up and running, but I had some issues finding the drivers. I go on Intel's site and put in Z77 chipset and nothing comes up except for their mb's. Can someone who is familiar with Intel stuff please put a list of the drivers such as chipset and ahci I need to install for an Intel motherboard and in what order? I am not doing anything fancy so no RAID drivers needed.

Intel i7-3770K
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2133
    Samsung 830 256gb
    WD Black 640GB
    EVGA 670 FTW
    Corsair AX 1200
    Fractal Arc Mini

Thanks.

Re: Intel Z77 drivers-what to install and in what order

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...GENE/#download

Plug in your OS and it'll bring up the driver downloads.

Comment

If you have issues with this, as DLing drivers for intel can be a bit over whelming at first, let me know what OS ur using and I can help walk you through some of this.

As for the order, I would do chipset>SATA>LAN>USB>AUDIO>VGA>Utilities. Ensure you are rebooting after each driver install. I know you dont have to, but its a habit that has served me well. I would also recommend downloading Ccleaner and using the registry cleaner. Some say to use in between drivers, others say after your done. I say either works, just make sure that you back up the registry every time you use it.

Here is alittle bonus, if your doing a fresh install http://ninite.com/ This nice little website with do the downloading for you of alot of the more popular programs. Web browsers, media players, IMs, runtimes, security, file sharing, and alot more. This makes life alot simpler.

Last, but not least...congrats on the board and CPU. Make sure you install all of the utilities from Asus, they will really help out when/if you decide to OC and it comes with alot of very nice programs for monitoring. The USB3 uts are nice as well.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Since it's an ASUS board, it comes with the drivers DVD.

I'll correct Beinseth's with my own, specifically for ASUS Z77:

1. Chipset (includes Intel's USB 3.0 ports)
        2. Firmware (ASMedia's USB 3.0 ports)
        3. SATA
        4. LAN
        5. Audio (can skip if you are planning on using a dedicated card)
        6. Utilities (EPU, AI Tweaker, etc.; Skip if you don't want the bloatware on your new machine).

I'll be honest, it really doesn't matter which order you install these. You can mix-and-match to your liking, as long as the first 5 (4 if you have a sound card) are installed.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I skipped the firmware for this reason "For better Windows® 8 compatibility, this tool will update the Intel® Management". This is also the reason why I asked for what OS he is using.

I also added the USB for the main reason of adding USB3 support encase he is using an external USB3 HDD for moving data during updates. Just makes it faster.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

I know he is using Windows 8. In either Windows 7 or Windows 8 cases, he'd have to install the firmware otherwise 2 of his 4 (or 6?) back USB 3.0 ports will not work (as they use the ASMedia controller and it needs drivers to function in Windows). On ASUS's site there is a drop-down for OS selection. On the DVD, it will autodetect which OS he is using and install the appropriate driver. The reason why the description will show "For better Windows 8 compatbility..." is because all the ASUS Z77 boards advertise heavily that it is Windows 8 compatible. It's there to ease the minds of those using Windows 8 and installing drivers without internet.

@ Gator,

You planning on OCing heavily on your new rig? I noticed you bought 2133 RAM which is overkill for even moderate OCs (and very expensive in comparison to 1600 RAM). If you're not planning on OCing, it's a waste of money as the onboard memory controller on Ivy Bridge chips will only use up to DDR3-1600 RAM.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X