Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GFX card...

Hi everybody,
    So i have a GTX 260 which has done me proud for a number of years now. I upgraded the rest of my system last year so it is getting time to do the GFX card now. I have traditionally stayed with Nvidia but am open to other suggestions. This was in my email today and got me thinking about it again. I'd like to stay in the sub $200, gone are the days I would drop $500 on the newest cards.......ahhh youth where have you gone?.....

Current specs are:
    CPU: Intel i5-2500k
    Heatsink: Cool Master Hyper 212 (awesome piece of equipment dropped temps by 20+ degrees)
    MB: Asus P8Z68-V Progb
    Ram: Patriot G series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 12800
    PSU: OCZ Evostream 720W (probably 5 years old?)

That should be all the important info. The sale ends today so would love to hear as many opinions as possible! :D
    sigpic

Re: New GFX card...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130771

I just picked this up. My bottleneck is my CPU but nothing to bad. My 1100T at 4Ghz is starting to show its age in benchmarks. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4711413

If your looking to stay under $200 perhaps looking into a 7850. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102984 But if you can get a deal on a 7870 for under $200 such as the one you linked I say grab it. There is a gap between the 7850 and the 7870's, more so than there was with the 6850-6870's

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

I'm personally going to try to wait till next summer for the ATi 8000 series. Some leaked spec sheets show a 20ish % performance increase with a 25ish% power consumption decrease. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen, but it's enough for me to wait for. My current 5850 should be able to scrap by till then.

Of course if I saw a 7950 for $180-200 I'd probably pick it up.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Belander I wish I could get the GTX 680 you linked! That would put a big smile on my face.

According to Toms Hardware hierarchy chart your card is still 2 tiers above mine Spyder, if I get the one from my first post it would move me up 5 tiers. I have also read that the beat bang for your buck right now is the GTX 660Ti. But I haven't seen that in a comparable price today, I really need to sit down at a como for awhile instead of trying to do this all fromy phone.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm running GTX 580s in SLI and I enjoy excellent performance. If I were buying new cards I would get the GTX 680s however at the moment at least for me it would be a waste of cash. Usually when I am upgrading I am looking for at a minimum a 40% increase in performance. I do recommend at this point that purchasing a GTX 660i is a good idea as it was released in Q3 2012 thus it will lower in price significantly until Q2 2013 at which point you could go SLI or wait till Q3 to grab a new nVidia card.
          sigpic

Comment

I picked up a 7870 recently, and it was an enormous step up from the 250GTS I had: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125418

Although it has three huge fans, it is far quieter than the 250 was...
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Buy the 7870. It'll be a huge step up from the GTX 260.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, unfortunately they were sold out when I tried to get it. Looks like I'll be searching for another great deal!
                sigpic

Comment

Thought I'd open this again rather than start a new thread.

So, with the new build I started researching GPU's and the number of products all within about $100 of each other is staggering. I've reduced my choices to probably three:

1) Add another GTX460 1gb in SLI about $130
                  2) MSI GTX 660 TF @ just over $200 and competitive with the HD7950 at almost $100 cheaper
                  http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...ance,2932.html
                  3) MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB near $300

I usually choose eVGA but for this cycle the MSI seem to offer more value.

Hopefully, several of you will weigh in with your preferences and experience just know that trying to sell me anything over $300 right now is a non-starter. If I could stretch the budget I'd have the 670 in a heartbeat.
                  Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

I don't do nVidia cards anymore but I'd advise against the SLI route. It sounds like a good idea, but it's almost never worth it. You'll always get better a better performance to price ratio from a single card solution.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

@LP

EVGA return policy and warranty is one of the main reasons to buy from them, they have the best in the business. The EVGA 660ti is an awesome card, once over clocked, it is on par with a stock GTX 680. For 299-320 dollars on amazon you can pick up several variants, with 2GB or 3GB.
                      http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008S15WCO/..._am_us?ie=UTF8
                      http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008S15XA0/..._am_us?ie=UTF8

I personally do not like AMD cards anymore, after come from AMD after many years, Both my GTX680S perform flawlessly, and I have much less driver issues.

Let is know what you decide.
                      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                      Former ARMA Admin
                      Former ARMA TGU instructor
                      Former TGU Headmaster
                      Current Noob
                      Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

I honestly haven't had any issues with drivers on my AMD cards. I won't get nVidias anymore because AMDs software is easier to use, at least to me.

Comment

Just found this!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...na&PID=3891137

EVGA 03G-P4-3661-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
                          $329.99 - $10.00IR - $32.00 promo code "HARDOCP12X6B" (10%) - $20.00MIR = $267.99 with free shipping
                          Promo Expires on 12/11/12
                          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                          Former ARMA Admin
                          Former ARMA TGU instructor
                          Former TGU Headmaster
                          Current Noob
                          Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

I have an EVGA GTX 670 and am well pleased.
                            The Old Guy
                            kin3
                            sigpic

Comment

I got a pny gtx 660 ti from newegg for $250 after $30 rebate. Works great in NS2, anything better stats dont increase as much as price tag. My fps stay high, way above the human perception ability
                              Lights Out!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X