Gaming keyboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming keyboard

Somehow I managed to spill coke all over my keyboard, and given that its just the standard Dell keyboard that came with the system, I think this is a sign it's time for an upgrade ;)
    What are your recommendations for keyboards under $100?
    May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Re: Gaming keyboard

Cooler Master Storm series keyboards. I have the Quickfire Rapid (no numpad) with cherry BROWN mechanic switches. It takes a little getting used to, but mechanical switch keyboards are the way to go. I spent maybe $70-$80 USD on www.mechanicalkeyboards.com. There's a LOT good mechanical keyboards to find on the internet. If you are coming from a regular rubber dome keyboard, cherry BROWN, or cherry RED mechanical keys should be a shoe-in. Cherry BLUE are good for gaming but lean more towards typing.

Ah I just remembered about macro keys. I have no idea about mechanical keyboards with programmable keys.
    Thrash Till Death!

sigpic

Comment

If he's going mechanical, he really needs to try them out for him/herself. Some need/want a balance between gaming and typing, others have a preference for short travel, little force, and smooth key presses (like myself) and other type hard and expect resistance from their keyboard keystrokes and rather fond of those "click click click" noises it makes every time they press down (or jam down) on a key.

Here's a quick rundown of the popular mechanical keys out there: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/me...keyboard-guide I routinely reference this guide when I'm looking at recommending a mechanical keyboard to a friend.

Personally, I'd probably skip the current crop of mechanical keyboards and wait until they have a bit more functionality to them (macro keys, media keys, volume switch/rocker/scroll, integrated USB sound cards, etc) like the current dome-cap keyboards.

For $50-$60 you could get a Logitech G110 ($60), Razer Artosa Black ($50), or a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 ($50). All three are pretty nice backlit gaming keyboards that are well uner $100 and offer some nice features include volume, mute, and media keys. The Logitech G110 is the one I use currently and even offers macro keys for your binding pleasure and a integrated USB sound card (for headsets with mics). ;)
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well he did mention "standard dell keyboard" so getting a mechanical keyboard wouldnt hurt unless he can find macro keys and extras useful. Regarding the G110, well before I got a mechanical keyboard, typing on it almost made me vomit. I have this unholy hatred for low-profile keys, can never get used to them. Guess it's the way I've been typing since I was a kid. Used to typing with few fingers while semi touch-typing. Ah yes, that overclocker's forum thread on mechanical keyboards. I read that thread over several times and it's good amount of information. Those animated cherry switch images actually came from geekhack.org. Browsed geekhack for a few weeks to figure out what kind of cherry switch would be good for me. Some member(s) were sending around a homemade evaluation board with cherry switches on it for folks to get a taste of the differences between the keys.

Acreo raises a good point because at the moment you either have rubber dome keyboards with extra functionality, or no-frills mechanical keyboards. Lots of keyboards today have media keys at least. Best thing for you SoloDaNINJA, is try-before-you-buy. And I just found some Razer mechanical keyboards.....but theres no mention of what KIND of switches, not cool. Razer search on newegg
        Thrash Till Death!

sigpic

Comment

I've got this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823114004

Works awesome, plays and types well. Backlight illuminated keyboard (full or just WASD), quick response.

Comment

Current mechanical keyboards do come with macro key and media center functionality. Max keyboard has macro keys, backlight and keyswitch customization. If you're looking for something more "basic", there's always the Das Keyboard variants. I believe Logitech and Corsair have both also released their own variants of gaming macro keyboards as well, though they've been getting mixed reviews.

|TG-Irr| Lonewolf80

Comment

Originally posted by Madcat
              Well he did mention "standard dell keyboard" so getting a mechanical keyboard wouldnt hurt unless he can find macro keys and extras useful.
              Unless he's still on a 486 and has a very old 80s era mechanical, I took "standard dell keyboard" to mean the usual fare of dome-caps that Dell has been packaging with their PCs since the 90s. Some of those have been very mushy and hard to press, others (like some more recent ones) are light and dance with half travel keys.

I believe the Razer mechanicals use red switches which is what most of the mechanical gaming boards seem to be using (that or blacks). A few are cropping up and use blues or browns.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

For some reason I cant reply with a quote :/

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Unless he's still on a 486 and has a very old 80s era mechanical, I took "standard dell keyboard" to mean the usual fare of dome-caps that Dell has been packaging with their PCs since the 90s. Some of those have been very mushy and hard to press, others (like some more recent ones) are light and dance with half travel keys.
                I keep thinking of those minimalistic Dell keyboards with the weird shape. They werent too bad, but once in a while I used one with molasses keys.

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                I believe the Razer mechanicals use red switches which is what most of the mechanical gaming boards seem to be using (that or blacks). A few are cropping up and use blues or browns.
                Im only taking a guess but those Razers I looked for on newegg.com might be Cherry Blue. They only mention the actuation force of 50g, but thats kind of hard to fathom. It might be easier for one to actually press on the different Cherry switches to get a feel for them. Examples:"Oh this one has a small bump during travel", or "Oh ok this one clicks after enough pressing.", and "Oh these keys goes straight down with no bumps, with one a little more resisitve." According to that overclockers guide, the blues have that value of 50g. Hey, you ever notice how keyboards that are exactly the same, except for the Cherry switch type, change in cost? I would think the Blues would cost more since they have a two-piece plunger.
                Thrash Till Death!

sigpic

Comment

Hmm, 50g, that could be Razer's estimate general force required to type on the keyboard, not so much the actuation force spec of Blue switches. Personally, I have only had very liberal typings on two mechanicals of recent years: a Razer and a Max Nighthawk X8. So my experience ends there pretty much. In my mind, reading the specs and other user experiences, browns sound perfect, but I didn't have trouble on either keyboard as far as typing and limited game play went. I still advocate trying them for yourself to help make up your mind. These keyboards are not cheap so don't buy one only to regret it later because you didn't like blue switches and preferred red (or what not).
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've tried my friends' high-dollar Razer, not sure what all the fuss is about, I wasn't overwhelmed. The $5 bargain bin ones work just fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
                      I've tried my friends' high-dollar Razer, not sure what all the fuss is about, I wasn't overwhelmed. The $5 bargain bin ones work just fine for me.
                      That's the impression I usually get. I know when my keys bottom and a lot of it is just muscle memory now.
                      sigpic

Comment

What about the Logitech G510? I know it's not mechanical, but for this upgrade I am not looking to go mechanical. I do plan to look into it more and find someone with a mechanical that I can at least try out for my next upgrade.
                        May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

I have the G510, So far its been pretty nice, the keys feel good.

You can turn off the windows key and other ones that would cause you to mess up while playing a game.
                          You can customize the colour of it, The screen can for some games display useful information.
                          It has an entire programmable key section, in case you like to use that.

I have split coffee on it, Dropped it, even punched it once, So far everything works, Except the volume control, My cat stole it while I was cleaning the coffee out of the keyboard and chewed it up.

Its a good keyboard in my opinion.

Comment

Reading through this thread has done nothing but confuse the issue for me. I lost my Timberwolf board to Sandy and really liked the integrated gamepad and keyboard even if I gave up some "normal" keyboard functions (right hand shift, num pad). I've tried to locate another and am currently bidding on one @ Ebay. I've been looking at the Steelseries Merc and Merc Stealth and they would seem to do most if not more than my previous board. I've aslso looked at the Logictech G110,G510,G19, and G105 and now I find myself spinning and unable to come to a decision on which to use.

I pull the keyboard into my lap most of the time especially during gameplay so independent gamepads don't really work for me (I have a Belkin Nostromo). I have to admit that since we no longer hear from Bamboo as we once did that Acreo's opinions resonate with me and he has been helpful with other hardware decisions. So I guess what I'm really asking for (Ven) is for someone else to make the decision for me or help me find a new Timberwolf, LOL.
                            Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

New listing for a Timberwolf keyboard on Ebay with a BuyMeNow tag, SOLD. Still curious what board emerges as top board in this thread.
                              Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X