Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard Supported Memory

I've got two questions to pose

What happens when you exceed the supported memory of a motherboard (i.e. 4 8gb dimms on a 32gb board with a 1gb gpu) or what effect does mixing memory sizes (an 8 and a 4 in each pair of slots) do to dual channel capabilities. I'll be pulling the trigger this weekend on a new mobo and cpu and I want to maximize the ram while its so cheap. Anyone have any complaints with the Vertex 4 SSD's?
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Re: Motherboard Supported Memory

The vertex line has always been better than the agility line. I have had no troubles with my vertex 2 but did have an older agility die on me. There are some good deals on Intel ssds right now. I picked up an Intel 330 180 Gb for $90 after rebate.

I don't know about your memory question but I'm curious to know the answer.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

The most likely scenario is the system will fail to boot because the system wont be able to the memory. Its the chipset that is the limiting factor. The reason for the max supporting memory is due to how much, per slot, the chipset can recognize. So if the max is 32 GB and you have four slots, the chipset wont recognize RAM modules larger than 8GB. You could technically install one 12 GB module, and two 4 GB modules and the system would only recognize 8 GB of RAM. The system would boot, but fail to recognize the 12 GB RAM.

As far as I am aware, the GPU memory is not considered in a motherboards max mem. If a motherboard can only handle 8GB and you have a 1 GB GPU, you can still install 8GB and use it.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Failing to boot would be a blessing. Usually mixed timings, speeds, and density RAM configs end with all kinds of crazy problems (random BSODs, repeatedly rebooting, applications running amok/crashing on start, etc). I'd advise sticking with even densities and matched RAM from one source (ex: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231569 < the RAM I use).

Vertex 4s are fine, though, I'm leery of their firmware patching. They come often, but it's not always stable and may introduce problems that don't get fixed until months later. I'd probably lean towards a Samsung 830/840/850 instead. No problems out of the box, one of the fastest SSD drives out there, and rivals Intel when it comes to reliability and performance. Failing that, my Kingston HyperX 3K is a great buy as well. One of the best Sandforce SSDs on the market and right now the 240 GB one is on sale for ~$140 on NewEgg. (Awesome buy considering I paid $230 for it back in August.)
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Sometimes bad information gets passed on and I've never seen/read anything definitive on supported memory but was told it was a summation of all the memory including the on-board modules that allow the system to boot and included the gpu mem as well. Based on this I'm going to fill the full 32gb with G-Skill Sniper 1600.
          Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X