X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone panic, Intel to kill off the Enthusiast PC builder... really

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/i...cs-go-with-it/

FTA
    In a story that SemiAccurate has been following for several months, Broadwell will not come in an LGA package, so no removable CPU. The news was first publicly broken by the ever sharp PC Watch, but the news has been floating in the backchannel for a bit now. The problem? This information wasn't floating around the OEMs or the majority of the PC ecosystem, they had no clue. What does all of this mean? Quite a bit.
    The most direct effect is that of Broadwell, the 14nm successor to next years Haswell CPU, will essentially shut out the enthusiast. Motherboards will still be available, but the CPUs that come with them will be soldered down. In addition to being a inventory management nightmare, OEMs wont buy CPUs any more, the few remaining mobo vendors and ODMs will. As a side effect, it also cuts the enthusiast out of the picture for good, but more on that later.
    So, yea. Someone please tell me i've been trolled or am missing something much larger here...
    inb4 AMD.
    Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Re: Everyone panic, Intel to kill off the Enthusiast PC builder... really

Intel may end up screwing itself... If they do that, people may start turning to AMD more so than ever which could become a very beneficial move...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I doubt this will be as catastrophic as it is seeming this early in the "game."

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Do the new CPUs not require heat transfer maintenance? No contact pads or Silver 5?
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

I do not believe that is the issue. I think the fact that they're bolted to the concrete is the issue.

I.E. No socket ergo no upgrade

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Ah, I get it. you can still mod the housing, cooling, etc. but MB will be locked to the chip. I can see some engineering benefits to that, but I'd be skeptical too.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't cpus and mobos originally soldered together to start off with.
              I can see the merits off this idea from a sales point, but it really hurts the builders among us.
              sigpic

Former Pathfinder
              Former ARMA Admin
              Former ARMA TGU instructor
              Former TGU Headmaster
              Current Noob
              Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Yeah but Bola, that was when the internet was on books.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I have very limited Tech knowledge and im not going to pretend I know anything or at least try not to, But while looking for upgrades for my computer it seems a lot of CPUs NEED a certain type of motherboard and out of the ones that will work with a certain CPU there seems to be little to no difference aside from colour and brand. I can see an issue with possibly upgrading but so far if you want to upgrade your cpu, you need a new motherboard anyways.

So I really don't see a huge issue with it, even then if their is a big problem with it, someone will just pick up that share of the market, someone always does.

Comment

Originally posted by Brainhurts View Post
                    I have very limited Tech knowledge and im not going to pretend I know anything or at least try not to, But while looking for upgrades for my computer it seems a lot of CPUs NEED a certain type of motherboard and out of the ones that will work with a certain CPU there seems to be little to no difference aside from colour and brand. I can see an issue with possibly upgrading but so far if you want to upgrade your cpu, you need a new motherboard anyways.

So I really don't see a huge issue with it, Aside from possibly upgrades and maybe cutting out third parties?
                    Yeah, a few upgrade cycles ago I was stuck in this position - wanted to get a beefier CPU, but that meant I had to get a new motherboard, which meant getting a new PSU and graphics card as well due to various issues with connectors.
                    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                      Yeah but Bola, that was when the internet was on books.
                      Lol
                      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                      Former ARMA Admin
                      Former ARMA TGU instructor
                      Former TGU Headmaster
                      Current Noob
                      Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

A lot of this has to do with providing friendly solutions to companies like HP, Dell, and the like. The more you standardize and integrate you usually get a cheaper product. Not only will these boards be cheaper especially in bulk but will decrease the time it takes to build a Desktop/Laptop and get rid of a lot of pesky RMAs. As far as the enthusiast market I would hope that Intel does not alienate that market but in any case they certainly are not killing off the desktop. One must remember that there are others always willing to fill in the gaps and AMD would be perfect in this niche.
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't like the looks of this. Aside from increasing the cost (mobo + CPU combo always), this will limit options. What if the new i5 I want doesn't come on a board with enough SATA 6 ports or PCI-E slots for me? I'd have to move up a tier which looks great to their sales people till they realize that I'm cheap and won't do it.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

That's the problem Spyder, they neither will miss or need the paltry ducats your sale represents. Its about market share and control which we've been on the wrong side since the gaming market switched to consoles. The computing market is moving to portables and handhelds (Windows 8) and we're anachronistic with our "auto-car" sized machines. The integrated machines will appeal to business class users who will only be looking for the "Intel Inside" label.
                            Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

So if I wanted to upgrade my cpu from an i7 920 quad core 2.6ghz to an i7 970 6 core which both are socket 1366 I would have to buy a new board as, that would not be good, for me anyway.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X