SSD Use and Maintenance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD Use and Maintenance

I've got questions about using an SSD as a OS drive as reading about how they work brings me to the conclusion that the more you write to the drive the faster it fails. The one I just bought gives me about a 7 year life span with moderate use and I would like to know how others are using their SSD's (what programs and applications). Knowing how much crap gets written to a C drive is there a tutorial on renaming the boot drive from the beginning. I was able to do this before but, if memory serves, it was only after I upgraded and reinstalled windows. Then I also have the dilemma of the ignorant that I'm not sure what questions I should be asking (how do you know what you don't know).
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Re: SSD Use and Maintenance

First question is what OS will you be running? My recommendation is Windows 7 (or 8 if you must) at the moment because you will take full advantage of the SSD.

And yes you are correct that SSD's have an average lifespan of about 5 to 7 years, which is based on the wear and tear of the flash cells.

In my current setup with at 256GB I keep my OS on it as well games that stream textures or require some extra umph (ex. ArmA 2, Skyrim, Rage, Planetside 2). All my other programs such as Adobe related items I keep on a SATA 6GB/s drive. One important thing to move upon installing to a SSD is your default folders (e.g. Desktop, My Documents, Music) to separate drive.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm going Win7 Pro as I still believe that Triim is supported by the 840`and this seems to be a minimum requirement and why I haven't bought one before now (besides the fact I've been waiting for the $.60/gb price point since they were initially released

$180 less Far Cry 3 divided by 250gb is less than or equal to $.56gb
      Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

SSD went into the machine today, just waiting on the 12v cable (maybe by Wednesday), Still need to work out how to rename the SSD "D" to avoid all the files that are written to "C" by default and install the OS.
        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

You can just do something like this below. All of my desktop and other files reside on my HDDs. My C drive is for my OS only as well as some mission critical apps. Also I do not run with any virtual/swap memory and my recycle bin only takes up space on my data drive. I store all my applications on one partition and all my games on another.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...ther-drive.htm

My drives as example:
          sigpic

Comment

I use my 2-240GB SSDs (OCZ Vetex)in a Raid 0, purely for gaming - it is beyond belief fast. The only thing I use that for is OS and some system programs. And yes main games. The bulk of my My Documents, Photos and stuff have been moved to a slower 2TB hard drive. Now for movies, music and huge data, I have my NAS (Synology 15TB) mapped as 5 separate hard drives, based on respective folder. The NAS is where I back up all my things, to include a image of my SSDs.

For the performance I get out of the SSDs as my OS, I am not ever worried about it crashing, it is worth any potential to fail. Make a image or backup, that's all you can do for any drive. then as you say in 7 years it may die but most probably have upgraded by then anyway.
            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Def, the 5-7 years only applies if you're blowing through 1-2 P/E cycles a day. In consumer use, you won't blow through the SSD in 7 years, it'll probably last you 10+ years.

Take a look at Anand Shimpi's abbreviated write-up on endurance of SSD NAND chips (in his review of my Kingston HyperX 3K SSD): http://www.anandtech.com/show/5734/k...0gb-ssd-review

Also have a good look at bunch of forum users over at XtremeSystems have torture tested their SSDs: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...e-25nm-Vs-34nm

Going off of these two, my own SSD will probably outlast the 8.129 years. In fact given the rather low write amplication shown in the XtremeSystems's charts, I'd speculate, my SSD could last me more than 10 years, even as much as 15 years or more.

Simply put, you'd have to write in excess of a few hundred TBs worth of data before I'd even worry about a SSD dying.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X