Help needed for sons gaming rig?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed for sons gaming rig?

I have built my son a rig awhile back and now want to update it a little.

I have 2 options but am undecided on the best way to go as i have limited funds for this upgrade.

He has:
    AMD Phenom x4 970 @ 4.015 Ghz
    Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCUII
    22" LG monitor @ 1680 x 1050
    16 GB DDR3 1600
    roughly 1TB in drives with 64 GB SSD for windows

Now the options..do i buy him a

1) Geforce GTX 670 or a GTX 680 at a push (if i can find a good price on a 680)
    OR

with the same money, buy:
    2) 27" HDMI Monitor FullHD 1920 x 1080 (instead of the 1680 x 1050 he is using now) +
    AMD FX-8350 4GHz Socket AM3+ 16MB Cache (Cores - 8, CPU Clock (Base/Max Turbo) - 4/4.2GHz) would be an easy overclock to 4.6+ Ghz

If i get option 2 then he will have to use his current graphics card for a long while until i can upgrade it but will have a faster CPU/Bigger monitor with 1080 hd resolution.
    If i get option 1, he will have a great graphics card which will last a good few years and i can upgrade the CPU/Monitor later on ( i guess i could sell the old graphics card and put it towards these items)

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Re: Help needed for sons gaming rig?

Option 2 will increase the load on the graphics card(more pixels to drive). If he runs into any performance hiccups they will be more noticeable on the higher resolution screen. The part most responsible for driving more pixels at other wise same settings is the video card, which stays unchanged in option 2. Consider splitting the cpu upgrade out of option 2 and perhaps putting that money aside for a sooner future upgrade when needed, whether that be on a CPU or GPU.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Is the mobo AM3+? If not, I say Option 1. But Option 2 would be nice. I don't think that a 560 ti will run into any problems with a 1920x1080 screen.

Comment

you wont see much gain by jumping to that new FX chip. Phenom's run right with them or out pace them.
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

yeah i got him running on a ASUS Crosshair Formula V which is AM3+/FX compatible.

From what i read from people who had AMD Phenom x4 980/ 1100t CPU'S , is that the FX 8350 is a major difference in speed.
          I think the 560Ti would run good enough for a 1080 screen..i just dont know right now whats the best option.

Maybe i will just get the screen for him right now..see how the card runs using it then decide on either the graphics card or cpu.

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
            you wont see much gain by jumping to that new FX chip. Phenom's run right with them or out pace them.
            This is the new FX piledriver Ven , not the FX bulldozer cpu. From all reviews i have read, the new piledriver vastly out performs the bulldozer cpu's.

These are a couple of reviews from people who have bought this cpu and this is what might change my mind on just getting this CPU and not the graphics card
            (also note that graphics cards go down in price, so i may pick 1 up at a bargain price in a month or so)

reviews AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8350 Black Edition 4.00GHz (Socket AM3+) - From people who bought it

"Just upgraded from a PhenomII quad core 980 BE and the performance difference is huge. I am now watercooling this piledriver CPU using a high performance xspc 360 kit and have mananged a 5.2ghz overclock which is stable on all games so far"

"I was amazed to find that it almost doubles my fps in bf3 (amd 7950). I guess my old phenom [email protected] was bottlenecking! I would drop to 40fps sometimes, now its never below 75 fps @ 1080. Very impressed!"

"Didn't expect too much from this processor, but WOW!
            AMD have really pulled their thumbs out their arse for this one!
            8.6 on Windows 8 WEI, Overclocked to 4.5Ghz no problem with my motherboard's BIOS (Asus Sabertooth 990FX).
            Didn't even need to flash the BIOS!
            If you're looking for an upgrade from a Bulldozer, GET THIS.
            I am very impressed."

Comment

Piledriver is a 15% boost over Bulldozer and I had a FX-8150. Was quite a beast, too bad mine had problems overclocking.

Well, I say option 2. The AMD 8000 series cards are anticipated to be released in Q2 of this year and from what I've read these things are going to be monstrous is performance.

http://www.techpowerup.com/176568/Pr...s-Surface.html

Plug an 8000 series GPU up to an FX-8350 and you'll have one hell of a combination.

Comment

8000 series AMD cards still don't match Nvidia kepler for gaming performance. I won't be getting an AMD card unless drivers have better support and they can match a gtx 680 performance. I'd rather buy the gtx 670 in a month or so as i get better driver support, physX and its what i am used to.

Just 1 quote from the link you posted:

"According to a report, the biggest chip from AMD's fold could pack 5.1 billion transistors"

(This chip will be competing with GK110 that has 7.1 Billion transistors. It'll be hard for AMD to beat NVIDIA unless this chip is super efficient. Even if it matches GK110 in gaming performance, GK110 will be much faster in computing tasks.)

Comment

Hobbit, I just rebuilt my system and went with the FX8350 mainly for the cost savings. I have not been disappointed and to date have had nothing even stress the cpu. My vote would be the GTX670 now as the best single upgrade to his system that would yield the best results (GTX680 is just pricey and doesn't blow the 670 away) I made my first switch from Nvidia to ATI although they were both "yesterday's cards" (always been a Nvidia fan-boy) and was impressed at how easy the switch was and how easy the Catalyst software is to use. I'm not a fan of the larger monitors unless they support an increased resolution from the 22-24".

I like the analogy of sport cars, yeah your Lamborghini may do 200 on a long straight and my Mustang may only do 140 but all you need is 55. The gaming performance for either of these manufacturers would be worthwhile solutions.
                  Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. I went for the cpu + monitor option and i told my son, that it will run very good for now and i asked advice on possible options and this is the one which works best for him right now.
                    The prices of graphics cards will go down in a month or so hopefully, so at that pricepoint, i will consider another upgrade to the gtx 670/680.
                    Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Hobbit View Post
                      Thanks for all the input guys. I went for the cpu + monitor option and i told my son, that it will run very good for now and i asked advice on possible options and this is the one which works best for him right now.
                      The prices of graphics cards will go down in a month or so hopefully, so at that pricepoint, i will consider another upgrade to the gtx 670/680.
                      Cheers
                      Make it a GTX680, he will thank you (most likely :row__572:).
                      sigpic

Comment

I got him a gigabyte geforce gtx 670 in the end.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X