Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Re: PC to become obsolete, just stream your games

Sure worked out well for Onlive..
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Not familiar with that story FB, can you elaborate?

Edit: I see what your talking about. Difference here , startup company VS Nvidia. Big difference.
      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
      Former ARMA Admin
      Former ARMA TGU instructor
      Former TGU Headmaster
      Current Noob
      Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

You have the same latency problems involved unless you stream from your PC to the handset, in which case you still need your PC.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I work as a helpdesk lackey at a business school and supposed "techie" people keep spouting this nonsense that tablets will replace all desktop machines in the coming years. I tell them they will have to tear my mouse, keyboard, and steam account details from my cold, dead hands. Yes, gaming has become mainstream on mobile devices, but those games are built around the interface to work specifically with those touch screens and have the selling point of accessibility. Angry Birds wouldn't have reached such popularity if it were just a flash game on armorgames.com.

Comment

Yeah, I tried OnLive several times, but the steam quality, and low resolution was just pure garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogalo View Post
              Angry Birds wouldn't have reached such popularity if it were just a flash game on armorgames.com.
              I lol'd.

Yeah Streaming gaming is not near feasible as a good replacement. Now if you want to stream "Angry Birds" sure why not? But then the question is why would you want to stream Angry Birds.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogalo View Post
                I work as a helpdesk lackey at a business school and supposed "techie" people keep spouting this nonsense that tablets will replace all desktop machines in the coming years. I tell them they will have to tear my mouse, keyboard, and steam account details from my cold, dead hands. Yes, gaming has become mainstream on mobile devices, but those games are built around the interface to work specifically with those touch screens and have the selling point of accessibility. Angry Birds wouldn't have reached such popularity if it were just a flash game on armorgames.com.
                The truth spoken here. If you notice one thing, consoles are becoming more like desktops these days not the other way around.
                i7-3770K l Z77 l GTX 670 l 16GB PC3-12800 l 120GB SSD and 1TB HDD l 1200W AX l Win 7 baby!

www.betawerkz.com

Comment

If business operations ever go back to the mainframe model (only replace "mainframe" with "the cloud"), we're screwed. Gaming isn't, and has never been, big enough to justify the cost of dedicated hardware development. Those top-of-the-line components you're buying? They only exist because there's a much larger OEM PC market that gobbles their slower cousins by the tens of millions. If all you need for a tablet to start functioning as a desktop replacement -- for word processing and web browsing purposes -- is a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo and a cheap, stationary LCD projector, PC gaming is headed the way of the dodo.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                  --BlackMirror
                  <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                  Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                  --Blackraven93

Comment

PC sales through the roof. PC game sales climbing steadily, as ever. Higher resolution displays hitting the market over the next few years, check. General public becoming more tech savvy and demanding higher and higher fidelity entertainment experiences check. Console gamers switching over to PC due the penetration of titles like Skyrim and BF3 and how they look compared to console version, check.

Developers and games companies who previously derided the PC gaming platform, citing piracy, not enough sales and 'Console power' now falling over themselves to provide their own digital distribution channels/portals such as UbiPlay, Origin etc, check.

Digital sales of PC games being one of the biggest secrets of the industry, previously deliberately downplayed due to the lack of a walled garden structure in PC gaming, check.

Conservative estimates of actual digital PC sales in comparison to PC boxed, between 5 and 12 times. Titles like Skyrim selling more on PC than on other platforms despite excellent sales on consoles, check.

Hardware sales of 'enthusiast GFX cards', climbing, bucking the trend that companies like Nvidia have themselves admitted they expected to see.

PC gaming has never been healthier in my opinion.

By the way Boogaloo, excellent points. I see some figurehead at microsoft has been saying she also believes touch screen pc's will overtake traditional desktops. Complete speculation, where do they get these people from. Touchscreen laptop = fail. Touch screen desktop = mega fail. Simple mechanics for a start and 'not fit for purpose'. If you need a desktop you will buy one. The ergonomics of trying to work with a 90' screen using touch for anything, yeah, say hello to Mr RSI shoulder. Yes, that's much more comfortable than the few inches of travel I have when using a keyboard and mouse. Touch screen laptop, limited use, screen gets cheetos on it and it tips over on your lap every time you prod your sausage finger at the screen, which you then have to wipe again.

Mobile gaming, I am sure it's lovely fun, different market, different audience, different mechanics. Basically, yup, its toilet tetris when you should be working lol.

Streaming, networks aren't up to it, latency. It may eventually pan out, eventually, so that some variety of software or game can be delivered in this manner. I cannot see how this will be able to effectively cater to any of the markets that demand low latentcy like FPS.

Saying the tablet or touchscreen is going to replace desktops is somewhat akin to saying the hammer is going to replace the screwdriver (I exaggerate for comic effect of course but you get the gist.

Comment

"Touchscreen laptop = fail. Touch screen desktop = mega fail"

Funny; my TF700 has gotten me so used to touchscreen navigation that I keep being frustrated by laptops when I poke at their screen and nothing happens. No RSI as yet. But then, the 90-degree thing is a red herring -- laptops almost never get used with the display at 90deg.

Instead of declaring that tablets will never replace desktops, why not ask: What must happen to tablets so that they can fill the roles desktops currently hold?

--BlackMirror
                      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                      --Blackraven93

Comment

They can replace a desktop when they have the peripheral and performance options of a desktop for a similar price.

When there is a tablet I can buy for less than $1000 and can run planetside2 (or whatever game is the hardware killer at the time) at 1080p (or whatever the high resolution standard is) on an external display, work with any peripheral i plug into it, have modular design so I can replace or upgrade parts for reasonable prices, then I will buy one. And it will need to come with some sort of dock so I can come home, set it in its cradle, and be completely usable with all of my peripherals.

That said, I don't even own a laptop. I just have a Gaming PC, HTPC cobbled together from old PC parts, and an android phone.

Comment

Why would they need a tablet to run Planetside 2? You've ignored my original point -- gaming hardware enthusiasts aren't, never have been, and never will be, the primary driver of the PC hardware market. They're icing on the cake, not the cake itself.

Modular design? Forget about it. We had a similar discussion when Intel announced non-upgradeable chip/mobo combinations. You think they haven't crunched the numbers before coming up with that particular business strategy? 95% of people don't change the default settings on their *word processor*, you think they're going to go dig into the guts of their computer?

You and I, simply by virtue of having this discussion and being subscribed to a tech forum, have already marked ourselves as far removed from the average desktop PC owner. Stop thinking high-end, high-CPU-load games, start thinking a pair of 30-somethings with 2.5 kids and a dog, doing their family accounts and looking up educational videos for their kids on the living room family computer. Start thinking standardized architecture that hooks into the corporate server farm via PVN and sells based on TCO savings. That's what drives computer hardware innovation. You and me? We're sitting on the margins, pretending to be more important than we actually are.

--BlackMirror
                          --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                            Sure worked out well for Onlive..
                            No kidding, at the 2009 GDC presentation I made a very clear statement to the marketing director, "You know this isn't going to work, right?" Now the company has been bought out at a ridiculously low price because of the ex-CEOs agenda.

Nvidia on the other hand has been making high performance computing devices for years. They are a staple in both the consumer and enterprise markets. I think they have the chops to realize this process but will it still be possible... Yes, in theory but here in the US we just don't have speed as compared to place like Japan and rural China.

Personally I do not care for this whole streaming empire because I like to own my games and be able to see the data involved.
                            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X