Are people over buying hardware?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are people over buying hardware?

A coworker next to me dropped $500 on a cpu, over $500 on a video card. I also see people spending a lot of money on hardware and I question would they notice if you swapped the hardware with something that cost half as much. Note this coworker doesn't do much gaming.

I consider myself frugle and try to buy the most for my money. Got an awesome case for $30 shipped that had great reviews. I question why go for something that costs 4x more? I think I might have overspent by getting the board that was xfire compatible. Don't think I will ever use it.

I like to look at benchmarks and reviews to help me figure out what I should buy. Then upgrade a couple years later.

Is it more like people want to have a blazing fast system, like a person who would buy a Lamborghini? Or do people really utilize there to its fullest? Or do some people only upgrade every 4 years so they get something that will last?

I find the games run great for the settings I run them on. I also think that some of the "higher" settings can have a negative effect on your game play i.e. shadows, etc.

I have been really out of the hardware side and more on the software, since the socket 7 was king. So please enlighten me, if I come across as ignorant. My first instinct is to say do you really need that, though at the same time I don't want them to feel bad for buying it.

Solarity
    Lights Out!

Re: Are people over buying hardware?

Originally posted by solarity View Post
    A coworker next to me dropped $500 on a cpu, over $500 on a video card. I also see people spending a lot of money on hardware and I question would they notice if you swapped the hardware with something that cost half as much. Note this coworker doesn't do much gaming.

I consider myself frugle and try to buy the most for my money. Got an awesome case for $30 shipped that had great reviews. I question why go for something that costs 4x more? I think I might have overspent by getting the board that was xfire compatible. Don't think I will ever use it.

I like to look at benchmarks and reviews to help me figure out what I should buy. Then upgrade a couple years later.

Is it more like people want to have a blazing fast system, like a person who would buy a Lamborghini? Or do people really utilize there to its fullest? Or do some people only upgrade every 4 years so they get something that will last?

I find the games run great for the settings I run them on. I also think that some of the "higher" settings can have a negative effect on your game play i.e. shadows, etc.

I have been really out of the hardware side and more on the software, since the socket 7 was king. So please enlighten me, if I come across as ignorant. My first instinct is to say do you really need that, though at the same time I don't want them to feel bad for buying it.

Solarity
    There are different philosophies on this. Some people just want the best of the best and who cares if they actually use the power. Sorta like building a hot rod. Is it going to get you from point a to point b any faster? Probably not. But you do have a ton of bragging rights none the less.

Comment

Yeah. Its a niche hobby market. The car analogy is actually spot on.

Comment

Motives aside, I think a lot of people really do over-buy on hardware. There are a few areas where it's important, and others where it really isn't, at least when it comes to gaming. YT's perspective of it being a niche hobby market is true, but only for those who do it as part of their niche hobby. But in the hobby market, you're not really "overbuying" because you're doing it intentionally to make a bad-ass rig.

Video/Audio/Photoshop users tend to use more overall system resources as it's quite common to have multiple applications open with large amounts of RAW data. When it comes to gaming, video cards and memory are utilized in more aggressive ways than the A/V types.

When I edit video pulled off my GoPro it's a massive resource hog and more resource intensive over-all than any game I've played. But as above, just throwing video up on my screen doesn't really stress the GPU at all as I'm not asking it to do massive amounts of 3D work in real-time at high framerates.

Back when I cared to spend the time, I was heavy into overclocking just to see how fast I could get a machine to run and still be stable. Back in my AMD days, I was cutting rebuilding traces on the Athlon XP 1800+ through 2500+ CPUs to unlock the multipliers. These days; It doesn't matter to me very much. I build according to what I'm going to do with the machine and put the extra dollars towards making my car overpowered. :)
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
          Motives aside, I think a lot of people really do over-buy on hardware. There are a few areas where it's important, and others where it really isn't, at least when it comes to gaming. YT's perspective of it being a niche hobby market is true, but only for those who do it as part of their niche hobby. But in the hobby market, you're not really "overbuying" because you're doing it intentionally to make a bad-ass rig.

Video/Audio/Photoshop users tend to use more overall system resources as it's quite common to have multiple applications open with large amounts of RAW data. When it comes to gaming, video cards and memory are utilized in more aggressive ways than the A/V types.

When I edit video pulled off my GoPro it's a massive resource hog and more resource intensive over-all than any game I've played. But as above, just throwing video up on my screen doesn't really stress the GPU at all as I'm not asking it to do massive amounts of 3D work in real-time at high framerates.

Back when I cared to spend the time, I was heavy into overclocking just to see how fast I could get a machine to run and still be stable. Back in my AMD days, I was cutting rebuilding traces on the Athlon XP 1800+ through 2500+ CPUs to unlock the multipliers. These days; It doesn't matter to me very much. I build according to what I'm going to do with the machine and put the extra dollars towards making my car overpowered. :)
          I once did tried the bleeding edge, though I got cut and found it more stressful than going with proven technology. I do stay ahead of the curb to allow me to have a great gaming experience though I try not to go over board. I do have a bunch of other expensive hobbies (scuba diving and boating). So I guess I do budget myself so I can get most bang for my buck. What car do you drive?

Lastly what GoPro do you have? I got the Black and used it when diving. Shot 1080p @ 60fps w/ a cyan filter to add more red back. I am thinking of doing some editing as some parts of the video can be a little boring. Any suggestions on video editing tools?
          Lights Out!

Comment

Originally posted by solarity View Post
            I once did tried the bleeding edge, though I got cut and found it more stressful than going with proven technology. I do stay ahead of the curb to allow me to have a great gaming experience though I try not to go over board. I do have a bunch of other expensive hobbies (scuba diving and boating). So I guess I do budget myself so I can get most bang for my buck. What car do you drive?

Lastly what GoPro do you have? I got the Black and used it when diving. Shot 1080p @ 60fps w/ a cyan filter to add more red back. I am thinking of doing some editing as some parts of the video can be a little boring. Any suggestions on video editing tools?
            Scuba and boating, neither of which are cheap! I finally got OUT of boating 2-3 years ago as I just couldn't afford it any more. $6-7 dock gas is kind of prohibitive.

I drive a tuned E90 BMW 335 with a few mods. I thought about buying a new video card (or two) recently and getting my SLI on, but I also want to pick up a new Helix stepped core intercooler for the car. I think the IC is going to win out on the video cards. :)

I have the GoPro Hero2 with the auto kit. Oddly; it also came with the surf kit for some reason. I think that was a mistake on Best Buy's part though. As for video editing, i'm a huge fan of Sony Vegas (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware) on the PC.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I have a few friends that say I overbought on my PC, but I knew I needed to build something that would last me 2-3 years. So I did. Put me out $2,000, but it was worth it.

Comment

I think part of the issue stems from the difficulty in determining what will actually give one a performance boost. When was the last time anyone here trusted the "minimum" hardware requirements listed on the box? When was the last time those reflected any sort of reality?

Between MHz ratings no longer being an indicator of performance, the difficulty of determining what exactly is the bottleneck in your system, the difference between synthetic and real-world benchmark stats, and the manufacturers' tendency to change "OMG THIS IS THE ALL-IMPORTANT VALUE" advertising thrusts more often than they change underwear, it's just less of a headache to overbuy when the budget allows, and just not worry about the whole thing for a while.

Top that off with the headache of buying low- or mid-range hardware: Prices get stuck at a certain point and don't actually scale with performance. You'd think a 1TB drive would be half the price of 2TB or even less due to the cutting-edge markup. You'd be wrong.

Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Kit - $170
                Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - $110
                Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - $80

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                --BlackMirror
                <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                  Top that off with the headache of buying low- or mid-range hardware: Prices get stuck at a certain point and don't actually scale with performance. You'd think a 1TB drive would be half the price of 2TB or even less due to the cutting-edge markup. You'd be wrong.

Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Kit - $170
                  Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - $110
                  Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - $80
                  Well in this case if it we're a pack of two hard drives it would have been half price. All hard drives in a class are basically the same except for the head precision (usually the same) and the platters density. This is why pricing has a base and increases from there. Think of it like different versions of a car (e.g. V4 FWD, V4 AWD, V6, etc...).
                  sigpic

Comment

'' Are people over buying hardware?''

I can't stop buying hardware.

Today I just bought 6x2gb 1600mhz ram sticks because I didn't like the 3 empty spaces in my ram slots running 3x2gb sticks.
                    Oh and some noctua 120mm fans, and a 120gb samsung 840 ssd.

Honestly, I could have probably saved my self the 200 bucks, but I like to have the best. Go on overclock.net and read some of the build threads there , absolutely ridiculous. You see things like this

''Hey I have a spare 15 grand just lying around, what should I build"

One bloke on there needs a forklift to move his computer into his truck. Honestly, most people do it for the Epeen factor.

There are a lot of tests out there that show that most games only require around an i3 running at 3.3 ghz + to have playable frame rates.

uploadfromtaptalk1358414508388.jpg

APO, as you know, I did the whole car hobby thing. House deposit x 3-4 times later , I discovered PCs are cheaper.
                    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                    Former ARMA Admin
                    Former ARMA TGU instructor
                    Former TGU Headmaster
                    Current Noob
                    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

I was introduced to the PC Gaming theatre 15 years ago thru my sons. Around 2002, when the original Ghost Recon by Red Storm came out I started to move from flight sims to FPShooters. Any way, all the systems I used were hand me downs from my sons upgrades. So, this January I decided to finally buy my own rig with alot of input from Intel and Amd users and decided to go Intel.

This is what I finally put in my Anteck case that had a bottom loaded power supply:

GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard

Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

Vengeance Series 32GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL 10 Quad Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Four 8GB Memory Modules)

840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 250GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

GX Series 750W ATX Power Supply

I did add a new Bluray R/W a week later and all this for $850.00

I am happy my sons are now the envious one's.

I don't think I over paid just to have a faster machine but rather just so I will beable to enjoy my time at the computer, by the way does anyone know of a good deal on computer chair seat belts?

p.s. I am currently running an Invidia 560 Ti and won't need to upgrade until maybe next Fall or when Arma3 comes out.
                      Last edited by SARGE; 01-17-2013, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeF View Post
                        Well in this case if it we're a pack of two hard drives it would have been half price.
                        Only if 1TB suddenly became half of 3TB.

...huh, weird. I swear there was more to my comment. Not sure where it went. Let's try that again...

You make a good point about there being a base price to the technology. I can understand that with new items. The problem is, unlike with other products, even outdated items don't seem to drop below that point. Look at DDR RAM, for instance. TigerDirect has 512MB sticks of 400MHz for $15... and 8GB DDR3 for $43. Hardware manufacturers seem to lack either the ability or the desire to capture the low-end retail market. I wish I knew why.
                        Last edited by Cheburash; 01-17-2013, 12:32 PM.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                        --BlackMirror
                        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                        Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                        --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                          Only if 1TB suddenly became half of 3TB.

...huh, weird. I swear there was more to my comment. Not sure where it went. Let's try that again...

You make a good point about there being a base price to the technology. I can understand that with new items. The problem is, unlike with other products, even outdated items don't seem to drop below that point. Look at DDR RAM, for instance. TigerDirect has 512MB sticks of 400MHz for $15... and 8GB DDR3 for $43. Hardware manufacturers seem to lack either the ability or the desire to capture the low-end retail market. I wish I knew why.
                          Oddly enough the company I work for the old servers cost more for maintenance and support than the new ones. The parts are harder to find and to keep people that focus on the older stuff cost more than the new technologies. Though when you have millions of dollars of revenue using a computer environment, there is hesitation to upgrade and do anything that might jeopardize your up time.
                          Lights Out!

Comment

Originally posted by SARGE View Post
                            I was introduced to the PC Gaming theatre 15 years ago thru my sons. Around 2002, when the original Ghost Recon by Red Storm came out I started to move from flight sims to FPShooters. Any way, all the systems I used were hand me downs from my sons upgrades. So, this January I decided to finally buy my own rig with alot of input from Intel and Amd users and decided to go Intel.

This is what I finally put in my Anteck case that had a bottom loaded power supply:

GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard

Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

Vengeance Series 32GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL 10 Quad Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Four 8GB Memory Modules)

840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 250GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

GX Series 750W ATX Power Supply

I did add a new Bluray R/W a week later and all this for $850.00

I am happy my sons are now the envious one's.

I don't think I over paid just to have a faster machine but rather just so I will beable to enjoy my time at the computer, by the way does anyone know of a good deal on computer chair seat belts?

p.s. I am currently running an Invidia 560 Ti and won't need to upgrade until maybe next Fall or when Arma3 comes out.
                            I have the same mobo and CPU, though i only have 8GB of ram. I did also hold of on the blue ray myself (got one for $25 shipped off Newegg) because I didn't know new mobos didn't come with IDE for older CDROMs.

Have you played around with over clocking? I do think sub $1k is a good budget for a serious gamer who doesn't want to go overboard.
                            Lights Out!

Comment

@solarity, no I have not played around with over clocking as I am not to familiar with it and my in-house tech team (my sons) say I really don't need it. The momentum of what I have is sufficient to carry me to where ever I want to go and it's never wise to go faster then you can see in front of you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X