Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD and Core 2 Extreme

Hello fellow TGers'

I have as many of you held off in purchasing a SSD drive. My main reason was the price at the time.
    Now that the price per gb have seemed to have plateaued. I am again browsing around the web.

I was advised by LpBronco yesterday, that the samsung 840s were/are good pick. I agree with him and I'm sure there are others out there.

My current system is as follows:
    Core 2 Duo E7400 @2.8Ghz over clocked to 3.4Ghz
    Asus P5QLE motherboard
    4GB RAM DDR2
    3x HDDs
    1XCool video card thanks to Bolagnaise

My motherboard specs read that I have 6x Sata @3gb/s. which means that it is SATA 2?

Now just comparing the transfer speeds of my spindle drives vs SSD. The obvious winner is the SSD. But what other options are there to utilise the transfer speed of the SSD to be faster/more efficient? Or am I better off just to install it as is via Sata cables to be child proofed, aka me.

Also, I'm looking to upgrade my CPU. Something quad core and faster. I read & have been informed that the Core 2Extreme is worth a look (thanks LpBronco); Now there is apparently a 'bad' version in between the ranges of the Core 2Exreme series, anyone know which version that might be?
    I am also willing to over clock the CPU once purchased. Hopefully near the higher end of 3Ghz range. Getting close to 4.0Ghz. I already have a moderate CPU cooler.

Any assistance would be appreciated!
    Last edited by LowSpeedHighDrag; 01-20-2013, 06:30 PM. Reason: CPU info wrong

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Re: SSD and Core 2 Extreme

I do not know much about many of your more technical questions but after seeing Bronco's posts about his Samsung 840 I picked up one as well and have nothing but good praise for it, even though my laptop can only run it through SATA 2.

Former TG-21st
    Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Your Mobo is Sata2 and that is what the SSD will run at until you get a new mobo or I believe there is hardware available that you can install to run it at sata 3. Even at Sata 2 the SSD is much faster than a regular spinner HD. Your Mobo now keeps you from doing much upgrading such as a newer CPU, DDR3 memory, and Sata @6GB. Memory is pretty cheap now and the Intel I5 3570K CPU is a great gamer at a reasonable price.

Comment

Thanks Chief

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

SSD and Core 2 Extreme

What kinda price range are you looking to spend? Because like Chief said the 3570k is a good one for the price and sticking with 1155(?)socket is also a cheaper route. If price isnt so much an issue than Id suggest moving up to the big boy socket, 2011 and the 3930k CPU. Between the two itll run you around 800 bucks but with good cooling you can reach nearly 5ghz..stabily.

As for your SSD, besides going to SATA 3 you could pick up a second one and run them in RAID which will give you blistering speeds.
          sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

SSD and Core 2 Extreme

@gijoe

Not much. I have other financial commitments to tend to. I'm just looking for ways to maintain my components and just upgrade the parts that will prolong it for a bit further.

Comment

The Extreme series cpu's are usually expensive. I don't know the pricing of older ones though. A speed of 3.4 GHz isn't that bad. If you are only gaming, browsing the internet, and checking email, the processor you have should be fine (unless of course you are noticing the cpu bottle-necking a task).

The SSD will give you a fast start up time for your OS and programs you put on it. Some games pull data from the hard drive a lot, so it is possible to notice improvements in game as well. Overall, everything just feels snappier.

I'd get the SSD for now and give it a feel. Depending on the cost, investing in a new cpu with old technology may not be worth it.
              Viking

Comment

Here is the hardware to give you @6 gb with a @3gb Mobo; http://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-Rock...ords=asus+u3s6

Comment

SSD and Core 2 Extreme

Thanks all!

I'll take your suggestions on board and into consideration for sure.

Again, thank you gents.

Comment

Honestly, I'd save up for a new rig. Core 2 Duos (as most dual-cores) are fast becoming the minimum needed for gaming. Considering the age of the rest of your hardware, a new build would be more cost effective over upgrading.

If you must upgrade, look at adding another 4 GBs of DDR2 RAM to complement the 4 GBs you have now. Then turn off the Windows page file (RAM > HDD virtual memory). You can get a SSD, but as others have pointed out, you're limited to what the SATAII port can carry. It'll still be significantly faster than any of your HDDs (RAIDed or otherwise).

If you opt for a add-on card for the SATA3 ports, keep in mind that your SSD will have to rehooked into a SATA2 port on your motherboard if you ever do a wipe of your drive and install a new OS (or reinstall Windows). The card will need the drivers installed first in order to function properly and thus your SSD if hooked into it won't be accessible.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Windows page file, I'll look into that also. Thanks Acreo Aeneas.

Comment

Today's forum is showing a QX6700 at Amazon for $125. So much for how expensive they use to be.
                        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Originally posted by LpBronco View Post
                          Today's forum is showing a QX6700 at Amazon for $125. So much for how expensive they use to be.
                          That would be viable alternative to hold you over until you have money for a new build. Just be sure to get a aftermarket cooler to go with it. Those Core 2 Quads tend to run hot at full load.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would hold off on a SSD as that will mainly help map loading and os loading. If I was in your place I would upgrade cpu/mobo/ram and maybe video depending on what you have. I have a 3750k and a gtx 660 ti, but I am using a 500gb 5.4k rpm laptop hdd still outload most people in games due to cacheing and game settings.
                            Lights Out!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X