Looking for a laptop for Civ 5 and multimedia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a laptop for Civ 5 and multimedia

I'm looking for a laptop and I'm having trouble deciding which one is right for me. Basically, I use my laptop mostly for multimedia (web and video) so I need something that can handle that with a fairly long battery life (around 3 hours minimum without a battery charge).

My secondary requirement is that I want to be able to play games on it, like Civ5, which has some pretty hefty system requirements. This doesn't have to be done on battery though, I can do that with it plugged in.

I've heard that there are some laptops that use two different video cards (or 2 different modes) - one for graphics-heavy games and another for normal use which uses less power. But I'm not sure if that applies to multimedia streaming video.

I've already been referred to Velocity Micro's M15 laptop (specs below), but I'd like a second opinion. VM seems to be a pretty solid company for PCs and I love that they're 100% USA tech support, so I'm definitely leaning towards the M15.

[pulled from Velocity Micro's site:]

Intel® quad core (i7-3630QM, i7-3740QM, or i7-3840QM)
    Discrete graphics solution in the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670M
    15.6" 1080p LED backlit display with matte finish screen
    Solid State Drive options for quick boot up and fast response
    8, 16, or 32GB DDR3-1600 SODIMM
    Wireless connectivity with Bluetooth and 802.11b/g/n
    Wired connections High def video out, Display port, USB 3.0, eSATA, and Firewire
    Rigorous quality control testing
    Thorough performance benchmarking

(i know i posted this in another forum, but I'm looking for an array of opinions)

Re: Looking for a laptop for Civ 5 and multimedia

Was there a budget or just looking to meet your requirements?
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Well, my word of advice is to be very very careful when purchasing laptops that are geared for high performance applications and games for heat and their reliability. I suggest you be very careful when looking at the graphics cards used in the laptop. I got an ASUS ROG G73Jh with an ATI HD5870 mobility in it, but the problem with it lies with the inability to update the drivers, so many games have trouble with it...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Namebot, I don't have a set budget, just looking to meet my requirements.

BeSiege82, Their site just says "integrated custom CPU cooling solution", so I don't know.

Comment

Hmmm, well, I am curious about that then...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I bought an HP from Costco.com last year and have been quite pleased with it. I've played many hours of Civ5 on it. Even played some HL2 on it. Haven't tried NS2 yet.

I just used their site to build it how I wanted: SSD, lots of RAM, graphics card, i7, etc... Came to just over a thousand bucks. Mine's more of a desktop replacement than a really portable laptop. It's heavy and fairly rugged. It's my first HP and I'm impressed.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

So thier product reliability has improved or did you manage to find a miraculous specimen?

Comment

I have managed with HP laptops for the last number of years and found them to work quite well. I usually find the best that is available at a local shop and then look/wait for refurbs. My current laptop (2 yrs old now) is an HP with an i7 Q720 6GB RAM w/ a 5670 mobile GPU. I have found it to be more than adequate for civ5, can run BF3 on low settings and I have done some video and picture editing on it. It was originally purchased for work but I use it for a lot more now. I had one issue with it and that was over heating, I called HP support they sent me the packaging needed and had the laptop back within 10 days from when I shipped it with a new battery too (even though I hadn't mentioned anything about that issue).

Not if this helps but I've been happily surprised by my last 2 HP laptops.
                sigpic

Comment

Hilbilly, I have to say that I am shocked, but I must make one comment. My first laptop was an HP... It still works... has a mobile celeron 1.6 and 512mb ram and a Radeon 340 IGP... ya... the problem is that it has no screen... I stay away from HP because of the screen. I ended up taking the screen off and connecting it to a CRT... It also survived a can of coke too...

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                    Hilbilly, I have to say that I am shocked, but I must make one comment. My first laptop was an HP... It still works... has a mobile celeron 1.6 and 512mb ram and a Radeon 340 IGP... ya... the problem is that it has no screen... I stay away from HP because of the screen. I ended up taking the screen off and connecting it to a CRT... It also survived a can of coke too...
                    Sounds pretty reliable to me, considering the abuse!

We use HPs at work and haven't seen any problem with the 200 or so that we've had for about a year now. I'd never heard that HP laptops were unreliable before...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I have seen the screen issue before. My dad and I had the same HP laptop about 4 or 5 years ago. About a year ago his screen just died on him one day while mine is still working fine and I used it a lot more than he did. We bought them at the same time too. Was nice that we has the same systems , made it really easy to just swap HDs and backup his data.
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X