Just Started Self Learning Java

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Started Self Learning Java

So I'm about 1/2 - 2/3 through "Java Programming for Dummies" and after this I'm going to start working on creating my own stuff but is there anyone in these forums with Java experience and may be has some recommendations whether it be other languages or a book that assisted them?
    "We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
    - Colonel Chesty Puller -

Re: Just Started Self Learning Java

I have always want to work these problems, but I haven't got around to it: http://projecteuler.net/
    Viking

Comment

I'm going to sleep but I'm gonna hit these things up tomorow and see what they're about.
      "We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."

Comment

The official Java 7 API is something I'd bookmark or keep open in your browser. Great reference when it comes to methods (aka functions) that I'm not familiar with or unsure of. :)
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

wow, I was looking for something similar to this. Thank you. HTML was so much easier haha, Java has a lot to take in.

Comment

HTML is like super easy scripting and JAVA is a full-on computer language. The two really shouldn't be compared in my opinion as HTML isn't even a programming language (it's just markup). :p If you want practice beyond small programming challenges, I'd would start on your own little project and try designing and coding it from the ground up. You don't have to reinvent the wheel (so to speak), so I'd probably look for something doable and attempt it.

For example: I wrote a very basic AI for Monopoly (still needs tons of work to be a true AI in any sense). I wrote in the board and the game and some of the various cards. So you could play against the "computer" (all pre-programmed, no learning capability), go around the board, and the program would be able to track your movement and if you landed on certain spaces, it would trigger a certain response, etc.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If you like Arma and are looking for a reason to learn Java this may give you some encouragement. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...highlight=java

Comment

A great site to start with as well is codeacademy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                  A great site to start with as well is codeacademy.com

Amazing site! I'm going to run through the Java class and definately save to favorite. Not sure how I've never heard of this website before.

Comment

Hello World...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X