New mSATA SSD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New mSATA SSD

My Gigabyte MoBo has the mSata SSD slot that I just couldn't leave empty so I ordered a 64gb one for $55 and it will be here tomorrow, I have new FW to install before I use it because it destroys all data during FW updates. I have the software for Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed so the mSATA can be used as a cache drive in raid with my regular HDD and speed up that drive. Are any of you Super Geeks using this technology able to tell me how it is working for you? If I don't use it that way I can always use it for a regular SSD.

Re: New mSATA SSD

I don't personally use it Chief but you will see definite improvements.
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Improvement will be minor at best if you have plenty of RAM already, use a SSD as a boot drive, and/or don't use the Windows page file currently. If you don't, you should notice some increased performance, notably when virtual memory kicks in. If you were to use Intel's Smart Response Technology to help cache frequently used files and apps (basically how hybrid drives work), then you'd notice a even nicer increase in performance. Files and programs you use the most would eventually load far faster than other less used files/apps.

Obviously, a cache drive is no replacement for a SSD boot drive. The difference between the two is still night and day.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks Acero, I am just using it as a regular SSD. I couldn't believe how small this is, it came in the box with some other stuff and I almost couldn't find it.

Comment

Yeah they are tiny. Meant for ultraportables like tablets, super thin ultrabooks, netbooks, and the like. Too bad they max out at 240 GBs right now. Soon you might start seeing 480 GB mSATA SSDs, but you'd probably have to wait at least a few months if not the rest of the year for them to come to market.

Since you are using it as a regular SSD, do the following:

After installing Windows:

1. Disable/Turn Off Windows Page File (RMB Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings (on left) > Advanced tab > Click Settings under Performance > Advanced tab > Click Change under Virtual Memory)
          2. Disable/Turn off indexing on the SSD (RMB C Drive (or whatever letter you used) > Properties > Uncheck "Allow files on this drive to...")
          3. Check if TRIM is enabled (it should be). You can use CrystalDiskInfo to check if it is enabled.
          4. Make sure Disk Defragmenter never runs on your SSD. SSDs don't arrange data the same way HDDs do so disk defrag does nothing to help.

Here's a more complete list of things to do for your SSD: http://maketecheasier.com/12-things-...s-7/2012/05/11

This will save your new SSD from a lot of needless writes. Thus helps prolong the lifespan of the NAND chips on the SSD. :)
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The last few times I installed Windows 7 it automatically enabled TRIM and turned off the defragger. Probably still a good idea to check but I think it's smart enough to do it on it's own.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

TomsHardware had an article on these recently. Let me know how it affects your performance, Chief.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I now have a regular HDD, Three SSD's and now a mSATA SSD installed on my computer. I have been using a SSD as my OS/Boot drive for almost three years so I am not a total noob. I was just going to try to use the mSATA as a cache drive for my HDD in raid like the hybrid drives, not because I have to, just because I want to. I will peruse the info on this technology more thouroughly and "git r done" eventually. Thanks for all the pointers on SSD's, you never have to much info.

Comment

I thought about doing this, though wish it was sata 3 instead f 2 on the mb.
                  Lights Out!

Comment

In day to day usage, I highly doubt you will see a difference between sata 2 and 3.

This article does a great job outlining Sata 2s weaknesses....in benchmarks....and then you go to page 7 and you can see that as a normal user, there isn't much between the 2 technology's.

http://m.tomshardware.com/reviews/sa...ps,3110-7.html
                    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                    Former ARMA Admin
                    Former ARMA TGU instructor
                    Former TGU Headmaster
                    Current Noob
                    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Though a sata 2 msata cost more than a standard size sata 3. Only thing I really like elimaniting an extra hdd or have no wires going to a HDD. I was about to get one though finding out it was sata 2 made me less interested.
                      Lights Out!

Comment

The empty mSATA slot on my motherboard kept calling to the inner geek in me, even though it is SATA @3GB I just had to put something there. Its still faster than my spinner and I have Three @6gb SSD's for my OS/boot and game drives, plus the price was right.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                          The empty mSATA slot on my motherboard kept calling to the inner geek in me, even though it is SATA @3GB I just had to put something there. Its still faster than my spinner and I have Three @6gb SSD's for my OS/boot and game drives, plus the price was right.
                          I know what u mean, I guess if I already had a SSD I would be looking to fill in my slot. I have the ga-z77x-d3h
                          Lights Out!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X