Data recovery service?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data recovery service?

Anyone have a data recovery service to recommend? My wife's external HDD went kaput and I just took it apart and put the internal HDD in my PC and it's the same thing: disk spins up in a pulsing pattern and the PC sees nothing.

The only thing that's on it is photos, but it's 300 GB of photos that she didn't have backed up anywhere. I don't know how expensive this type of recovery is, but I thought someone here might have gone through something like this already.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Data recovery service?

Mate I don't know where to get it done but it is damn expensive. Like oh my god they can't be serious expensive.
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/

Yes expensive.

|

Comment

I heard rumors about dropping or freezing them, but again rumors check into them b4 u try anything. I also hear it is expensive.
        Lights Out!

Comment

Western Digital has a list of companies: http://support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp?wdc_lang=en
          Seagate offers services as well.

Seagate says their pricing starts at $600.
          Viking

Comment

Originally posted by solarity View Post
            I heard rumors about dropping or freezing them, but again rumors check into them b4 u try anything. I also hear it is expensive.
            NEVER EVER drop a traditional hard drive (head crash and/or other internals breaking). As for freezing, some here will attest that it works, but I'd caution that this is quite easily the fastest way to destroy the data on the drive. Water/moisture condenses on the platters themselves (when they are warming up) and potentially could cause a head crash, thus permanently destroying any data on your hard drive. Any anecdotal evidence to the contrary is either fiction or flukes in my opinion.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If the drive can't be read by normal means, the first thing a data recovery service will do is pull apart the drive. They'll replace the read head with a functional one if that's the issue, or mount the drive platters in a working drive and try to access the data that way. None of which is simple (and may involve working in a clean box to avoid dust getting into the drive internals). So yes, expensive. But look at it this way: A cloud backup solution would run you around $100 a year. a x6 cost multiplier to recover from a critical failure isn't too crazy. Just... wince-inducing.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
              --BlackMirror
              <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
              Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
              --Blackraven93

Comment

My seagate failed a few years ago, but it was due to buggy firmware and they fixed it for me for free and paid for the shipping, also worth checking if the drive is still under warranty.

Even if the warranty has expired by a few months they still my help you out with something.

I did research into how costly it would be to pay for it and it is expensive everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by DaViking View Post
                  Seagate says their pricing starts at $600.
                  Hmmm... That's about twice as much as we were hoping for. Gonna have to decide if it's worth it or not.
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

http://lifehacker.com/5982339/diy-da...p?popular=true

Thought this was an interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumQrack View Post
                      http://lifehacker.com/5982339/diy-da...p?popular=true

Thought this was an interesting read.
                      Yeah, perfect timing for us! Looks like we're screwed. I might try to bust open the HDD case and take a look-see. Can't hurt.
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X