Overclocking an i5 3750k

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking an i5 3750k

I just got my Cooler Master 120 liquid in the mail on Friday and installed the next day. My mother board is a ga-z77x-d3h. I seem to be having some wierd bug that is making it hard to get my multiplier settings to take effect. I had my system at 4.4ghz @ 1.23v vcore. I ran prime for a couple hours, no errors and played NS2 with some boosted fps. I the. Increased vcore to 1.25 and tried a multiplier of 45 and then 46. Neither time could I get CPU Core to display 4.5 or 4.6. I ran prime as it was getting late next morning max temp was low 70c and average was in the mid 60s. The vcore boost increased the temp by a few c's. The app still showed 4.4ghz no error in logs.

I think the previous time i tried to OC this crappy easy tune was thorttleing the cpu at 50c. I have been only OC'ing via bios, though looks like easy tune was causing throttleing issues. I removed the app, but still am having issues again at pushing past 4.4ghz.

BTW at 4.4ghz my cpu is running cooler than my stock fan was at 3.6 turbo.
    Thanks in advance,

Solarity
    Lights Out!

Re: Overclocking an i5 3750k

Post up your bios settings, see the link below for images of it and just copy it into a paint program and highlight what you changed.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,5.html

You can try leaving the Volts on auto and see if that helps, if it does you may need increase the volts.
    Last edited by MrMojay; 02-05-2013, 03:11 PM.

Comment

As few reasons it couldn't be going past 44.
      1. Reset bios and try again
      2. Do a bios update, gigabyte has an application for that
      3. You don't have a K model.

TBH 4.4ghz is pretty bad ass. Unless your running dual gtx 690s, you aren't going to notice the difference between 4.4 and 5 ghz.

Try and get the lowest volts possible on 4.4. Do not touch the base clock. More trouble than its worth.
      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
      Former ARMA Admin
      Former ARMA TGU instructor
      Former TGU Headmaster
      Current Noob
      Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

I have never understood overclocking. Is there a good reason for doing it other than seeing how fast you can drive your cpu without blowing it up? My 3570 does what I expect it to do especially in gaming with Arma. Is overclocking really just a hobby kind of thing like computer modding and such?

Comment

Chief it is almost impossible to blow up your CPU, unless you go into the bios with the direct intention of doing that. Over clocking has many advantages including freeing up any Bootle necks your CPU is causing to your system.
          You don't have the K version which makes OC a tiny bit more complicated bit still achievable. There are tons of good guides out there on 3570 Over clocking. Remember, If anything happens and your computer BSODS or won't start after playing with the BIOS just hit the BIOS reset and your back at square one, no harm done.

As I said, very very difficult to destroy your CPU unless you go up up the voltage to 4volts and remove the CPU cooler.
          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
          Former ARMA Admin
          Former ARMA TGU instructor
          Former TGU Headmaster
          Current Noob
          Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
            I have never understood overclocking. Is there a good reason for doing it other than seeing how fast you can drive your cpu without blowing it up? My 3570 does what I expect it to do especially in gaming with Arma. Is overclocking really just a hobby kind of thing like computer modding and such?
            In some cases people want to eek out more performance from their gear, in other cases it's just people wanting to see how fast they can clock their stuff.

You're not likely to blow up anything unless you REALLY try, but you will likely reduce the life expectancy and reduce the MTBF of your system overall. Think of it like tuning an engine in a car; sure, you can get an extra 100HP out of it, but you're putting more stress on the rest of the vehicle and will likely cause other parts of the vehicle to fail prematurely.

Like me and my new coils and plugs I have to replace every few months. :)
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

My poor choice of wording on blowing up your cpu. I understand the extra heat, need for more cooling and such but unless you just like to tweak I just don't see the need to do it. A sense of accomplisment and bragging rights? I built my computer but haven't had the urge to go down that road....Yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                My poor choice of wording on blowing up your cpu. I understand the extra heat, need for more cooling and such but unless you just like to tweak I just don't see the need to do it. A sense of accomplisment and bragging rights? I built my computer but haven't had the urge to go down that road....Yet.
                You may never get into it at all. Go back a decade and I was HEAVILY invested in overclocking, watercooling, and pushing my gear to the absolute limit. I gave all that up and now just buy gear that will do what I want it to do without touching anything. There really isn't a NEED to do it, but it's certainly fun if you have the time and inclination.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I did see a noticeable increase in my FPS in NS2 @ 4.4ghz, I only need a 120hz LCD now..hrmm...

So I think I figured out the issue. It looks like a reboot isn't good enough and the system needs a fully shut down to have the changes committed. Also I do have a K model as stated, or I couldn't reach 4.4 w/ only multiplier and vcore. Thanks for all the help, I am very impressed by the suggestions that I got in such short time.

When I got home I brought it up to 4.5ghz @ 1.25v and it ran prime for a few minutes stable. Then I tried 4.6ghz and I went as far as 1.3v before I started feeling uncomfortable. I wasn't having any issues with heat, just stability. I just heard about going over 1.3v can issues with the chip, even though I saw documentation that says otherwise. I will have to look into this a bit more before I attempt anything past 1.3v. Currently I am running back at 4.5ghz @ 1.25v no stability issues or error messages so far after 10 minutes of running prime. My 4.6ghz stability showed up within a few minutes. My max temp is 64*c.

I think I am going to let it run for a few hours then do an bed time to get out of work stress test to see if anything goes wrong.

Again thanks for all the quick input.
                  Lights Out!

Comment

4.4 GHz should be easy on a Intel K Ivy Bridge without upping vcore. Past that, I'd probably up vcore a little at a time and test thoroughly.

I'd post over at OCN (Overclock.net) and see if any of the guys there can help you OC to 4.5/4.6 on air. Watch your temps on load. IB tends to get hot fast once you start piling on more voltage.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      4.4 GHz should be easy on a Intel K Ivy Bridge without upping vcore. Past that, I'd probably up vcore a little at a time and test thoroughly.

I'd post over at OCN (Overclock.net) and see if any of the guys there can help you OC to 4.5/4.6 on air. Watch your temps on load. IB tends to get hot fast once you start piling on more voltage.
                      I am not using air, I am using a closed loop water cooled system: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103179

I ended up running into a couple WHEA errors w/ 4.5ghz, I upped the vcore to see if that will help to 1.280v. Right now my cores are averaging mid 60's C with prime95. I am going to let it run over night to see if I get any issues. I will keep it running at work.

-Solarity
                      Lights Out!

Comment

I got home after about 18 hours of stress tests, no WHEA errors at 4.5Ghz w/ 1.280v. Max temp was 78*c and average on 2 cores was mid 60s and the other two were 60*c.

I tried a couple a two hour stress test 4.6ghz @ 1.320v and it got 1 WHEA error.

I think I can get a stable 4.6ghz at 1.33 or 1.34v. I did try 4.8ghz @ 1.400v and I got a BSOD after I got into windows. I think 5Ghz is out of bounds for this specific chip, the heat doesn't seem to be much of a problem so I think the cooler is doing a good job. Though I think I might have to RMA the fan as it seems a little off balance and hitting something.
                        Lights Out!

Comment

You can still use auto for the voltage, do not touch the 4's, stay in the 3's for a stable oc if thats the way you want to go.

Comment

I think I have a stable 4.6Ghz, though I am going back to stock speeds as the fan on the radiator seems to be going. I might keep it at 4.5Ghz as that gives me a lot more wiggle room as far as heat and voltage go. I know I can alter other stuff, though I am going to have to take a break from OC'ing as I have to RMA my radiator fan. Thanks for the suggestion about OC community, I joined it and it is great!

BTW here is my setup: http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/4942721
                            Lights Out!

Comment

78 C...eesh. Hopefully that's only the highest recorded for a single core (rather than a 4-core average). Though from what I've been reading around various OC sites, under 90 C seems to be recommended for Ivy Bridge overclocks. Personally, if I'm going for a 24/7/365 overclock, I'd look for a stable overclock that gets me under 80 C per core on full load.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X