Help me please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me please!

I am having some serious problems, and I am afraid it is my processor. I just got done reformatting and reinstalling Windows XP and my computer will randomly restart every once in a while unless I cock my processor below its average. I don't clock it up, it is an Athlon XP 2400+, and the only problem I have ever had with it is that it runs at roughly 113 F when idle, and 120 or so when I am playing a game. I have a Thermaltake Volcano 6 with a fan going 7300rpms and a nice big copper cored heatsink. I scan my pc daily for spyware, viruses, and all that. I don't understand why it is doing this, and I really don't want to fry my processor seeing as I can't get a new one until christmas probably. My PC is

ECS K7S5A Motherboard (POS, buying a new one ASAP, Im 15)
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    768mb PC-2700/PC-3200
    Chaintech nVidia GeForce 6200A 256mb
    HD - 20 gb Western Digital
    HD - 40 gb Maxtor slimdrive
    HD - 80gb FANTOM drive (external)
    Thats basically it. Help me please, I need any advice someone can offer up to me.

|CS:S Dev Team|

root: I do it to
    steve: OMG
    steve: TOO
    root: ****ing hell
    root: Spelling nazi down! MEDIC!

Go ahead, you know you all envy me, I corrected root's grammar :D

Re: Help me please!

your processor temps are not great, but nevertheless are not high enough to worry about. i've never seen random reboots due to a bad processor...they're a sensitive piece, if your processor is 'bad,' your computer just isn't going to boot. it you're typing right now, chances are, it's fine.

what kind of power supply do you have? that would be the first thing i'd look at.
    [TG]epheneh

Comment

Mine randomly restarted once.
      What's your power supply.. what brand? I used a generic one and ended up melting (yes.. MELTING) my processor, and mobo parts, and ruining 1 memory stick, and some other parts were bad. Word of advice, buy the $50-70+ power supplies, not the cheap $20 ones... they really can ruin your PC.

Comment

I get a reboot when my computer is reading a CD for some reason. I'm not sure why but Steve i've had that exact same motherboard and i currently have the K7VTA3. I know ECS boards from that period can have weird problems, so an upgrade will probably be good. Power supply as well could be an issue as well. I'd change it first.

- -

Comment

Well, I have an Antec 300 watt (im pretty sure at least, that or a 350). It came with my PC when I bought it (bought it from a friend of a friend). I've never had any problems with it up until now, but it does make sense, so I'll probably check it out. I'm going to get a good Gigabyte or Asus mobo. I'm leaning more toward Gigabyte due to the fact that my friend has such a good one. I'm not sure what model number but it has RAID, and I'd like to put my drives in RAID array 0, 0 or 1. I should be getting my new mobo soon, as soon as I get 60$ from my friend for my Xbox. I'm going to get something that suffices without breaking my wallet (Im 15 again, no money). My mobo sucks though, 4x AGP, 2 SDRAM slots, and 2 DDR. It is ridiculus really. Once I get the new one though, my card will be running at 8x, and I will have 1gb or RAM. I have my processor clocked down still like I said, running at 1.5 ghz rather than 2.01 like it is supposed to be. Thanks for th help guys.

|CS:S Dev Team|

root: I do it to
          steve: OMG
          steve: TOO
          root: ****ing hell
          root: Spelling nazi down! MEDIC!

Go ahead, you know you all envy me, I corrected root's grammar :D

Comment

Do you know if Windows is set to automatically restart when it crashes? Check by going to System Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery settings. It should be unchecked. If it's checked, uncheck and wait for the next random reboot. You should get an error screen that'll help narrow the cause of the problem.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Antec's 300/350W don't put out enough juice for the higher end gaming rigs out there. They are, however, a quality brand, and if the PSU does die, there's a good chance (80%+) that it won't ruin anything else in the PC because of how it's designed. 90% of random restarts are caused by lack of PSU power. the other 10% are usually bad RAM. In this case, I'd say it's the PSU, and that you should buy an Antec 480W for about $70 (just pay attention to if you need ATX2 or ATX plugs, they make two differend models.)
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

The K7S5A had lots of problems, look at your revision on your bios chip, it should have a sticker that will say 105 or 115 or any number in between. The early versions had problems and would reboot randomly and even lose bios setting every few days...Grab the latest bios for that board there is also a board revison sticker, should be on the bottom left just to the left of the PCI slots, it should say 1.o 1.1 or 3.1

www.ecsusa.com

or

www.ecs.com.tw
                [TG]Slim

A member of the old school Scene,
                ACiD, iCE, CiA, UNiON, DOD, PWA, RiSC, Razor1911,gH, l0ft....When Elite wasn't a 13 year old script kiddie

Athlon64 4200 Dual Core
                Gigabyte K8N Ultra
                74Gb WD Raptor
                Leadtek 7800GTX
                2GB OCZ EL Matched DDR 533
                Zalman 7700Cu

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement