Coil whine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil whine

Just today I heard a strage sound from my computer and found out that I hear coil whine. I bought new components just 2 weeks ago but the PSU is the same (TX650W corsair), is there any way to fix coil whine for the PSU. I get it only when I play games, if I alt+tab out it stops. It's really annoying and I'm worried it could hurt my other components. I tried to do some research myself on the matter but some say it hurts the GPU some say it doesn't.

I added a second monitor today to my setup and after a hour or so I noticed the sound. Now after removing the second monitor the problem is the same. Anyone have any similar experience or if someone knows what my options are? Thanks!
    ˝Memento audere semper˝

Re: Coil whine

I can't also rule out that the whine is coming from the GPU. It's just too hard to tell because it's so loud.
    ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

Still got the receipt for it?
      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
      Former ARMA Admin
      Former ARMA TGU instructor
      Former TGU Headmaster
      Current Noob
      Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

My old graphics card used to squeal something fierce, it was a horrible noise but it never caused any other problems. Some games would make it whine, some wouldn't, and when it did it might go away after a few seconds or it might be there the whole time. If it's really annoying (loud, constant, shrill etc.) then perhaps see if you can get it replaced, otherwise most games have enough background noise to drown it out (or just use headphones).

You have my sympathies though, it really sucks and most of the time there's nothing you can do short of replacing the part or just dealing with it.
        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Usually it's either the video card or your PSU. Do you have another video card you could swap in and game with? Would be able to quickly help you figure out which part the whine is coming from.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My video card is new so I guess I can try and RMA it, the same doesn't go for the PSU as it's old. I will try to put in my old 4870 to see if it's the PSU or the video card. I'll do this later on today and get back here with the result.

It's not that annoying because a little sound of whatever coming from my speakers solves the problem but if it's really the GPU I just can't stand buying something new and getting some undesired side effects.
            ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

Try the 4870 first before you go and RMA the graphics card. I'm betting it's probably the PSU. Since it's a Corsair TX model, there should be a 5 year warranty. If it's still under warranty, you can RMA it for a newer unit probably. I'd talk to Corsair's tech support first so they know ahead of time it's a coil whine problem.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The PSU probably isn't in warranty anymore, does that mean I need to change the PSU or can I live with this one until it completely runs out of gas? (if it's really the psu)
                ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

So i switched to my 4870 and the sound was gone. Now that i've found my culprit, what am I to do with it? Some say coil whine works for RMA some say it doesn't. I purchased the card from pixmania which has a 14 day money back guarantee (i'm just a few days beyond that) and the card itself has a 2 year warranty.
                  ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

Well it it bothers you, I would RMA it.
                    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                    Former ARMA Admin
                    Former ARMA TGU instructor
                    Former TGU Headmaster
                    Current Noob
                    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix. View Post
                      The PSU probably isn't in warranty anymore, does that mean I need to change the PSU or can I live with this one until it completely runs out of gas? (if it's really the psu)
                      If it was the PSU, coil whines don't have any detrimental effect, so you wouldn't need to RMA it.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It's the videocard obviously, I sent a email saying I want to send it back and replace it with a newer one. Hoping they take coil whine as a legit reason for that. Just curious here, does coil whine reduce the products lifetime or performance? Thanks for everything guys!

edit: they said I can only get a warranty repair, should I go for it? I mean the coil whine isn't that hard to overlook and I'm afraid what they might do, don't really know if they can actually repair it
                        Last edited by Phoenix.; 02-21-2013, 11:59 AM.
                        ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

I'd go for the repair. Usually whines from video cards come from the fan. You can either repair the card using your warranty with them or replace the stock cooler with a aftermarket one.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I mean, often the fan either is hitting against the inside wall of the fan shroud or there could be a wire or something hitting it...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

How can it be the fan? Coil whine doesn't come from that right? The fans spin without a problem and the only time I have the annoying sound is when I switch to games, meaning that if I alt-tab to something else it goes away. That's why I'm worried that sending it back for repair isn't going to do any good.
                              ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X