New laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New laptop

All right gents, I could use some advice on my new laptop. The main purpose is going to be for business use, since I run my own business it does get to function for personal use as well. The last few laptops have been 17" entertainment/desktop replacements. I have been looking at a number of different models from Lenovo, HP, Asus and Acer. I do some road work and use it as my main pc in the office as well.

I know I'm light on specs and details, am hoping for some suggestions and leads to follow up on.
    sigpic

Re: New laptop

A few questions.

Are you going to use this for gaming at all. How much are you looking at spending.

Dell just released this pretty amazing dock that wirelessly docks the screen, USB,lan port everything.....yes wirelessly. You need to purchase a laptop such as the Dell 6430u ultra book for it and it ain't cheap.
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/25/d...-for-latitude/
    http://www.dell.com/au/business/p/la...u-ultrabook/pd
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Well that Dell does look nice I don't think I am willing to fork out that much money, especially for that size. I think my max budget for the laptop is going to be around $1500, give or take. I am hoping to be adding a new printer for the office and slipping in a new GPU in the order as well for the gaming rig, for a wopping grand total MAX budget of $2300. Ideally I would like to not reach that max but it is there if I need it.

So the laptop would not necessarily be needed for gaming. I don't like the heat factor that comes along with that, I am pretty sure that is what has killed my current laptop. I am intermittently getting shutdowns due to overheating. Without have the cooler running the average temp with 2 programs running is about 85-100 degrees.

Here are the specs for the current laptop:
      Intel i7 Q720 @ 1.60GHz
      6GB Ram
      Mobility Radeon HD 5650
      500GB hard drive

Ideally something that would beat these specs is what I would like. I am quite willing to drop the dedicated GPU for an integrated GPU.

Here are a couple of the laptops that I have looked at:

Lenovo 17.3" G780
      Asus 17.3" G75 (one of many variations of the G75)
      HP ENVY dv7-7270
      Samsung Series5 550P
      Asus F75VD-EB51

I hope that gives you an idea of what I am looking at. As for the new GPU this came across my desk this morning and got me thinking Galaxy GTX 660 Ti.

I will probably add more details and feed back later, but I need to get ready for my next client. Stupid working getting in the way of fun :p !
      sigpic

Comment

I think dropping to an integrated GPU would cut your heat WAY down. We use Lenovos at work, and while they're ugly as hell they're also tough as nails. Granted we're using their Thinkpad busniess series.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

The Lenovo on the top and the ASUS on the bottom look good (admittedly, I couldn't see the Staples links). Spec-wise, you are doing pretty good with the Intel I5 and decent RAM. IMO, Samsung, ASUS, and Lenovo are decent brands. I probably wouldn't buy an HP for myself.

NVidia has some mobile graphics chips that turn on and off depending on what you are doing. I would expect that to conserve battery life and reduce heat. It is something to look into.
          Viking

Comment

Originally posted by DaViking View Post
            NVidia has some mobile graphics chips that turn on and off depending on what you are doing. I would expect that to conserve battery life and reduce heat. It is something to look into.
            I hadn't heard about this, will have to look into it some.

Edit: I have spent a few minutes reading about this and it seems that AMD and nVidia both have this tech built into their drivers/control panel. Unfortunately it seems dependent on the laptop manufacturer to actually make use of and allow this functionality.
            Last edited by hil3illy; 03-06-2013, 01:28 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Most laptop manufacturers implement the graphics switching and have done so for a quite a few years. On the nVidia side, it's called Optimus. On the AMD side, it's current form is called Enduro. You'll ideally want to look for laptops that feature one of these two brandings: "Optimus" or "Enduro". Depending on where you buy the laptop (example at a brick-and-mortar), they might not be familiar with AMD's branding of "Enduro" and might just still be using "AMD Dynamic Switchable Graphics" instead.

The three Staples ones linked are broken. Between the Lenovo and the ASUS, I'd go for the ASUS one. The GT610 is quite a bit better than the HD4000 graphics when it comes to light-to-medium gaming, HD videos, and streaming Netflix content (in HD as well). HD4000 is basically worthless in terms of gaming performance and is known to throw a few FPS hiccups when it comes to streaming HD content (local playback is okay).

The 2nd one, the ASUS G75, is a desktop replacement gaming machine. Heavy, sturdy, and costly. It's not something you'll want to be toting around or using on the go, it weighs well over 9 pounds (12 pounds on some other configurations). Battery life is pretty abysmal (typically 2 hours or less). But then again, you'll be able to play quite a few modern games on high-to-max settings without breaking a sweat.

The 4rd one, Samsung Series 5 550P, as far as I can tell was only released in the UK and wasn't made available in North America. I'm assuming you can get your hands on one in Canada (hence your posted Staples link). It's basically the same as the ASUS G75 above, desktop replacement laptop. Heavy, sturdy, costly, poor battery life. In this case, it seems it comes with a midrange GTX650M instead of something higher end. Shouldn't pose any issues for gaming, but it's not something I'd think of lugging around for business trips.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If you are looking for something to game with and has some grunt, check the y customisable and UPGRADEABLE clevo PC from xotic PC.

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming...95_51_162.html
                sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                Former ARMA Admin
                Former ARMA TGU instructor
                Former TGU Headmaster
                Current Noob
                Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

That site is pretty cool Bol, I might end up customizing one off there.

This is getting to be more difficult than I thought. I was hoping to have picked one already! Acreo you make a good point about what the guys in the stores know or don't for that matter. I think the links are broken cause they are to the Canadian website, they work for me. Either way, I am hoping to get the order out by the end of the week!
                  sigpic

Comment

Here are a few other places I usually recommend to people who want some customizability to their future laptops:

http://www.avadirect.com/Gaming-Notebooks
                    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/X...aming_Notebook (the one here is pretty darn good for the price)
                    http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Batta..._Gaming_Laptop (similar to above)
                    http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.p...selected_cat=2 (basically customized Clevo notebooks)
                    http://www.digitalstormonline.com/compnotebooks.asp (based in California, a few here at TG have rigs built by them)
                    http://www.maingear.com/custom/compu...lt-laptops.php
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X