[INFO] Intel Haswell socket first look

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Intel Haswell socket first look

Today, toms hardware has been able to get there hands on the next Intel chip , albeit, a pre release version. Things are looking very good for this new socket. I am glad I have held out from the original i7 1366 socket

The new 4770K comes clocked in at 3.5Ghz up to 3.9Ghz with turbo boost. A new GPU is in the die as well as some new technologies from Intel. Overall, performance increases of around 13% overall from ivy bridge can be expected. This may not sound like much, but it is comparable to the sandy>ivy bridge upgrade.

Word on the street is the TIM, the metal plate that actually covers the CPU socket, will be soldered on this time instead of having crap thermal paste on the ivy bridge series. This should allow for higher overclocks and cooler temps all around.

This new socket is not compatible with Ivy bridge or sandy bridge 1155 sockets and will require a motherboard upgrade.

If you are running ivy bridge or sandy CPU, I would not recommend upgrading.

For those of you being out or considering buying now, I say wait for these haswell chips to come to market.

http://m.tomshardware.com/reviews/co...ance,3461.html
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Re: [INFO] Intel Haswell socket first look

Bola... Can you give me your take on my current processor. I bought an i7-960 Bloomfield @ 3.2GHz, LGA 1366, 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor almost three years ago. My rule of thumb has been to do almost a whole scale upgrade about every three years or so but I'm pretty satisfied with what I have at the moment. In your estimation would an upgrade now to one of the newer chips pay enough to make it worth the investment. I'm pretty happy with my performance with the ARMA series and that's pretty much my only game played at the moment.

I'm thinking maybe leave the chip as is and upgrade the card from my current GTX 470 to one of the higher end Nvidia cards.

Thanks for your input.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
      Bola... Can you give me your take on my current processor. I bought an i7-960 Bloomfield @ 3.2GHz, LGA 1366, 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor almost three years ago. My rule of thumb has been to do almost a whole scale upgrade about every three years or so but I'm pretty satisfied with what I have at the moment. In your estimation would an upgrade now to one of the newer chips pay enough to make it worth the investment. I'm pretty happy with my performance with the ARMA series and that's pretty much my only game played at the moment.

I'm thinking maybe leave the chip as is and upgrade the card from my current GTX 470 to one of the higher end Nvidia cards.

Thanks for your input.
      That is a great chip. I have the 950. If the budget doesn't allow upgrading both CPU/motherboard and GPU I would go with a GPU upgrdade if your primary use of the PC is gaming. The original i7 chips have enough grunt in them to more than enough run every game today. Where you start getting problems is in bandwidth problems and bottlenecking of your CPU. I run 2 x GTX680s and on certain games my 950 will bottleneck the cards, I still get 60FPS in every game except Arma however.

If you aren't going to upgrade now with Haswell, wait till next year for the BROADWELL release. Now that thing is going to be insane. Manufactured on a 14nm die process. From other threads, we have already seen that this CPU will most likely be non user replaceable and soldered directly onto the motherboard.
      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
      Former ARMA Admin
      Former TGU Headmaster
      Current Noob

Comment

Thanks for the input Bola. GPU upgrade then, in the next month or so. I'm thinking an EVGA 680...
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Good card. I have EVGA ones. Excellent warranty program.
          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
          Former ARMA Admin
          Former TGU Headmaster
          Current Noob

Comment

Intel ever plan on doing a new hexcore? It would be nice, especially with ARMA 3 out. Then again...I'll probably be going back to AMD once the Steamroller releases.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X