• Yes another graphics card recomendation thread PLEASE

Rig:
    Intel Core i7 Extreme 975(3.33GHz)
    L2 Cache Per CPU
    4 x 256KB
    L3 Cache Per CPU
    8MB
    CPU Socket Type LGA 1366
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 Graphics, with 2GB Discrete Video Memory-on a PCI Express 2.0 x16
    1000W Delta with lots of unused connectors (4 6-pin, 1 four pin, on 2 pin)
    Intel X58 smaller MB from Gateway and its crappy bios as well :(
    12GB DDR3
    Form Factor
    DIMM 240-pin
    Memory Spec
    2GB x 6
    Vista 64 moving to W7-64 after the HW is completed.

So given the heritage above and I want to play BF3/4 and would like tangible improvement without overkill I was looking at the GTX660 2G but I don't want to spend over $200 or at least much over that. I am looking for suggestions on my box improvement with respect to the video card which I believe is my gaming limitation? I don't know what my current frame rates are but will try to measure and post.
    Last edited by TG_Blood; 04-01-2013, 02:14 AM.

Re: Yes another graphics card recomendation thread PLEASE

Ok so please take note that my MB is PCI Express 2.0x16. I assume this will limit my choices?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...irtualParent=1

The above looks good but its PCI EXPRS 3.0 and I assume not backwards compatible?

Is my MB the part that I should replace?

Comment

Nope,all current PCI-E 3.0 cards are backwards compatible with 2.0.

If you can swing it, spend the extra 80 bucks and get the 660ti

Other options include the HD 7870 for around the same cost as the 660.

What is your current screen resolution?
      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
      Former ARMA Admin
      Former ARMA TGU instructor
      Former TGU Headmaster
      Current Noob
      Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Hey Bolanaise long time. My monitor is new and runs 1080 its a 23 in Asus so no limitations there. The fact that I have a PCI 2.0 is making me question the MB limitations with respect to the graphics card. How do I balance the performance trade off using this config? Will putting in a higher end card pay off even though they are backwards compatible?

Comment

Yeah no problems. They have done tests and with the current gen cards there's a less than 1% difference between them.
          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
          Former ARMA Admin
          Former TGU Headmaster
          Current Noob

Comment

So if I understand what your saying is that there is only a 1% or there about's improvement from PCI3 over PCI2. That surprises me and tells me then that a better mother board really is not going to do much for me and be better with new video board.

Comment

Yeah mate. If your chasing FPS get a GPU. I7 975 is a good CPU.
              sigpic

Former Pathfinder
              Former ARMA Admin
              Former TGU Headmaster
              Current Noob

Comment

It's a bit more than 1% difference. It comes down to the resolution you play at and what settings you use. You'll notice the biggest difference between PCIE 2.0 and PCIE 3.0 cards when you're playing with multiple monitors at high to extreme settings. At 1080p, there's not too much unless you turn on all the eye candy. In the end, the average works out to about 1% difference if you're playing at 1080p (or even 1920x1200).

At $200, you have quite a few choices. Here are my picks:

1. $189.99 after $10 MIR: 2 GB Zotac GTX660

No free games. Best bang for your buck performance as of this writing for $200.

2. $184.99 after $10 MIR: 2 GB Sapphire HD7850

2 free games: Bioshock 1 and Tomb Raider. Both together are valued at $70 ($20 + $50). That's a $115 card that gets ~95% of the performance of the GTX660 above. Might be an even match to the stock GTX660 too given this particular card is overclocked. Personally, I love Sapphire cards. They put on great aftermarket coolers that keep them cool and are a favorite amongst overclockers.

3. $169.99: 2 GB Gigabyte HD7790

Beats out the GTX650 Ti Boost in most games except a few (most notably Battlefield 3). Comes with 1 free game: Bioshock 1. That's a $20 value, so you're getting a $149.99 card.

4. $169.99: 2 GB Gigabyte GTX650 Ti Boost

Loses to the HD7790 (above) in many games, except a few (most notably Battlefield 3). This card comes with "$75 worth of game coupons", whatever that means. No mention of what games are being offered (which could be a bad sign). Factor in the unknown $75, you're getting a $95 card. That's cheap unless the game coupons are for worthless games you have no intention of ever playing.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks Acorn that's what I was also looking for. I assume I will have a better experience in BF3 moving from the HD4870XD to that of one of the above cards is this true? Am I even going to notice a difference and if so what? Frame rate? If yes to FR what does this give me?

Comment

OK this looks good today tomorrow it probably wont but I just snagged a new MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 (factory over clocked) for $150 shipped no taxes or shipping from a company called vonoip. Seems like a great deal for a new card like this.

Comment

Wow...that is a pretty good deal. Did you get any free games with it?

Just for reference:

HD5850 vs. HD7850: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/512?vs=549
                      - The HD5850 is probably the closest card in that list to your HD4870X2, even though it probably gets better fps than your X2. Going off of that comparison, you're looking at ~25% increase in fps to as much as ~55% increase in fps. For the most part, 25%-30% increase.

GTX660 vs. HD7850: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/660?vs=549
                      - You're going to be pretty happy with the GTX660 at the price point you paid. At $150 alone, you'd be really going against the 7790 which it trounces. Given it's direct competition is the HD7850, you're pretty much going to get better fps in most games by a slight margin.

If you were willing to spend more initially, I'd recommend going for the HD7870 or HD7950.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Per Acreo's advice I bought the Double D HD7950.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                          Per Acreo's advice I bought the Double D HD7950.
                          And got Bioshock Infinite + Tomb Raider too with it. :)
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            And got Bioshock Infinite + Tomb Raider too with it. :)
                            I have been searching for that info for the games!!! And I got Crysis 3 with Bioshock Infinite...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Oh well, either way, it's good. :)
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X