Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Securing Windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Securing Windows

    Most of you know I am studying Computer and Network Security. I figured I would layout some links to help everyone secure their pc’s especially with the amount of viruses that are going around now.


    These are just baseline standards to get security started on your machine.

    Windows NT 4.0 Workstation

    Windows NT 4.0 Server

    Windows 2000 Server

    Windows XP

    For additional security you can use a firewall (I do not give recommendations).

    ZoneAlarm® Pro
    Tiny Firewall 5.0
    Norton
    McAfee's
    Black ICE


    also if you use Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, or Windows XP you can run Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer to see how secure your machine is.
    WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.


  • #2
    I thought the best way of securing your computer was to uninstall any type of Windows operating system :D :D :D

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Wolfie
      I thought the best way of securing your computer was to uninstall any type of Windows operating system :D :D :D
      Well not all are able to understand linux or Mac so they worship Winblows
      WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have complaints across the board. I will admit to being very "at home" while using a command line, but I don't believe that's true for the majority of users.

        At some point I'm going to have to load a minimal linux installation and then tack on its modules one by one. I have a rather large disagreement with the default directory structure, and I find it impossible to learn from standard installations of Redhat and its ilk. By the time I'm done, I'd probably end up with my own flavor of linux. For now, however, I'd rather play games. :)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lirix
          I have a rather large disagreement with the default directory structure, and I find it impossible to learn from standard installations of Redhat and its ilk
          Ever tried your hand with FreeBSD? Every packaged linux will feel cobbled-together after you've become comfortable in a BSDish environment. Directory layouts that make sense, stable, easy to upgrade the base system binaries and compile a custom kernel, great ports system for installing third-party software...
          "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

          Comment


          • #6
            Since I have WinXP I went ahead and ran this security check program

            However it says some things were not right that didn't make sense

            For example, it says that I don't have all the security updates installed, yet when I go to the site, it says I have all critical updates installed....

            It gives me this message

            MS02-055

            Unchecked Buffer in Windows Help Facility Could Enable Code Execution (Q323255)

            File D:\WINDOWS\system32\hhctrl.ocx has a file version [5.2.3735.0] that is greater than what is expected [5.2.3669.0].
            MS03-021

            Flaw In Windows Media Player May Allow Media Library Access (819639)

            File D:\WINDOWS\system32\wmp.dll has a file version [9.0.0.3075] that is greater than what is expected [9.0.0.3008].
            okay, I am not a computer expert but isn't a file version of 5.2.3735.0 a newer version than 5.2.3669.0 and should be okay? Seems like a couple of false failures to me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Wolfie
              MS02-055

              Unchecked Buffer in Windows Help Facility Could Enable Code Execution (Q323255)

              File D:\WINDOWS\system32\hhctrl.ocx has a file version [5.2.3735.0] that is greater than what is expected [5.2.3669.0].
              okay, I am not a computer expert but isn't a file version of 5.2.3735.0 a newer version than 5.2.3669.0 and should be okay? Seems like a couple of false failures to me.
              It's a fail-safe warning. The program doesn't know about the newer versions, so it warns the user that the existing version doesn't match the program's database. Can be safely ignored, especially if you keep up-to-date and the warning is about a vuln. patched back in 2002 :)
              "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

              Comment


              • #8
                correct verbose.

                I forgot about the stupid false warnings it gives. But, for the most part it will tell you some good stuff
                WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just as a FYI, I wasn't trashing it or the information you provided, I just wanted to inform others that it may give you false warnings ;)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Oh I know. Trashing eachother is for other threads ;)
                    WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      the only way to secure windows is to unplug the pc from the power source ;)
                      From Adam Webb

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Verbose, I don't believe I've ever tried FreeBSD, although I am aware of it. I'll definitely be giving it a go the next time I have a few hours to kill. :)

                        Despite all of its numerous flaws, I miss DOS. :?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lirix
                          Verbose, I don't believe I've ever tried FreeBSD, although I am aware of it. I'll definitely be giving it a go the next time I have a few hours to kill.
                          Don't expect a flashy, hand-holding install or configuration. FreeBSD is all business, which you'll come to love. No fluff, "just the facts, ma'am" style computing. The handbook on freebsd.org is a handy reference. Initial learning curve can be steep, but it's well worth it. I've come to loathe all the Linux boxen that I maintain at work, because working with FreeBSD is so much more pleasant. Actually...I think I've managed to replace all the Linux installs with FreeBSD save for...one. One left, then I'm free! :P
                          "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I actually think this would work good as a *cough* sticky *cough*
                            WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lirix
                              At some point I'm going to have to load a minimal linux installation and then tack on its modules one by one. I have a rather large disagreement with the default directory structure, and I find it impossible to learn from standard installations of Redhat and its ilk. By the time I'm done, I'd probably end up with my own flavor of linux. For now, however, I'd rather play games. :)
                              It's called Gentoo.

                              But keep Windows for Steam.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X