replacing MOBO, OS question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing MOBO, OS question

Will be replacing a damaged MOBO with an identical MOBO.

Does this rewuire re-installing OS or should I just be able to plug things in and let it go?

Any other nasty surprises I should be looking forward to?

Re: replacing MOBO, OS question

XP has a fun issue where if you change the mobo it won't boot into Windows anymore. Part of their anti piracy stuff. However, I have been able to get around that by installing a mobo from the same mnfg. I would assume then that you would have absolutely no problems. If you do, the only way I've been able to get around the xp lock was a soft reformat (reinstall windows over the old copy of windows without a format) and then getting relevant info off my HDD and doing a true format reinstall. But, I don't think you should have that problem if it's the same mobo. If you're using an older version of windows I daresay you won't have any major problems at all.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Windows XP SP2

Comment

if its the same board you will be fine, actually I have found in the hundreds we do at the office that as long as the IDE/SATA controller is the same it should boot to windows like normal
        [TG]Slim

A member of the old school Scene,
        ACiD, iCE, CiA, UNiON, DOD, PWA, RiSC, Razor1911,gH, l0ft....When Elite wasn't a 13 year old script kiddie

Athlon64 4200 Dual Core
        Gigabyte K8N Ultra
        74Gb WD Raptor
        Leadtek 7800GTX
        2GB OCZ EL Matched DDR 533
        Zalman 7700Cu

Comment

thank you slim!

Comment

i went from an epox nforce2 to an epox nforce3 withouth having to reformat.

well, i DID reformat, but i didn't have to...windows booted fine. i've always gotten bluescreened if the mobos were from different manufacturers, though.
            [TG]epheneh

Comment

Like I said, same mnfg or same mobo no problems. Apparently same controller works just as well.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by burble
                i went from an epox nforce2 to an epox nforce3 withouth having to reformat.

well, i DID reformat, but i didn't have to...windows booted fine. i've always gotten bluescreened if the mobos were from different manufacturers, though.
                Its pretty much the same IDE controller from NF2-NF4 so one shouldn't ever have a problem.
                [TG]Slim

ACiD, iCE, CiA, UNiON, DOD, PWA, RiSC, Razor1911,gH, l0ft....When Elite wasn't a 13 year old script kiddie

Athlon64 4200 Dual Core
                Gigabyte K8N Ultra
                74Gb WD Raptor
                Leadtek 7800GTX
                Zalman 7700Cu

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                  Like I said, same mnfg or same mobo no problems. Apparently same controller works just as well.

The cause of the blue screens is because of windows trying to load drivers based on the previous config, anything on the NT Platform (NT 4.0,2000,XP, Server 03) running 95,98, or ME would find new hardware, reboot and be fine. Although you can work around the blue screens by re-running setup, hitting "R" on the 3rd screen, not the first that takes you to the repair console. Just an FYI
                  [TG]Slim

Athlon64 4200 Dual Core
                  Gigabyte K8N Ultra
                  74Gb WD Raptor
                  Leadtek 7800GTX
                  Zalman 7700Cu

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement