X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightpack - Ambient Backlighting for Computer / TV Displays

I just pledged $60 for this sucker:

Lightpack Kickstarter Campaign

Looks very cool and certainly will help provide a more immersive experience for both games and TV viewing... Thought it was interesting enough to share!
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Lightpack - Ambient Backlighting for Computer / TV Displays

(Maybe just me....)

I remember something similar in a marketing campaign Sharp did recently for one of their high-end LED TVs...and well I find it very distracting. To the point my eyes would wander away all over the screen becoming unfocused or start focusing on the pulsating pretty lights casting off the back wall. I find my eyes doing the exact same thing watching this video.

Ironically I always seem to have a overhead desk lamp on just out of the top corner of my left eye. I find it distracting especially as my eyes sweep my screen reading documents or watching a video. This is probably a far better solution.

-----

Hmm. Looking at the demo videos and reading through the KS page, it seems like I could just set one shade of a color to project rather than have it analyze and pulsate. Or mayble I can retrain my eyes to stay more focused and away from the pretty distracting lights...

Gosh, I might have to invest in this so I can use it for a house party or something. Or I can just set it up in my room and have it pulsating away at night and help me sleep. :D
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Philips also did it a few years back with their Ambilight range. Looks nice and is supposed to help with eye strain apparently. I could have sworn someone has already got something like this on the market, think I saw it in PCGamer.

Comment

I found the same as acreo , where it actually hurt my eyes watching that video. Maybe it was because it was a cartoon, I would like to see a normal movie to compare.
        sigpic

Former Pathfinder
        Former ARMA Admin
        Former ARMA TGU instructor
        Former TGU Headmaster
        Current Noob
        Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Originally posted by bolagnaise View Post
          I found the same as acreo , where it actually hurt my eyes watching that video. Maybe it was because it was a cartoon, I would like to see a normal movie to compare.
          Keep in mind, it seemed he had the intensity up to 100% to demonstrate the capabilities, but it was certainly able to be dimmed as low or high as the user desired. That was something that I thought about too, but once I saw the control panel for it in the video on the Kickstarter page, I bit the bullet.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't realise that, thanks Apo. This will require me to move my HTPC from my cupboard to my lounge room. I might look into purchasing a USB over LAN adapter so I don't have to do this. So my setup would look like this.
            TV-> lightpack-> USB over LAN adaptor->Switch-> Power over ethernet->power over Ethernet ->router->HTPC.

I have never used a USB over lan adaptor, anyone had experience with them?

Lastly I'm not sure how this will work with my Roku and my PLEX media server on my HTPC. My wife is already telling me I have enough gadgets in the house. I really want an excuse to pledge for this but only if I can make it work.
            sigpic

Former Pathfinder
            Former ARMA Admin
            Former TGU Headmaster
            Current Noob

Comment

Originally posted by bolagnaise View Post
              Yeah, I didn't realise that, thanks Apo. This will require me to move my HTPC from my cupboard to my lounge room. I might look into purchasing a USB over LAN adapter so I don't have to do this. So my setup would look like this.
              TV-> lightpack-> USB over LAN adaptor->Switch-> Power over ethernet->power over Ethernet ->router->HTPC.

I have never used a USB over lan adaptor, anyone had experience with them?

Lastly I'm not sure how this will work with my Roku and my PLEX media server on my HTPC. My wife is already telling me I have enough gadgets in the house. I really want an excuse to pledge for this but only if I can make it work.
              Eeek, that is a pretty daisy chain of connections you got there! :p

As for the USB-to-LAN adapters, they seem to be okay from my limited experience (mostly helping friends install them onto their laptops). Apple users tend to the ones I see toting these adapters around the most (especially Air users). It's pretty much like getting a USB sound card. Plug it in and install your drivers, then plug in your ethernet cable and go. Windows might even have a generic driver for your adapter. If it doesn't, your adapter should come with a driver CD.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Just found out that it will support rasberry Pi. I have one of those!

PLEDGED.
                sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                Former ARMA Admin
                Former TGU Headmaster
                Current Noob

Comment

Very interesting. I have a LED backlight kit for my tv now controlled through a remote control. I like how this uses different colors for the backlight at the same time depending on what's displayed on the TV. I do remember Philips doing this but I didn't want a Philips tv so I did some research on how to make my own. I ended up finding an Arduino+ VLC + Atmolight filter but I didn't want to be stuck using vlc to play everything so I've stuck with the solid backlight. There are other DIY backlighting solutions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_kyRui-NOg but I'd really like to have a something I could buy and just work.

I'm going to pledge $60 now aswell.

This is what I'm using now http://www.barlighting.com/6-Strip-M...-p/6sk-rgb.htm

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

The first update has been released from the light pack team.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...displays/posts

They have included the idiots guide to hooking it up.

I am going to be interested to see how they explain the screen capture process seeing as there is no requirement to plug the device running Prismatik into your TV.
                    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                    Former ARMA Admin
                    Former TGU Headmaster
                    Current Noob

Comment

Second update from the light pack team.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...displays/posts

It has been fully funded and now they are aiming for stretch goals.

sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                      Former ARMA Admin
                      Former TGU Headmaster
                      Current Noob

Comment

Update 3

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...5b7c368be27add

sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                        Former ARMA Admin
                        Former TGU Headmaster
                        Current Noob

Comment

So, how are you lightpacks working for you?

Comment

Originally posted by amu107.9 View Post
                            So, how are you lightpacks working for you?
                            I got mine about 3 weeks ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3chx25j6bi...2023.20.33.mov

I really need two to get the full effect.
                            sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                            Former ARMA Admin
                            Former TGU Headmaster
                            Current Noob

Comment

I bought one of those LED strips at Costco the other day.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X