Is there any way:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any way:

To repartition a hard-drive without formatting it?

Or

To test an operating system's performance on your PC without removing your current OS and with only one hard-drive.

I'm running Windows XP Home, and I want to upgrade to pro, but I've got a copy from my school, and it has a site liscense only. I'm not sure that it will work outside the school, but I believe it will. We normally use it as a last resort, and this is a last resort on my behalf due to spy-ware garbage eatting my RAM and etc.

I also need to know if my motherboard can be upgraded to a P4 3.0.

I'm running a 1.78 atm, and as far as I can understand, I can upgrade to any P4 because of the socket and it should work, pending a possible flash of the ROM.

Anyone please help...

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: Is there any way:

Originally posted by Yer Mom
    To repartition a hard-drive without formatting it?

Or

To test an operating system's performance on your PC without removing your current OS and with only one hard-drive.

I'm running Windows XP Home, and I want to upgrade to pro, but I've got a copy from my school, and it has a site liscense only. I'm not sure that it will work outside the school, but I believe it will. We normally use it as a last resort, and this is a last resort on my behalf due to spy-ware garbage eatting my RAM and etc.

I also need to know if my motherboard can be upgraded to a P4 3.0.

I'm running a 1.78 atm, and as far as I can understand, I can upgrade to any P4 because of the socket and it should work, pending a possible flash of the ROM.

Anyone please help...

-Mom
    Yep! Partition Magic will do what you want. This is how I shuffled the partitions around on my laptop to prepare for a Fedora 3 / Windows XP dual boot.

http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

As for your motherboard. This I can not answer as you have not told us what motherboard you have. :row__586:
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

So, Apo, I've got a question. As far as legality goes, if I were to install this site liscense on my computer, as in, the school I go to spent about 3000 dollars and got this so that they can install it on up to like 5000 computers, and I use it, what will happen? Anything? I need the reformat, and I need the OS. Will I be breaking the law?

Also, Compaq says that I have to upgrade my drivers to XP Professional compatable. I'm not sure what this means, but will it work to upgrade a Compaq PC to Windows XP Professional from Windows XP home, when I have upgraded everything except my HD and my CPU.

Compaq blows.

-Mom
      Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom
        Will I be breaking the law?
        Is the PC in question your personal PC? If so, yes.

Also, Compaq says that I have to upgrade my drivers to XP Professional compatable.
        Complete BS. There is little difference between the pro and home versions of XP, and absolutely no difference between the device drivers.

If you have a legal copy of the home edition, I see no reason to upgrade. Instead, just backup your important files and format/reinstall.
        Steam Community: | |

Comment

Acronis Disk Director is a cheaper alternative that I've had good luck with.

Comment

That's my problem, Kormendi. I've had this PC for about 5 years, and I've lost my factory restore disk in the process of moving from house to house.

See my problem?

-Mom
            Yer Mom /O>

Comment

ok, here is my solution... use this program http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html to get a copy of your cdkey and then download a windows xp home ISO and you should be set

kinda illegal because you are downloading a copy of the CD, but you own a vaild product key.
              Steam Community: | |

Comment

That may not work though, I tried to do something similar a while back when I forgot the administrator password on my computer, and the cd key you have may not work with that ISO image.
                -----------------------------
                Check out my site, Im very proud of it, so you diss it, you die.

Comment

read the sticky in this forum about XP and eula's.......

next, look at the sticker, and if it says OEM at the top, get an OEM media, if not, get a retail media, but I can bet that compaq would put an OEM sticker on.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Hiren's Boot CD is what you need, it has everything you need, we use it daily at the office D/L it, burn with Nero or the burner of your choice and reboot, has easy to follow menu's and has about 8 partion resizers, etc.
                    The link:
                    http://www.blumaise.org/files/tools/Hiren's%20boot%20CD%207.0/Hiren.BootCD.7.0.iso
                    [TG]Slim

A member of the old school Scene,
                    ACiD, iCE, CiA, UNiON, DOD, PWA, RiSC, Razor1911,gH, l0ft....When Elite wasn't a 13 year old script kiddie

Athlon64 4200 Dual Core
                    Gigabyte K8N Ultra
                    74Gb WD Raptor
                    Leadtek 7800GTX
                    2GB OCZ EL Matched DDR 533
                    Zalman 7700Cu

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement