PSU suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU suggestions

Alright, I am looking for a PSU for my computer. It would need to be modular, 850W, and preferably Gold or Silver certified unit. I am upgrading from a 620W Eco from Antec. I have run into issues with my hardware losing power since I bought a new graphics card and tried overclocking my CPU.

I looked at some XFX and Corsair products and think that their prices seem to be similar for their products.

Any suggestions on what might be a good buy?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: PSU suggestions

The last two Corsair PSU's I bought both died premature deaths. Right now I'm running a modular 1kW Thermaltake that's served me quite well.

This isn't the exact one, but it's pretty close: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153162

I have an Antec 850W in my son's computer that's been solid for years now.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I also have an Antec 850 modular, it has no lights , flashy paint job or fancy badges. It just sits there in the dark recesses of my computer and works day after day.

Comment

was looking at these two XFX PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817207028

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817207017

I was thinking about buying the second one, but I am not sure...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

this thing double posts some times, so I edit...

I also am curious, what killed your Corsairs, Apophis?

Comment

Either or would be nice. Personally, I have a Kingwin 1000W semi modular (this one to be exact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817121089), and if I could do it again I would get a fully modular. It's a pain having a cable or 2 that have no use (like an extra CPU cable for the socket 2011 CPUs).

I would personally go for #1.

Comment

the completely modular design sounds like a good thing then

Comment

You only use the connectors that you need which makes for better airflow and a cleaner looking build.

Comment

A shame to hear about your trouble with the Corsair power supply units Apo. I'm going on 3 years with the Corsair HX750 without a hitch...cripes I better knock on wood.
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                    this thing double posts some times, so I edit...

I also am curious, what killed your Corsairs, Apophis?
                    I have no idea what caused one of them to die. The other one died one day when I accidentally pulled the plug out of the wall. Oddly enough, when I plugged it back in; the power supply no longer worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                      A shame to hear about your trouble with the Corsair power supply units Apo. I'm going on 3 years with the Corsair HX750 without a hitch...cripes I better knock on wood.
                      I don't blame Corsair. Stuff happens and products die. I also tend to get a lot of power outages and whatnot where I live, so I have had to invest in a bit of power conditioning and filtering on a whole-home level. Both of the Corsair PSU's I had were in use BEFORE I started conditioning all the power coming into my house. I wouldn't take my experiences as anything against Corsair products though.

Comment

Just purchased the ThermalTake 1.2KW PSU modular gold certified about a month ago, I am quite happy so far.

Comment

I put a Seasonic into my latest build. It's been going strong for a year, powering a GTX 680 and whatnot without a hiccup. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151087
                          I've also had good luck with a Corsair that is still powering my old/my wife's current PC (3 years).

One note about modular - while it is neater, the connectors will cause the power supply to perform a tiny bit worse, and they will add to the cost of the unit.

If I were you, I'd subscribe to newegg's promo list and just pick up a well rated supply when it goes on sale.
                          Might also want to use http://www.techbargains.com/product/power_supply and see what comes up.

Whatever you do, do not cheap out on the power supply. Get more power than you will need as not to overly tax it and it will live longer.

Comment

I just bought a Corsair at the beginning of the month. If it fails I'm holding Apophis responsible ;)

|

Comment

I saw an xfx pro something or another gold 1050w for 189.99... Is it worth it?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X