7970 Ghz Edition vs Evga GTX 670 FTW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7970 Ghz Edition vs Evga GTX 670 FTW

So, I am finishing up the researching stage for my new build. A part that I am now stuck on, is which GPU I should buy. I was originally going for the 7970 Ghz Edition. My only concern was that when I looked at the reviews on Newegg I saw that a lot of people said that it had a high failure rate. So, I contacted a friend who knows a lot about computers and he suggested that I should look at the EVGA GTX 670 FTW. Price is not really an issue but I am just trying to figure out what the best card for me would be. Thanks in advance and cheers!

Re: 7970 Ghz Edition vs Evga GTX 670 FTW

If you go with a 7970 Ghz, make sure you look for one that is made with custom cooling units. Consider XFX Double Dissipation or something similar to that... I bought an XFX Double D HD 7950 recently and that thing is a beast in and of itself, so spend the extra for the 7970 Ghz with the higher end cooling from a company that has a venerable warranty system. Also, the HD7970 Ghz should be better performance than the 670, in fact, it usually does better than the 680... By the way, XFX is great...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

The XFX Double D version was the one I was looking at. Looked great, but are you able to send a link of one with custom cooling. I would have no idea what to look for. lol

Comment

I have the Asus Radeon HD7970 DCIIT 3GB. It's a complete beast and best card i've ever had performance wise. You won't get annoyed either because of noise because its incredibly quiet. One thing though, it's immense, so make sure it can fit in your case. I don't know much about that specific 7970, but if its anything like mine, go for it.

Comment

I recently bought the Gigabyte 7970 ghz edition, great card.. quiet under gaming load. For specifics... PlanetSide 2, 1920x1080 all settings on high and in a zerg battle.... 70fps.

Comment

Here's the 7970 GHzs to look at.

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202001

XFX Double D Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150632

ASUS MATRIX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814121671R

Keep a watchful eye on that ASUS, as it's an open box deal and $100 cheaper than if you bought one in the manufacturer packaging.

Keep in mind, the 8000 series are going to be coming out soon, so you could either wait and get one of those, or wait and see if the prices of the 7000 series go down.

Comment

Also, be very very careful with ASUS, as their reputation for their warranty and customer support is decreasing... They make good products, but pray that it does not fall apart...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I've never had any problems dealing with ASUS tech support or using their warranty services. I made use of their warranty service for a RMA on a refurb laptop last year. Spent all of 20 minutes on the phone with a rep, got a RMA number and a prepaid box sent out to me. Friendly, pretty fast, and answered most of my questions (some were things he couldn't answer, understandable). Just keep in mind that if you're patience and calm, things get resolved much faster and better (rather than taking the mean, angry, and loud approach).

As for the versus, get the 7970 GHz edition. You'll get better performance and higher framerates than a GTX 670. With a good custom/aftermarket cooler, I hear they overclock pretty well too. :)
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

In regards to asus, I sent a ROG series laptop in and even identified specific problems per their request and some things were claimed to be repaired yet the problem remains...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X