Dual GPU (Crossfire) Fan Blade Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual GPU (Crossfire) Fan Blade Issues

Recently I rebuilt my system with a MOBO that was supposed to be Crossfire ready, and it has 2x PCIE Slots, at x8 when running 2 or x16 when running one.

I got my second card in and setup, but it has these obnoxious four screws sticking out the back of the second card that are hitting the fan blade on the first GPU in the case.

I have separated the cards slightly using the screws that hold in the PCIE cards (not ideal) and it is fine when running the case on it's side, but I really need the case to stand up to fit on my desk.

For the moment I have wedged an eraser in between the cards to separate them, it's relatively heat resistant and non-conductive, but I am worried about the long term implications of this.

The cards in question are ATI HD 7870's, Eyefinity 6 model.

Re: Dual GPU (Crossfire) Fan Blade Issues

You have several options, they are going to cost you additional cash but options non-the-less:
    1) Look for aftermarket heat-sink fan kits for your cards. 7870s were very popular, I had one myself until it died during a PCS move. I should have removed the card from the MOBO.
    2) Liquid cooling. I don't want to say much more as there are 1000 ways to go about this.
    a. Figured I would throw this in, its a self contained system for GPUs. http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vg...ro-hybrid.html
    3) New mobo with the PCI-E slot set further apart or with TRI SLI/XFire capable.
    4) http://www.overclock.net/t/1203528/o...ub-aka-the-mod Not sure if this will work for your card.

Your cost free option is as you already described. Find something non-conductive and use to to separate them.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Originally posted by Beinseth View Post
      You have several options, they are going to cost you additional cash but options non-the-less:
      1) Look for aftermarket heat-sink fan kits for your cards. 7870s were very popular, I had one myself until it died during a PCS move. I should have removed the card from the MOBO.
      2) Liquid cooling. I don't want to say much more as there are 1000 ways to go about this.
      a. Figured I would throw this in, its a self contained system for GPUs. http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vg...ro-hybrid.html
      3) New mobo with the PCI-E slot set further apart or with TRI SLI/XFire capable.
      4) http://www.overclock.net/t/1203528/o...ub-aka-the-mod Not sure if this will work for your card.

Your cost free option is as you already described. Find something non-conductive and use to to separate them.
      Interestingly enough, these cards are apparently liquid cooled already, and the motherboard advertises itself as Quad Xfire capable (I already posted a review letting them know what I thought about it.

I actually tried switch the cards around - the screws on the back on one seem to be further in then the screws on the back of the other and not only is my system running, it seems to be running quieter.

I do still have the erasers wedged in there though.

Comment

My friend had this issue with his 3 7970s. Let me guess, are your cards reference design?. He ended up exchanging them for MSI cards with a non reference cooler.
        sigpic

Former Pathfinder
        Former ARMA Admin
        Former ARMA TGU instructor
        Former TGU Headmaster
        Current Noob
        Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Originally posted by bolagnaise View Post
          My friend had this issue with his 3 7970s. Let me guess, are your cards reference design?. He ended up exchanging them for MSI cards with a non reference cooler.
          I don't know if they are reference design - I would guess not since I ordered them from two different places and received the same card.

I do suspect this wouldn't happen if I didn't have the models of cards that I have, but the ones I have are the only ones with Eyefinity Six...so, yeah.

After some Arma 2 and Arma 3 this weekend system was running much quieter (following the swapping of the cards between the slots) so I am hopefully that I'm all good to go now.

Comment

If they are Quad SLI, move your second card to the third slot, get a longer sli bridge (if your bridge is too short... http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Nvidia-fl.../dp/B0025VT6LQ ) and be done with your issues.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X