Troubleshooting Random freezes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting Random freezes

After returning from overseas, my system has been acting weird. Normally my system is rock solid and when I do run into issues I understand and know that google is my friend. The problem I am having now is random freezing. The timing of the freezes is just that, random. The length of the freeze is also random. Sometimes the system will freeze for a second or two and than resume normal operation. This is generally followed by more freezing with the length of the freezing varying but becoming longer in length. If the system locks up for more than 20-30 second, I do a hard reboot using the reset button on the case as keyboard and mouse will not respond. A system reboot seems to fix the issue for awhile, but within 24 hours it will begin to lock up once more.

I have installed some new programs, but nothing I haven't had installed in the past. Teamviewer being the most recent addition. I use teamviewer to work on a laptop I have setup as an XBMC machine in the living room. I did have to rebuild the system from the ground up, after my return. This included reattaching the Corsair H60 liquid cooler, I did clean and reapply thermal paste. Temps on the CPU have been well under normal operating limits. I think the highest temp I have seen so far is 150 F. This was during 1-2 hours of gameplay. I have also added a new hard drive, Samsung 256GB SSD PM830. This is an OEM only SSD and I have yet to find newer firmware from Samsung. Dell has A firmware update, but I have read that it causes as many issues as it MAY fix.

I am not sure what other information you may require, but fire away and I will see what I can provide. Thanks in advance for assistance, regardless if I have already performed the step or not.

|TG-IRR|

Re: Troubleshooting Random freezes

Originally posted by Beinseth View Post
    After returning from overseas, my system has been acting weird. Normally my system is rock solid and when I do run into issues I understand and know that google is my friend. The problem I am having now is random freezing. The timing of the freezes is just that, random. The length of the freeze is also random. Sometimes the system will freeze for a second or two and than resume normal operation. This is generally followed by more freezing with the length of the freezing varying but becoming longer in length. If the system locks up for more than 20-30 second, I do a hard reboot using the reset button on the case as keyboard and mouse will not respond. A system reboot seems to fix the issue for awhile, but within 24 hours it will begin to lock up once more.
    Sounds like a few things to me (I am only a hobbyist, a tech guru might be able to be more specific).

1. A program you are running could have a memory leak.

2. You could have a bad stick of ram.

3. You could have a hard disk problem (or SSD as the case may be). A bad page file, bad sectors, or other things like that.

4. An SSD setup problem (you would need to tell us how you have the page file setup and what you did to make sure the SSD is in the right mode).

There are diagnostic programs for HDD/SSD health and RAM health, but I think I would start just by opening task manager (or better yet Resource Monitor) and watching to see if your ram usage jumps. Then you could track down the program with the memory leak if that is the case.

I have used this for ram testing before

http://www.memtest.org/

and this Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for HDD testing (obviously I have Western Digital, but I think it works for all brands. You manufacturer though may have their own diagnostic tool)

http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...&sid=3&lang=en

Someone else may post with better ideas, but I hope this helps.

Comment

1. How does one go about seeing if a program is memory leaking?

2. The memory is in good shape.

3. HDDs have already been checked over with chkdisk.

4. SSDs have been setup in accordance with recommendations from: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/s...-for-ssds-hdds

Should have mentioned that I have two SSDs. Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB w/ Win7 Ultimate and the Samsung for game installs

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Originally posted by Beinseth View Post
        1. How does one go about seeing if a program is memory leaking?

2. The memory is in good shape.

3. HDDs have already been checked over with chkdisk.

4. SSDs have been setup in accordance with recommendations from: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/s...-for-ssds-hdds

Should have mentioned that I have two SSDs. Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB w/ Win7 Ultimate and the Samsung for game installs
        Looks like you have eliminated most of those then. Here is how to look for a memory leak. First, familiarize yourself with Resource monitor if you haven't already.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24167...e_monitor.html

Whenever your computer starts freezing (or even before that), open resource monitor and pay particular attention to memory, but also CPU.

If your memory usage is very high (not sure how much RAM you have, but typically you won't be using more than 1 or 2 gig idle in Windows 7 and 4 or so maximum if you are running something like BF3. A few games will use more, but they have to be 64bit native and not many are).

If you see memory use spiking, take a look at the processes and see which ones are causing the spike. The size of the working set is the best indicator, though you can tell by looking at the commit as well.

Watch your CPU for high usage and your network for high usage as well. High network usage while you are sure you are not downloading or doing anything online can show a malware infection.

Hope you can find it...

Comment

I noticed something else today, whenever my system starts locking up the cursor either disappears or it will turn into the ][ cursor similar to what you see when you hover over a text field.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Have you looked for any kind of errors in the windows event log? It sounds daunting but at least it can give you an indication of what applications might be causing problems.

Comment

Funny I found this thread, I've been having the exact same issue recently, with the totally random freezes and the ][ cursor thing too.

I thought the worst looking at posts from forums found through google searches. Suggestions of HDD/SSD failures, RAM failures, driver failures made me think I was in for the long haul on this one.

After looking at and trying lots of various things relating to different pieces of hardware, I tried one simple thing 2 days ago and so far I haven't had a freeze or a cursor "malfunction".

What did I do? I hear you ask.... I cleaned my registry using PC Tools Registry Mechanic.

I forgot I had it installed and the log said the last time I used it was just over a year ago... It's only been two days since I done it but no freezing yet and it was happening multiple times a day before this.

Anyway, its worth a try, I'm pretty sure its not difficult to get your hands on a registry cleaning tool.

I just hope I haven't spoke too soon, I'll post back here if I get another freeze in the mean time.
              It matters not what letters or numbers come before my name, I'll always be 1stMIP.

sigpic

"It is all about being a teamplayer. Give a kitchen sink to a teamplayer and he'll find a way to support his squad with it."
              - John_CANavar (Marshall & Founder of the 1st Mechanized Infantry Platoon)

Comment

As a working Technical Support person, I would recommend a few things first for any issues at all.

First and foremost, download 3 programs: Super AntiSpyware, Autoruns, and Ccleaner.

In SAS, install and let it update. Run a Quick Scan and see what it finds. It works better than anything else I've used in the field for Spyware/Adware. BE SURE TO UNINSTALL THIS SOFTWARE WHEN YOU FINISH WITH IT.

Autoruns is a very advanced version of MSCONFIG. It shows you what programs/drivers/etc runs when the computer boots. You should go through that list and delete anything that you do not recognize. If you are afraid to delete things, then it's likely you don't need to. DO NOT delete anything with a recognizable label. IE: Intel, Cyberlink, Linksys, Epson, etc etc etc... If it's something like CouponBar or Google stuff, get rid of it. You'll likely see a bunch of junk you had no idea is actually running on your PC. KEEP IN MIND some of these things are drivers that you need for your system to function. IF YOU DELETE SOMETHING YOU NEED and some hardware or software is crashing or not working, just reinstall it and you will be fine. If you need any more direction beyond this, feel free to PM me or post here.

Ccleaner is an excellent tool to clean browser data and registry. When you get it downloaded, open it up. Notice there are 4 buttons on the left hand side of the screen. The first one opens by default. When in that screen, click run cleaner, let it run and you're done. Once that is finished, be sure to click Registry on the left (looks like a stack of blue blocks) and run a scan and fix issues with that. If it finds more than 400 or 500 issues in registry, you likely just solved your problem.

I would also recommend a chkdsk on your HDD. Hold the Windows key on your keyboard and hit R. In the run prompt that opens, type cmd. In the DOS prompt that opens, type chkdsk /f and hit enter. It will likely make you restart your PC and run the scan during boot. There are other methods of running a chkdsk. If you know them, follow them. If not, try it this way and let me know if you need any help.

This isn't just for you guys having problems. I would recommend these steps for ANYONE using a PC at least once a month. This process will ensure your PC is clean and running efficiently.

As far as random freezes go, these steps may solve your issue and they may not. If they do not, I would recommend cleaning the dust out of your PC if you haven't already. If you feel comfortable removing your processor, take it out, be sure that the fan on it is dust free (if you smoke, and it's been in there forever, I'd suggest replacing it if it's all gummed up with tar), take the processor out and check for any damages. You're looking for scorch marks or bent pins (if you've removed it recently). If it's an older processor, it'll likely have "heat dope" on it where it touches the heat sink from the fan. Check to make sure that heat dope isn't crusty and dry. If it is, get some new dope from a local computer shop (or online). I'd recommend the expensive stuff, not the cheap stuff (like $9 a tube here).

The most likely cause for any "freezing" issues are either overheating or hard drive corruption. Overheating is easy enough to solve. Corruption can be anything from reinstalling Windows to a simple chkdsk. It just depends on what has been corrupted. A chkdsk should help immensely if you haven't done one recently.

I can solve just about any problem with a PC. If you guys run across anything, feel free to PM me.
                Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                Forever Perplexed

Comment

Please refer to my blog for a more in depth version of this guide and a few more software mentions.

Mom
                  Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                  Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                  Forever Perplexed

Comment

You stated that you recently returned home from overseas.. did your computer made the trip with you?

If so, the trip may have loosened an HDD/SSD data cable connection or perhaps wiggled a stick of RAM loose. If none of the above suggestions work, try checking all of the data cable connections inside the computer, as well as re-seating your RAM and expansion cards (sound, video, USB, etc.).

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X