Joystick recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joystick recommendations

I'm interested in getting a joystick so I can fly planes online... But I certainly don't want to spend a lot of money. I'm looking for a good entry level joystick that'll allow me to try my hand at flight sims.

How is something like THIS?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Thats what I fly with Cing...it's a GREAT stick...however consider the updated version..I have it too !

I like the logitech sticks because they have a metal sleeve bearing pivot. They have good spring tension, unlike Saitek garbage. Buy either that one or this:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=12&CONTENTID=6954&countryid=19&langua geid=1

Both sticks do a great job, except the newer one I posted has a sweet feature. Once calibrated, it stores and autocenters itself. This is so it never goes out of alignment due to wear...it will just keep auto calibrating. :)

One of the best things about IL2 is that you only need to program about 6 buttons on your stick anyhow. ;)

Comment

Hey Cing,

I have the one you showed...have had it for about three years....I'm not much of a flight guy as is illustrated by my horrible strafing in BF 1942...usually ending with me and the plane 30 feet in the ground.

However...i have had no problem with it...Logitech Wingman Extreme is a decent entry level stick.

A question for you Holly,

I downloaded the latest software from Logitech, cause the current software that came with the stick was not comapatible with Win XP...calibrated and was fine for BF 1942...Now however the joystick works fine even though when I try to re-calibrate...it says that the joystick is not responding? Hmmmm.....I blame my flying on the calibration issue...hehehe.

Any suggestions?
      "On My Commad, Unleash Hell"
      "And Let Slip The Dogs Of War"

Comment

I have the Saitek Cyborg 3D and it's not bad. It doesn't calibrate perfectly because the twist handle doesn't center right. I'm a crappy pilot in BF1942 if that helps with anything. :)

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I also have an MS Presision Pro that I have been very happy with. I bought it primarily for mechwarrior games way back when and loved it but have not used it much and have not had any flight sims to use it on. What is a good simto look for? One I can learn but don't have to have a pilot's license to use. :D
          "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

Well, it looks like we're going to get a IL2: Forgotten Battles server soon Quarath, so that might be a good investment. Spectre is gonna be posting a few guides soon, hopefully. :)

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
              I have the Saitek Cyborg 3D and it's not bad. It doesn't calibrate perfectly because the twist handle doesn't center right. I'm a crappy pilot in BF1942 if that helps with anything. :)
              Same stick here, and I like it. I fly a mean helicopter in Desert Combat. Had some driver issues initially, but Saitek fixed them. Spring tension is just fine. The throttle also has great resistance, unlike most MS sticks which you can bump with your pinky and send all the way to either stop.

I've heard that the MS force-feedback has adjustable resistance on the stick, meaning you can adjust to your desired level of "spring tension." If so, that's an awesome feature.
              "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Guys..so you know...one of the worst things about the MS sticks is that they have a weak spring rate. It feels like you're flying you're plane with a limp noodle. The logitech sticks have a good and firm spring rate. And yeah...you can bet you're butt I'm gonna write some training guides for IL2 !

Comment

Yeah holly, I concur with that. I have the new sidewinder (I think? It was the 40 dollar one with the twisting joystick), and the thing requires no effort to move around all over the place. I'm thinking about replacing it.

Comment

Originally posted by MikoLovesYou
                    Yeah holly, I concur with that. I have the new sidewinder (I think? It was the 40 dollar one with the twisting joystick), and the thing requires no effort to move around all over the place. I'm thinking about replacing it.
                    Please do, a loose flightstick makes flying horribly difficult. I had a friend who had a MS stick and I convinced him to buy IL2FB. When he flew it he got way pissed and complained that he couldn't control the plane and he was over the place. I gave him my logitech to try out and he was totally shocked at the amount of control a good stiff spring can provide.

Return the MS stick, and buy Logitech.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                      i fully recommend this stick.... I never had the twist rudder issue you've had either (had 3 sticks, 2 USB ones and 1 of the "old" ones)

Ive now moved to a Saitek X45 and hate the fact it doesnt have a twist rudder... ive lost control of my plane :(
                      From Adam Webb

Comment

Logitech, Logitech, Logitech....OR a Thrustmaster Cougar. ;)

Comment

The rudder issue on the Saitek isn't that bad as long as the game has deadzone settings. It's actually quite common with the Cyborg 3D because I've seen others on their tech support forum talk about this and ways of fixing it.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre
                            OR a Thrustmaster Cougar. ;)
                            Is this one of those sim rigs for the hardcore flightsim junkies that costs a few hundred bucks?

I've put the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick on my Xmas list...
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                              Originally posted by Spectre
                              OR a Thrustmaster Cougar. ;)
                              Is this one of those sim rigs for the hardcore flightsim junkies that costs a few hundred bucks?

I've put the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick on my Xmas list...

yup ;)

http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/hotas.php3?skin=Hotas

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X