Gaming Rig 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming Rig 2013

So it's been over four years since I last built / upgraded my desktop. The link in my sig points to my current system. Two kids + new house really put a damper on playing games let alone buying anything. So I've sold the house and am renting out the kids and plan to use the proceeds to get a new rig.

Other than accessories (mouse, keyboard, possibly case fans) the only item I'm retaining is the PSU. Here's the spec list of what I'll be pulling the trigger on soon. I toyed with getting a GTX 670 instead of the 770, but with everything else I figured I'd take the plunge.

I also was contemplating water cooling mostly for reduced noise (not OCing) but not sure I'm ready or have the time for that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($200.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($132.13 @ TigerDirect)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($509.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
    Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1782.04
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-05 22:22 EDT-0400)
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Gaming Rig 2013

4GB card worth the extra cash yet? I remember reading when I bought my 670 that unless you played skyrim with a bunch of fancy texture mods it would basically be a waste of money.

Also note microcenter has cpu/MB combos.

http://www.microcenter.com/site/bran...r-bundles.aspx
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I have this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121560 and ive never come close to using 3GB. not even when I have BF3 going on my pc and fifa on my tv screen simultaneously(hdmi connection) plus music.

Unless you get it cheap i wouldnt go for something that you probably wont end up using anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
        4GB card worth the extra cash yet? I remember reading when I bought my 670 that unless you played skyrim with a bunch of fancy texture mods it would basically be a waste of money.

Also note microcenter has cpu/MB combos.

http://www.microcenter.com/site/bran...r-bundles.aspx
        Skyrim was one of the games I played and attempted to load it up with mods. My existing system failed but i'm sure that was more about the age of my current rig. Though I just did some research on the 2GB vs 4GB and it does appear that you only need the 4GB in multi-monitor highres configurations. So I'll drop that down to 2GB. Thanks!!

As for the combo deals... I'm pretty set on the Asus ROG Maximus VI series. I haven't found any combos for the Hero board yet.
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

Just some nit picking.
          1. If your going to spend $80 on a HSF, you might as well look into one of the many self contained liquid cooling systems from Corsair and Antec. I have had the Corsair H60 for just over two years and it has allowed me to overclock my i5-2500k to 4.9 Ghz. It quiet, easy to setup and reduced my case temps as the heat from the rad goes straight out the back of the case. Liquid Coolers at Newegg $75-100

2. I know that bigger is normally better, but why 16GB RAM? I run 8GB of RAM, run dual monitors, normally a game, couple of web browsers, and a few other programs all at the same time and have yet wished I had more memory. 8GB will run you almost half what your looking to pay for 16 and I highly doubt you would notice the difference. How much RAM do I need? (Early 2013 edition)

3. Asus ROG motherboards are very nice. I have a Maximus IV Gene Z in my system, but I got it for a steal. $200 for a motherboard is a little high.
          --Intel LGA 1150 Z87 $100-200
          a. ASRock Z87 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 $170
          b. MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 $155
          c. GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 $160

4. NEVER SKIMP ON POWER SUPPLY <-------------------------------
          5. NEVER SKIMP ON POWER SUPPLY <-------------------------------
          6. NEVER SKIMP ON POWER SUPPLY you are installing all new components that cost you hard earned money. The one component in your system that can fry all of that money at once is the PSU. Spend the extra $100-200 on a stable PSU. I dont really see a need, in your build, for more than 700W. If you think you might go full blown water cooling, add a few more HDDs, a metric ton of fans, fan controller, or a second card 700W should be more than enough. And as always, linkies:
          PSUs 601W-700W
          PSUs 601W-700W, $100-200. I recommend Corsair HX 650

|TG-IRR|

Comment

You spend a little more at Newegg, but I still like their customer service. Its also nice not having to remember which part was bought were, just encase something does go wrong during its warranty period. Also notice there is a PSU and GPU for about the same as what you originally posted.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
            CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
            Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
            Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.00 @ Newegg)
            Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($239.99 @ Newegg)
            Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
            Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($465.91 @ Newegg)
            Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
            Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
            Total: $1805.83
            (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-06 20:46 EDT-0400)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
            Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($185.98 @ SuperBiiz)
            Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.00 @ Newegg)
            Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
            Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
            Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Amazon)
            Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
            Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
            Total: $1738.89
            (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-06 20:47 EDT-0400)

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Originally posted by Beinseth View Post
              Just some nit picking.
              1. If your going to spend $80 on a HSF, you might as well look into one of the many self contained liquid cooling systems from Corsair and Antec. I have had the Corsair H60 for just over two years and it has allowed me to overclock my i5-2500k to 4.9 Ghz. It quiet, easy to setup and reduced my case temps as the heat from the rad goes straight out the back of the case. Liquid Coolers at Newegg $75-100
              I was looking at the self contained coolers but since I didn't have any experience with them I wasn't sure what all went into it. I'm familiar with the noctua brand fans and they run pretty quiet. The reviews I read on the various all-in-one coolers have been mixed.

What brand / model would you recommend?

2. I know that bigger is normally better, but why 16GB RAM? I run 8GB of RAM, run dual monitors, normally a game, couple of web browsers, and a few other programs all at the same time and have yet wished I had more memory. 8GB will run you almost half what your looking to pay for 16 and I highly doubt you would notice the difference. How much RAM do I need? (Early 2013 edition)
              I also use this rig for may daily job. I often have multiple VMs running at once. So the RAM is more for work than it is play.

3. Asus ROG motherboards are very nice. I have a Maximus IV Gene Z in my system, but I got it for a steal. $200 for a motherboard is a little high.
              --Intel LGA 1150 Z87 $100-200
              a. ASRock Z87 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 $170
              b. MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 $155
              c. GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 $160
              I've been wanting an ROG brand for a while. I'm impressed by the quality they put into their products for the purposes of gaming... along with the software they include.

4. NEVER SKIMP ON POWER SUPPLY <-------------------------------
              5. NEVER SKIMP ON POWER SUPPLY <-------------------------------
              6. NEVER SKIMP ON POWER SUPPLY you are installing all new components that cost you hard earned money. The one component in your system that can fry all of that money at once is the PSU. Spend the extra $100-200 on a stable PSU. I dont really see a need, in your build, for more than 700W. If you think you might go full blown water cooling, add a few more HDDs, a metric ton of fans, fan controller, or a second card 700W should be more than enough. And as always, linkies:
              PSUs 601W-700W
              PSUs 601W-700W, $100-200. I recommend Corsair HX 650
              I was planning to reuse the PSU I already have.

Thermaltake 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA Power Supply

Do you think I should replace it given it's age? Or is the quality / power an issue?
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

You spend a little more at Newegg, but I still like their customer service. Its also nice not having to remember which part was bought were, just encase something does go wrong during its warranty period. Also notice there is a PSU and GPU for about the same as what you originally posted.
                Yeah, I'm not actually purchasing all of the parts from where pcpartpicker has them listed. I just copied that from the site itself. All of the parts I'm looking at are available on Amazon. And given I'm an Amazon Primer user (free 2-day shipping)... it's actually cheaper to purchase from Amazon than newegg. But both Amazon and newegg are really the only two places I buy most of my PC gear.
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

For the all-in-one cooler, I recommend the Corsair coolers but its my personal preference. I had no experience with them before I installed mine. Its been bulletproof thus far. Depending on how much of an overclock, your ambient room temperature, or case size; I recommend any of the single 120mm fan setups. I think they are named H60 and H80 or something like that.

As for the PSU, you built the system in 09? That makes it 4 years old. How often is the system run hard? Has it been on the majority of those 4 years? I would say, if you can find the $100, get a new PSU. Your basically building a new system, find the $100 and have the peace of mind that your older one isnt going to fry all of you new purty parts.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

I've been using the Cooler Master Seidon 120M and wow, I don't think I could go back to air-cooled. Very quiet, very cool, and very easy to install. I'm sure there are youtube install videos where you can get the idea.

There are some other fringe benefits, the much smaller radiator and better positioning gives you better ambient air flow in your case, gives you more space to work, and makes it easier to clean dust out of the radiator.

If you can spare the change for liquid, I don't think you would be disappointed.

Oh, and as the others have mentioned, when you've got 1700$+ of hardware on the line... I'd pay for the peace of mind of a new PSU.

Oh, and (again) if you've never used a PC with a Solid State Drive before... you are in for a real treat. Best of luck!
                    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

As for the PSU, you built the system in 09? That makes it 4 years old. How often is the system run hard? Has it been on the majority of those 4 years? I would say, if you can find the $100, get a new PSU. Your basically building a new system, find the $100 and have the peace of mind that your older one isnt going to fry all of you new purty parts.
                      Yeah, good point. A new PSU is probably warranted. Any recommendations?

For the all-in-one cooler, I recommend the Corsair coolers but its my personal preference. I had no experience with them before I installed mine. Its been bulletproof thus far. Depending on how much of an overclock, your ambient room temperature, or case size; I recommend any of the single 120mm fan setups. I think they are named H60 and H80 or something like that.
                      Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                      I've been using the Cooler Master Seidon 120M and wow, I don't think I could go back to air-cooled. Very quiet, very cool, and very easy to install. I'm sure there are youtube install videos where you can get the idea.

There are some other fringe benefits, the much smaller radiator and better positioning gives you better ambient air flow in your case, gives you more space to work, and makes it easier to clean dust out of the radiator.
                      Any reason to stick to a single 120mm fan setup vs a 240/280mm dual fan setup? The case supports a slim 240/280mm with the top fan spots.

With these all in one water cooling options... is it as simple as attaching it to the cpu and the fans to the case? Do I need to purchase a reservoir, coolant, etc.?
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

I have the corsair H100 and it is very easy to install, no res or coolant is needed, it is a closed system, no maintenance, the H100 has quite a large 280mm radiator and for me I had to mod my case to make it fit, but they do smaller radiators that fit at the back of the case and these will fit nearly any case.

http://www.corsair.com/us/cpu-coolin...pu-cooler.html

I highly recommend these or similar coolers, they really come into their own during high loads, I play Planetside 2 with my i7 920 running at 4ghz and graphics set to high and textures on ultra and the temps never go over 60 c.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
                          I have the corsair H100 and it is very easy to install, no res or coolant is needed, it is a closed system, no maintenance, the H100 has quite a large 280mm radiator and for me I had to mod my case to make it fit, but they do smaller radiators that fit at the back of the case and these will fit nearly any case.
                          What sort of modding did you have to do to the case?
                          |TG-12th| asch
                          sigpic

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151118

Good power supply on sale at the moment if you do decide you need one. My opinion is that you will be fine reusing your current one as it appears it always had plenty of overhead in its previous use. Of course I don't spend as much on my computers so there is that.
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Here's my latest parts list. I'm horrible at evaluating PSUs so I tried to go off the newegg/amazon comments as best I could.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($85.99 @ Newegg)
                              Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($200.99 @ SuperBiiz)
                              Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($132.13 @ TigerDirect)
                              Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($223.22 @ Amazon)
                              Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
                              Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($133.98 @ SuperBiiz)
                              Total: $1816.25
                              (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-08 14:27 EDT-0400)
                              |TG-12th| asch
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...