Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a good monitor

Hey everyone,

My monitor just gave up on me yesterday and i am currently looking for another one. I used to have a samsung syncmaster SA550 and my card is a AMD Radeon HD 6900. I play mostly World Of Tanks, BF2:PR and BF3 My criterias would be:
    1) 500$ at most
    2) 24" at least
    3) good quality

I had those 2 in mind:

1) http://www.asus.com/...ectors/VG278HE/
    2) http://shop.benq.us/...g/xl2420te.html

What do you guys think?
    Have any other suggestion?

Thanks for the replies
    sigpic

Sig made by : majorissuez99

"Killing a man is murder unless you do it to the sound of trumpets." ~ Voltaire

Re: Choosing a good monitor

Dell U2413 (24") IPS. My main 24" monitor, stunning colour reproduction and viewing angles, good response times, great contrast etc. Borderline professional quality monitor. Probably around the 500 mark, maybe below now, haven't checked.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2413.htm

Comment

Here's the monitor I recently purchased for my new gaming rig.

BenQ XL2420T Black-Red 24" ($299)
      5ms (2ms GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight Height & Pivot Adjustable 120Hz 3D-Ready LCD Monitor 350 cd/m2 DC 12M:1 (1000:1)
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

Also... these links were bad.
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
          Dell U2413 (24") IPS. My main 24" monitor, stunning colour reproduction and viewing angles, good response times, great contrast etc. Borderline professional quality monitor. Probably around the 500 mark, maybe below now, haven't checked.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2413.htm

What Wicks said...

This is the same monitor I'm running at home and it's absolutely fantastic. I love the IPS panels they're using.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Slight diversion to the topic. Larger than 24" worth it with the proper card? Any better in seeing the AI in ArmA when they're REALLLLLYYYY far out there?

I'm considering a new monitor myself (attached to a new game box I'm crafting right now) and I was wondering what the experience has been.

Thanks,

Comment

The size of monitor doesn't actually allow you to resolve more fine details on the screen. The resolution of the screen does that. In comparison to the 24" monitors suggested the next step up would be either at 27" and 2560x1440 pixels or 30" and 2560x1600 pixels.

As to francs inquiry, you generally have 2 paths to choose from. Either static image quality(better colors, viewing angle, and resolution) or a higher refresh rate(allowing more than 60 frames per second to be displayed to the monitor in a second). Examples of both have already been posted above. The dell monitor is a high static image quality IPS monitor. The Ben-Q suggested by Asch can display up to 120Hz(120 frames per second) however it is a TN panel versus the IPS of the dell and lacks in many of the image quality catagories. Both of those monitors share similar resolutions 1920x1080 versus 1920x1200

There is also something along the lines of this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710-...item1e7c39ae25

Which is a korean branded monitor that ships straight from korea. It is a 2560x1440 resolution PLS(similiar to IPS just made by samsung instead of LG) monitor that can be set up to 144Hz in some cases(more likely you will achieve ~85 without compromising image quality). The catch is that it would be a good deal more bothersome to deal with returning this if it came with an issue or developed one within the first year of use. That particular model of it also only accepts a Dual link DVI input. If you google around you will find many people commenting on this monitor.

All of the monitors suggested are great. The difference lies in personal preference in your viewing pleasure.
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Great summary by Namebot of the 'choices' you can make when considering a new monitor, plus rep!

Yup, in the past you used to hear people say "You can't really tell the difference over 60 FPS/Hz". However lately I am hearing many people say that they can really feel the enhanced smoothness that being able to display the higher frame rates provides, i.e. 120Hz monitors. It really boils down to two factors, personal choice and the limitations of your system/graphical demands of the games you want to play.

In your price bracket, which is pretty generous (lucky you), you will find very good IPS panels that display excellent images but perhaps don't hit the 2ms response times or 120Hz refresh rate allowing you to display FPS over 60. You will also find monitors like the one Asch suggested that can hit scorching refresh rates (i.e. 120 fps potentially), I can't comment on the image quality but I do hear good things about BenQ monitors. You may also be able to find a gem that crosses over between both.

When purchasing a monitor based on refresh rate you should bear in mind the capability of your system to display games at fps higher than 60. What I mean by that is that if you purchase a 1920 by 1200 monitor and like to play BF3 at Ultra settings you need a set up that can drive that image. Same with something like Arma 3 etc. If you want to play those types of intensive CPU/GPU games in all their glory you are going to need a comparative system, a high end GPU. If you start moving into the 27" 2560 by 1440 then to play many new games maxed out you are looking at a dual GPU/SLI configuration with at least 2GB per card (it doesn't double up in SLI).

That really is important, there is no point getting a large high refresh rate monitor if you then have to start switching off all the eye candy and turning down settings just to hit above 60 FPS because that's what you paid for (as regards the monitor) or because you have to in order to drive a 2560 by 1440 resolution. If you play older games or don't care about 'Ultra' settings then it's less of an issue. Just be advised that an Nvidia GTX TItan will struggle to drive some games at 60 fps on a resolution of 2560 by 1440 when maxed out and that is/was about a grands worth of GPU.

As with all components, unless you are happy to step on to the neverending upgrade train it is unwise to upgrade any single area, including the monitor, beyond the current capability of your system. Otherwise it starts getting expensive as your next stop is the 'Mega GPU' shop so you can feed your big new monitor.

One last minor comment, as regards response times. I have personally never noticed the difference in any sub 8ms response time monitor, ever. Bearing in mind most of the stated response times are often out by 1-3 ms dependent on testing methodology and the incredibly small difference between say 3 ms and 5 ms it is my opinion you won't notice either. Good luck and have fun choosing, tons of good monitors in your price range, do some research on good sites and if you can pop into a store and take a look. If I get some time tomorrow and you haven't dropped the hammer I'll throw up some links for reviews from websites I use.

Comment

Wicks (and everyone else) . . . . Awesome info. You guys are the best. Thank you for the words the experience and the expertise.

So in summary:

Monitor size and refresh rate in combination are the elements necessary to "upping your game".

But you're not going to get either unless the card is built to match, and that isn't going to happen without some "fundage".

If we strap all of that into a "mid-size" mother board and all the other stuff are we talking about those being the weak link now?? (which is another way of saying I (anyone) needs to match ALL the components or we're just swapping one "weak link" for another).

I'm only saying because I'm sourcing parts to make a new (with fundage) game box and I'm looking to stay ahead of the curve (ArmA3 for starters) but not "on the street" with cost.

I'll work on posting system parameters but don't want to hijack this thread.

Thanks guys, good stuff.

Comment

Also consider what your primary usage is going to be. I just purchased everything to build a new computer (see link in my sig) and I was looking for a great gaming monitor. The BenQ had the best ratings / reviews I could find. There were other great monitors but I didn't want to pay for 3D or built-in speakers.

The other monitors mentioned above are also great monitors. If you do a lot of things (e.g. graphic design) other than gaming, those other monitors may be a better choice give the depth in color, etc.

I would also say that getting a monitor that is higher quality than your gpu isn't a bad thing. For me personally, my monitors tend to have a longer shelf life than my pc parts. I'll upgrade gpus or add additional gpus (sli / crossfire) to a system several times before I feel the need to change out the monitor.
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...