vm what to know: help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vm what to know: help

I am looking for some insight on vm if anyone has knowledge to share.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: vm what to know: help

What is VM? Especially the abbreviation of two letters V and M can mean anything... Plus your question is very open (knowledge to share?), piggybacking all the work towards the ones who are willing to answer... The difference between your generation and the oldies... Oops agism..

So, since it might be Virtual Machines... I am gonna butt in. Virtual Machines can be used to emulate a computer inside another operating system. For example, you wanna run a server from a windows client machine, you fire up a VM inside a windows mahcine and install the server in the VM...

You wanna to try Linux inside windows? You fire up a VM and install Linux inside that VM which is installed on the windows machine. It is basically like a computer running withing a computer.

One of the common drawbacks of VMs would be its tendency of declined performance depending on resources given to them by the host computer. You can define how much RAM, bandwidth and all that is allocated to the VM running within the operating system of the host machine.

Anyway, one of the free and quite fucntional VMs would be virtualbox. Nice one to start... Free and open source. Download ans install and mess away...

Comment

Thanks, B. I am going to look into that. I posted this via my phone, so I had trouble going in depth... I was told that I will be working with them soon...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Ok, tried VirtualBox and it worked, but is quite a pain. Thankfully, it is better than the one my school provided.

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
          Ok, tried VirtualBox and it worked, but is quite a pain. Thankfully, it is better than the one my school provided.
          Can you expand upon "quite a pain"?

I use virtualbox daily for work so there may be ways to make life easier when using it.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

Currently, I am having performance draw backs with the windows 8 installed and I am also trying to figure out how to get the VM to access the Blue Ray drive and the USBs...

Comment

What is your host OS? (the one installed on your computer)

What guest OS are you trying to run inside virtualbox?

How many CPUs and how much RAM does your computer have?
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

host: 7 64 ultimate

guest: 8 64 Pro

intel i7 720 QM @ 1.6 - 2.9

8 Gb @ 1333

Comment

Hmm... your system may struggle a bit since windows generally requires a lot of resources on its own to run. Here are a few tweaks to try.

In your win8 VM settings...

System -> Motherboard
                  - Base Memory (try around 4 GB)
                  - Enable IO APIC (checked)

System -> Processor
                  - Processor(s) (try around 4 processors)
                  - Execution cap (75% - 100%)
                  - Enable PAE/NX (checked)

System -> Acceleration
                  - Enable VT-x/AMD-V (checked)
                  - Enable Nesting Paging (checked)

Display -> Video
                  - Video Memory (try somewhere between 75% - 100% of total video memory)
                  - Enable 3D acceleration (checked)
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

asch, help me! I'm bridging and I can't connect!!!

I am stuck where I am trying to bridge the VM so I can make it connect to my school network on its own. I can't get it to recognize the network and it doesn't like my eithernet...

Comment

Do you need to bridge? How do you normally connect to your school network?
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

ok, well, I normally connect wifi but I am required to bridge inorder to get the VM to be registered with my school. I think I got it, but every time I start the VM it gives me an error about not being able to start the VM since it can't read properly... Currently, when it does come up, it gets really slow but sort of works...

I'll get back to this thread after I try some things tonight...

Comment

The only reason you would need to bridge is if you run something on your host OS to connect like a VPN client.... or if your host OS is registered with the IP or group/domain to the school. Otherwise you "should" be able to connect from the guest OS directly to your school.
                          |TG-12th| asch
                          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...