Looking to build a kickin game box - thoughts on the parts I'm considering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to build a kickin game box - thoughts on the parts I'm considering

Looking to build a "kickin" game box for both ArmA and other FPS games. I'm new to building one one my own and would like to ask the community for some thoughts on the parts as selected here (NewEgg Pieces).

I've heard good things about most of the parts selected, but I understand it's the "sum of the parts" that is more important than anyone one piece of the puzzle

Let me know what you think and options / changes based on the experience and expertise here.

Thanks,

MadSoloSniper

Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price
    1 $399.99
    Western Digital RE WD4001FYYG 4TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SAS 6Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Internal Hard Drive *
    Item #: N82E16822236353
    Return Policy:*Standard Return Policy

1 $509.99
    EVGA 04G-P4-3778-KR GeForce GTX 770 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card *
    Item #: N82E16814130925
    Return Policy:*VGA Standard Return Policy

1 -$10.00*Instant $119.99
    Creative Sound Blaster Z 70SB150000000 5.1 Channels PCI Express (x1, x4 or x16) Interface Sound Card $109.99
    Item #: N82E16829102048 *

1 -$20.00*Instant $149.99
    Logitech G710 PLUS 920-003887 USB Wired Gaming Mechanical Keyboard $129.99
    Item #: N82E16823126299 *

1 $1.99
    Nippon Labs CT-6INT-BK Nippon Labs 6" Intermediate Cable Ties Black Color 100pcs/Bag - OEM *
    Item #: N82E16899994066

1 $159.99
    CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1866C9B (Blue) *
    Item #: N82E16820233540
    Return Policy:*Memory Standard Return Policy

1 -$15.00*Instant $339.99
    ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $324.99
    Item #: N82E16813131801 *
    Return Policy:*Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

1 $299.99
    Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820 *
    Item #: N82E16819115229
    Return Policy:*CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

1 $139.99
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM *
    Item #: N82E16832116992
    Return Policy:*Software Standard Return Policy

2 -$1.00*Instant $59.98
    Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition CO-9050002-WW 120mm Twin Pack High Airflow Case Fan $57.98
    Item #: N82E16835181021 * ($28.99 each)

1 -$15.00*Instant $124.99
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler $109.99
    Item #: N82E16835181032 *

1 -$30.00*Instant $229.99
    Corsair Neutron Series GTX CSSD-N240GBGTXB-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $199.99
    Item #: N82E16820233398 *
    Return Policy:*Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

1 -$80.00*Instant $529.98
    -$20.00*Combo $429.98
    $30.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    Item #:* N82E16811139001
    Return Policy:* Standard Return Policy $10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

CORSAIR HX Series HX1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power ...
    Item #:* N82E16817139034

Return Policy:* Standard Return Policy *
    Subtotal: $2,874.85
    Grand Total:* $2,874.85

Re: Looking to build a kickin game box - thoughts on the parts I'm considering

Save yourself 200 dollars and get a 2 or 3TB hard drive. That 4TB is just not worth the money.

You could buy 3 if these 3TB drives for the cost of 1 4TB.
    http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?it...82E16822148844
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Agreed . . . . and with all the "bays" the case comes with I can always expand in the future.

Comment

The 4TB you chose is a "raid edition", meaning it has specifications enabled for use in a enterprise raid environment. I doubt you need it. There are consumer 4TB drives available for under $200.

The rest of your build is well balanced if a bit expensive. Unless you have work you do on your computer that requires the socket 2011 or instead purchase one of the 6-8 core options(very expensive) for the platform you should consider stepping down to socket 1150. It will save you money and deliver the same and sometimes better performance in the majority of games. At the very least if you are determined to have the best of the best I would be tempted to wait for the Ivy bridge-E parts to be released rather than buying the sandy bridge-E part.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Here's the rig I recently purchased and am putting together. All of the pieces can be purchased through newegg or amazon.

Originally posted by MadSoloSniper View Post
          Western Digital RE WD4001FYYG 4TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SAS 6Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Internal Hard Drive
          As others have mentioned, you probably don't need a drive this size. I'd keep to smaller drives. The WD Blues seem to be good spinning drives for gaming. The Reds are more for Network attached storage.

Creative Sound Blaster Z 70SB150000000 5.1 Channels PCI Express (x1, x4 or x16) Interface Sound Card
          Personally I'd stay away from the creative line. The motherboard I ended up going with includes a high-end sound processor which should satisfy most gamers. However if you still want a sound card then take a look at ASUS ROG series.

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1866C9B (Blue)
          16GB is overkill for a gaming rig. I went with 16GB because I needed the extra RAM to running virtual machines for work. I'm not sure you'd gain anything over 8GB.

ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
          You're going to end up paying more for the 2011 boards and I'm not sure they're worth it. Check out the ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) series VI motherboards. (yes, I'm a fan of ROG). :-)

The Maximus VI Extreme is for the super overclocker / modder. The Maximus VI Formula is the high end gamer / overclocker mobo. And the Maximus VI Hero (the one I chose) is the high end gamer mobo. I think they'll run cheaper than the sabertooth board.

Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820
          I'd go with the newer Haswell line (4k series). I chose the the i5-4570k model which should suit my work and gaming needs. Anything above that and you won't gain any benefit unless you're doing video editing / processing / etc.

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
          I was planning to stick with Win7 for my new rig. I can't stand the Win8 UI, but after reading through some of the various forums I ended up going with Win8. From what I read there are ways to not have to deal with the homescreen / startpage that Win8 has... and Win8 is supposed to be more stable and actually faster than Win7.

CORSAIR HX Series HX1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power ...
          Unless you're planning to run multiple video cards I'm not sure you'll utilize the full 1050W. You could get by with around 700-900W. Definitely go modular though (which you've chosen) along with 80 Plus (or better).
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

In regards to the Creative Sound Card, there is no difference between the Z and Zx. The only Z series that is good quality and nice is the ZxR which is rather expensive. $250 for a card you will not likely ever fully use is a waste, I mean that card comes with a daughter card too... Best bet is to go with an Asus or something, unless you want to hook up record players, cassette players, microphones, quarter inch headphones, and or instruments to it for the purpose of recording...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

So many options!!! . . . . thanks for the input to this point. I'm going to take the thoughts and advice and re-tool the rig (based on all of it) and post the modified rig. I should have mentioned I will be using the box for some video and sound editing as well (true "game-only-box" - just will never happen, with that kind of horsepower I gotta let it out of the cage with some for some other crunching intensive tasks too).

Thanks, much more to consider then I imagined. . . . :-)

Comment

I'll echo what others have already said but I think it bears repeating.

I would ditch the sound card. In the not so old days they were needed but the higher end motherboards handle sound superbly. I haven't used one in at least five years.

The powersupply is overkill like another poster already said. Unless you are planning to run two vid cards you won't need that much power. I run the a corsair modular 750 W model and it's fine.

If you are an ARMA player, and I know you are....consider an SSD exclusively for your ARMA content. An SSD is the one must have upgrade for ARMA in my humble opinion. 100 or 150 gbs ought to do it.

Drop the water cooling unless you plan to overclock...and with this rig...is it really necessary to overclock? Do upgrade from the stock cooler though.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                  Drop the water cooling unless you plan to overclock...and with this rig...is it really necessary to overclock? Do upgrade from the stock cooler though.
                  I would still go with the closed loop (all-in-one) cpu water cooler that's chosen. Even without OCing they can help reduce the core temps and reduce overall noise. The noise levels are worth it... though it does really depend on if the other (case) fans are after-market fans that also help reduce noise.
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

Imho, you guys are spending WAY too much on computers.

I buy all my stuff from Tigerdirect.com. It will have the cheapest prices, trust me.

The size of your HDD is up to you. You certainly want SATA 3 7200 rpm, but that's not going to make much of a difference in gaming. It'll change how many games you can have installed, and the speed of the HDD will change how fast you can transfer data to a flash drive or something like that, but that's about it.

RAM... I've read differing opinions, but the consensus pretty much says that 8 GB is all your computer will ever really use, unless you're going far beyond general use and gaming. The higher size RAM is generally used for video editing or servers or things of that nature. With that being said, it never hurts to have more than you need, but it's a matter of price vs usage imho. What you really want is fast RAM. Again, there are varying opinions, but most motherboard RAM controllers utilize 1.5v (I believe) and a lot of faster RAM these days are running at 1.65v. You won't see a problem in a brand new system, but after a few years of use, your mobo RAM controller will begin to burn out because of the overvoltage. I'd try to find a mobo that can run 2400 mhz RAM and then find 2400 mhz RAM that runs at 1.5v (it's out there and it's affordable).

For video games these days, there are two things that REALLY affect performance. CPU and video card. I got the i5-3570k. This ivy bridge CPU is benchmarking right along with the newer i7's coming out. It's an ABSOLUTELY beast CPU. The video card that you want to buy is solid, but it's not entirely necessary. I love video cards, tho, so I'll say if you can afford it, buy it. Check the benchmarks for all the cards around that one and make sure that it benchmarks the same or better. Google video card benchmarks and go to videobenchmark.net and click the high end cards. You'll see a chart that includes your card. Then google gtx 680 vs gtx 770 and look at the charts you find in those websites. You'll begin to see that the 680 and 770, when it comes down to it, are about the same. They're both going to be beast when rendering graphics and they're bot going to do what you want them to do, and then some. The main difference, again imho, is the power usage. The 680 uses less power, so when you factor in the over time cost of the cards, the 680 will cost less than the 770.

Personally, I'd SLI a couple or a few of the higher mid range cards if I had the cash to spend. You'll get MUCH better performance with 2 or 3 lower end cards in SLI than you will with a single 770. From what I've read, two GTX 660 Ti's are the equivalent of a single Titan, which means that two 660 Ti's are better than one 770. But, I just read that, I don't know the benchmarks. And you have to factor in more heat and more power usage with SLI. I'd go with 2 660 ti's over a 770, but that's me.

One thing you should make sure of is that your chassis doesn't have the PSU on the bottom (floor level) or you need to get an extension of the 4 pin cord from your PSU. It's been my experience that most mobo's have the 4 pin port on top of the board, and if your PSU is mounted below the board, it means that cord has to go over your graphics cards. It's impossible in most stock PSUs.

Just my .02.

Mom
                    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                    Forever Perplexed

Comment

Going to disagree with YerMom and echo what Grunt has said about HDD's, dependent on what games you intend to play. Madsolo, as I know you play Arma you are going to what an SSD, plain and simple, as Arma streams huge amounts of stuff from your HD. The read speeds of an ssd will drastically improve your performance. Running Arma on a mechanical drive is something I couldn't go back to, all that stuttering (which will also see huge fps drops briefly as the textures stream in).

Having your OS on an SSD is great too as you will cold boot in about 10 seconds to a working desktop. I have 2 now and will be adding more as they have dropped in price considerably.

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
                        I would still go with the closed loop (all-in-one) cpu water cooler that's chosen. Even without OCing they can help reduce the core temps and reduce overall noise. The noise levels are worth it... though it does really depend on if the other (case) fans are after-market fans that also help reduce noise.
                        I can definitely see you point on the noise.
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I have to say that I haven't played Arma, so what Wicks says is likely to be true.

It's been my experience that SSD drives are certainly better, but most games (that I play, mind you) are CPU/GPU dependent more than they are HDD/SSD dependent. But again, I can't speak to Arma.

With that being said, you guys are still spending way too much on PCs. :P

Also, keep in mind that the fastest stock RAM you can get is 1600 mhz. Anything over that is overclocked RAM and will generate more than expected heat and power consumption. In fact, I'm pretty sure that most mobo manufacturers have a clause in their warranties that say if you're using OC RAM, they will not replace mobos. At least this was the case when I was looking for my mobo about 6 months ago.

Mom
                          Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                          Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                          Forever Perplexed

Comment

New and Improved "Kickin System"

I have decided on this version of gaming system to go all air cooled. Many have spoken on the topic and the element of "fluid change out" is the largest reason I have chosen to avoid it this time around; and given that it's my first true DIY gaming box. I'll get the feel for case layout and how the pipes "might" run for a future version that may be liquid cooled, but for now we're going with a huge (woo hoo) case and some good fan systems.

Also, note the 32GB of memory. I may change (based on what you guys say) but I have read that a RAM based OS and Game system runs even faster and cooler as it's all in hardware with no lag times for reads from the drives (even SSD drives). With that said it WOULD be cheaper to go SSD so I wait to hear the communities thoughts on this latest build.

Some things to note:
                            Case is set, I like it and it will give me room to expand, play and even "go liquid" if I want in the future
                            I know the power supply is over sized - this is for the same reason (and all the case fans that will be added over time)
                            All other elements are up for discussion and your input and changes.

Also - this unit will be used for video editing, audio creation and editing (here and for clients) and will be used for website design and web graphic design as well so it's a "semi-multi function piece.

One last note - I tried to make the layout of this post a little more reader friendly - all pieces are currently being sourced at NewEgg.

I look forward to additional input (so I can get to ordering this beast)

Thanks,

MadSoloSniper

Case and power supply
                            Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022-WW Black
                            Computer Case With Side Panel Window
                            Item #:N82E16811139019
                            Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

CORSAIR AXi AX1200i 1200W Power Supply New
                            4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready
                            Item #:N82E16817139039

Motherboard - CPU - RAM
                            ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME ATX Intel
                            Motherboard
                            Item #:N82E16813131974
                            Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Quad-Core
                            Desktop Processor
                            Item #:N82E16819116901
                            Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-
                            Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 Desktop Memory
                            Item #:N82E16820233306
                            Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

Graphics Card
                            EVGA GeForce GTX 780 03G-P4-3784-KR Dual FTW
                            w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card
                            Item #:N82E16814130951
                            Return Policy: VGA Replacement Only Return Policy

HDs
                            Corsair Neutron Series CSSD-N512GB3-BK 2.5"
                            Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
                            Item #:N82E16820233583
                            Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200
                            RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard
                            Drive
                            Item #:N82E16822136792

Other Gear - fans and stuff

CORSAIR CMXAF1 Fans
                            Item #:N82E16835704001

BenQ Gaming XL2720T Black 27" 1ms (GTG)
                            Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 3D-Ready
                            Item #:N82E16824014344
                            Return Policy: Monitor Standard Return Policy

COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP
                            92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible
                            Item #:N82E16835103057

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-
                            R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU
                            Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and
                            AMD FM1/AM3+
                            Item #:N82E16835103099

Comment

Solo, a closed loop kit has no fluid change out issues. If you can afford l, I would highly highly recommend the corsair h100i water cooler.
                              sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                              Former ARMA Admin
                              Former ARMA TGU instructor
                              Former TGU Headmaster
                              Current Noob
                              Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse