Question about Wireless Network Adapters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Wireless Network Adapters

I have moved and now need to go wireless on my game rig but know nothing about them.
    I need more than just functional, I want to rock!

FYI I like to go up-market and be ready for the next gen of games.

Sarcoma
    Sarcoma.

Re: Question about Wireless Network Adapters

Can you give some more detail about why you need to go wireless. Can you not run CAT 5 in the new place. If you can't run CAT cable then I wouldn't go wireless. I would go with an Ethernet over Power adaptor and use your existing electrical cabling to run Ethernet http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704165
    Search for 'powerline' on new egg to see other brands.
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Thanks Bolagnaise will look into it.
      Sarcoma.

Comment

What the range and number/type of walls/floors between your where the wireless access point and your computer will be?
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I agree with Bolagnaise' line of thinking. Wireless is never going to be as good as wired internet. With that being said, I've never used ethernet over power. I can tell you that if you have cable, and are paying for say... 25 mbps down, you're going to lose AT LEAST 5 mbps down even if your wireless connection is in an ideal location. I generally lose 5 mbps when I check my net speed and I'm standing RIGHT BESIDE my wireless adapter. But, 5 mbps isn't a lot when there's 20 more to work with. Also, if you live close to other people, say in a town house complex or apartment building, and they all have wireless signals, there's a good chance you're going to lose considerable bandwidth because there is no way to know what the channel of their wireless signal is set to. Wireless channels aren't very well known about, and most manufacturers default to channel 11. Refer to the chart here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

If your neighbor is using channel 11 and you are using channel 11, it will cause interference. In most cases, users never notice this. But for people like us trying to get mega bandwidth and stupid pings, you'll notice a drop if you're crossing 11 with a neighbor. Even more if you're crossing 11 with 3 neighbors. And unless you go and ask each and every neighbor what channel their wireless signal is on (with which they'll like respond with a "URR DURR" reply), you'll never know if you're crossing or not.

It's been my experience also that wireless extenders are pretty much crap. I have seen about 9 situations thus far of people trying to use them, and they literally just suck. But, again, don't know everything about them, so not sure if you spend $400 on a setup if it'll work better.

I'd try my best to get an ethernet (cat 5) cable to your rig. You'll get the most bandwidth that way. If not, a better solution for you may be to get a wireless switch mounted in the ceiling or under the floor as close to your rig as possible. I have a cat 5 running across my back yard to under my in law's house (all nice and pretty in conduit, etc) and we mounted a wireless switch under their living room floor in a conduit box (which was hard to find one that big). They get a perfect wireless signal there now. But they don't game out and require low pings to connect bullets.

Mom
          Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
          Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
          Forever Perplexed

Comment

I use Ethernet over power adaptors in my house. I have a 3 bedroom house with an adaptor in 2 and 1 in my loungeroom for my roku/TV/secondary wireless router. Using Cat plugged into a laptop and running a program to test my network speed, i have achieved up to 80mbps across them, with about a 1-3 ms ping increase.
            sigpic

Former Pathfinder
            Former ARMA Admin
            Former TGU Headmaster
            Current Noob

Comment

I have tried Powerline adapters and they work well but they have never gotten the attention or love here that they get in Europe or Asia. The parts places here don't push them at all, kind of an after thought. My wireless combo modem/router is in the basement and the Cisco usb adapter on my computer is upstairs and I get between 20 and 35 mbps down and around 6 mbps up pretty constant from Comcast Seattle. I don't see any difference from the wifes computer which is wired direct to the modem/router and my speed upstairs on wireless. It takes two powerline adapters, a master and a slave for one computer and a slave for each additional computer, good ones are not cheap.

Comment

The one I linked actually uses the same circuitry and PCB as the more expensive models from other companies. Definitely do you own research before buying but i would never use WiFi for ping sensitive games.
                sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                Former ARMA Admin
                Former TGU Headmaster
                Current Noob

Comment

Sarcoma, I did look into the Asus PCE-A66 wifi card and it uses the new ac standard. I think the thing looks cool and I have used a computer with one it before. Seems pretty good. It may be expensive to use for a card, but it is definitely worth it, well, that is from my perspective anyhow. I have the computer placed in the basement.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I managed to to set-up a wire connection for my game rig, with more than a little help.
                    Thank you all for the input. I will go for a power line adapter for my non-game rig. Wife won't care a bit.
                    Sarcoma.

Comment

Good to hear
                      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                      Former ARMA Admin
                      Former TGU Headmaster
                      Current Noob

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcoma View Post
                        I will go for a power line adapter for my non-game rig.
                        Biggest thing with these... at least from what I found... is they really depend on the wiring in the house. You can have a great connection in one outlet but a horrible one in the outlet six feet over. So your experience may vary based on the outlet more than anything else.
                        |TG-12th| asch
                        sigpic

Comment

If you can do wired connections this is best but I have been running purely off wireless for about 3 months now. All desktops, laptops, and other devices hookup to one access point. The only wired connection I have right now is to our DVR which does not have WIFI. My current setup utilizes one of the new 802.11ac wireless routers. All three laptops and my phone can run 802.11n and I have purchased the micro 150mbps apdaters for our desktops. On my gaming computer I use the Netgear 802.11ac dual band adapter to utilize the max speed. So far the setup is buttery smooth and has no problem with multiple users.

NETGEAR Wireless Router - AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit (R6300)
                          Netgear WiFi USB Adapter - AC Dual Band (A6200)
                          Wireless N150 adapters
                          sigpic

Comment

I read the directions on my powerline adapter (no longer used) and it said for best results use where outlets are on the same breaker.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X