Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SSD - does it really make that much difference for gamers ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD - does it really make that much difference for gamers ?

SSD - does it really make that much difference for gamers ?

How does it affect load times of maps etc ?
    What about when maps are loaded and you are playing, can you notice a difference then ?

I am thinking of a SSD for my main drive with windows 7 on and BF4
    Then I am thinking of a hybrid drive SSHD for a 2nd hard drive, to give me 3 times faster write for recording games

Does anybody know about these hybrid drives, to comment ?

Thanks is advance for the advice

Re: SSD - does it really make that much difference for gamers ?

I would definitely get an SSD for you main drive. You will notice the OS start up time and the speed of loading of large game files improve (PR maps for me). I have notice an improvement in some MMOs that constantly load data from the disk as well.

I don't know much about the hybrid drives yet. I think it is a normal drive with a huge cache?
    Viking

Comment

The hybrid drive is only going to give you faster write times if it ends up writing your recording data to the nand cache. Many of the implementations I have seen did not write streams of data to the cache but instead waited and "learned" which very small bits of data got called over and over(usually OS files) and wrote those the SSD part. Even if you did find a setup that writes the video stream data to the nand, these products usually hold about 8-16GB currently. After you fill this up the drive has to start dumping to the spinning disk.

Do you have a particular resolution/framerate/compression level in mind for your recordings?
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

My system runs completely on SSD's, besides the music and movies which I keep on separate external hard drives. It makes a big difference in loading and startup times.

Comment

Be careful on what model of SSD's you buy. Certain ones, like certain Toshiba drives, do not contain features that are beneficial to those of us looking for performance gains while gaming. I personally have a nicer Toshiba in my one laptop and it works fine, but does not provide a noticeable performance gain in boot time or some of the other programs. The main factor it provides me is a longer life compared to the other HDD's I've had in this computer and it also uses less energy compared to certain drives in the past.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Also...some of the controllers on the MB's, at least my ASUS from 3 yrs ago, don't maximize the speed advantage. That's probably a non issue now I bet.

But--speaking from the perspective of an avid ARMA player. Installing an SSD is perhaps the single best upgrade for ARMA. The game world is huge in ARMA and the higher speeds eliminated flickering and missing textures both on opening the map and continual play.

The price point has really come down so the ROI is higher than ever.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

When I upgraded my system a few months ago I put a Samsung 840 250g SSD in the mix and my Arma2 and 3 have been no problem with settings on high. Yes, an SSD drive will and does make a difference.

p.s. I only have my OS and the two Arma versions running on the SSD drive. All other programs are running on a 2 T drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                The hybrid drive is only going to give you faster write times if it ends up writing your recording data to the nand cache. Many of the implementations I have seen did not write streams of data to the cache but instead waited and "learned" which very small bits of data got called over and over(usually OS files) and wrote those the SSD part. Even if you did find a setup that writes the video stream data to the nand, these products usually hold about 8-16GB currently. After you fill this up the drive has to start dumping to the spinning disk.

Do you have a particular resolution/framerate/compression level in mind for your recordings?
                Thanks for this info, it makes sense, I wont be getting a hybrid for my purposes
                I am starting to play around again with recorders in prep for BF4
                Playclaw seems the best on the market right now, even better than fraps as it does not drop the play FPS to the recording FPS. I am looking at recording 1280*720, testing so far on recording to 2nd hard drive 7200 RPM disk has worked well with the hardwear I have. I would love to record at 1920*1080, which is the res I play at, a SSD may help me do that.

I am actually now thinking of;
                drive 1: 7200RPM disk for windows and BF4
                drive 2: SSD 256gb for recording streamed game footage at 1920*1080
                drive 3: 7200RPM disk emptying SSD of raw footage and editing videos and longer term storage

What do you think ?

Comment

I think that is a great setup silver.

Record onto the SSD then move to another drive for storage.

Comment

Silver, in the interests of assisting you in producing as many cool videos as possible lol, can I suggest an alternate set up.

Now I appreciate you are looking at getting only one SSD (I assume in a sensible effort to keep the cost down), however one of the major benefits is having the OS and your main game of choice on a superfast drive. Performance across the board will be great. So with that in mind how about this for a solution

120GB SSD for OS and BF4 and a few other games. (120-128GB SSD's are very reasonable now, about the same as 1TB hdd)

240-256GB SSD for recording to in the interim.

1-2TB HDD for data and final repository of recorded fraps footage, copying across once you are out of game etc as you appear to have planned.

This gives you the best of all worlds within a comparative price bracket (rough estimate).

Seriously, you don't want to miss out on having your OS and main game on an SSD, the difference is night and day for me. I actually ran a similar set up for a good while and was able to record Arma 2 and BF3 at really good FPS and then copy across and archive the footage in non game time.

Comment

I am thinking about Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD (the cheaper version, not the pro one) is it any good ?
                      or maybe instead Kingston Technology 120GB V300 SSD any good ?
                      Do SSD have the same power connect as a 7200 RPM HDD ?
                      Do SSD take SATA connections like a 7200 RPM HDD ?

I am thinking of getting one, trying first as the 2nd drive to record games on and see how that goes
                      Then as primary drive with windows etc, ready for BF4 beta in 2 weeks

Comment

I have the 840 120GB. It's a good for the price.

SSD'S require the same power and SATA connector as a normal HDD.
                        sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                        Former ARMA Admin
                        Former ARMA TGU instructor
                        Former TGU Headmaster
                        Current Noob
                        Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

If you want HD 1920X1080 go 256GB, full HD will chew up your drive, the more you can afford to buy the better, 1 TB SSD drives are now available but cost way too much, and make it a samsung.

It will cost more, but it will be built with better parts that are actually manufactured by Samsung, much like their monitors are.

Or try Corsair, crucial, OCZ, and maybe sandisk if price is an issue.
                          Last edited by MrMojay; 09-18-2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

If the samsung 840 "evo" is available in your market see if you can't manage to score it over the 840. It should be priced similarly and perform better.
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I've ordered the Samsung 840 120gb
                              I will try streaming to it then try it as main drive and report back here the results

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X