Overclocking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking

Ok so Im trying OC my computer to get a little more power out of it and avoid spending a fortune to a new set.

I need some help since I havent done these things before.

Here is my comp details:
    - MB Asus M4A87TD EVO
    - CPU AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition 3500Mhz
    - CPU cooler BeQuiet DARK ROCK ADVANCED C1
    - GPU AMD Radeon 6950 2GB
    - RAM 4*2GB 1600Mhz (1333Mhz set by default)
    I think that is the things that matter.

This is what Ive done so far:
    - I upgraded my GPU bios from 6950 to 6970. It use to run GPU clock 800Mhz and memory 1250Mhz and shaders 1408 unified. With the bios upgrade its running GPU clock 880Mhz and memory 1375Mhz and shaders 1536 unified. This seems to be stable and working. Got a few crashes but Im pretty sure its because of the cpu OC.
    - I changed my Dram frequency from 1333Mhz to 1600Mhz. And this seems to be working also.

Now for my real problem the CPU. Since my cpu is Black Edition it has the possibility to just change the core multiplier. And also my MB has a core unlocker which allows me to use 4 cores instead 3 which is the standard and its been working from the start.
    Ive been trying to OC the cpu but its comes unstable at 3700Mhz. At the first try I got it to work on 3900Mhz but I didnt put any stress on it but now its crashes pretty much after little stress at 3700Mhz.
    It should be able to run at least at 4000Mhz maybe even more if you have the cooling power. Ive tried OC over AMD Overdrive on windows and also in the BIOS. Ive been using Prime95 for stress tester.
    The standard voltage is 1.35 and Ive tried changing it from that up to 1.45 but this doesnt seem to have an effect on the stability.
    My temp should not be a problem. When it was stable at 3800Mhz the temp didnt go past 49C when using prime95.
    Right now I got this running at 3600Mhz and stable.

Here are a couple of youtube videos which show that it should be possible (other one is in Italian I think but you get the point :icon_lol::
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKHsX_WmRko
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grBPJGYZxZc

And here are a couple of links that Ive read (and understood about half of what they are talking about :icon_lol:):
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1178250/a...king-help-noob
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=596023

On the other link they are talking that you should increase your NB and HTT if you increase the cpu. But since I got the core multiplier not sure if I have to do this.

All help is much appreciated and if you need any more info let me know.
    I think I really need a little boost for my comp to run BF4 on decnt graphics.
    sigpic

Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers
    "Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Re: Overclocking

Had that series of chips. Back your memory down to 1333. If I remember correctly when you use the multiplier it affects your memory speed. What was the stock multiplier number?
    If I remember right I actually had to back off my memory speed a lot, then adjust the multiplier to get my memory speed back close to 1600 MHz.
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Along the lines of what Ven is saying. Every item you change and tweak tweak in your system has the ability to create more strain and instability. It may be that the chip on the main board is being pushed too much with the combination of overclocked ram and CPU. Start by trying to tweak items in the order that you expect returns. In this case that means to leave the RAM at default and try tweaking the CPU first.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

What they said. When you overclock your CPU multi, it also overclocks your ram. In your bios, you want to adjust to your CPU multi and base clock if its adjustable so that your ram is at 1600 or just a bit lower. Your can go higher but for now they that.
        sigpic

Former Pathfinder
        Former ARMA Admin
        Former ARMA TGU instructor
        Former TGU Headmaster
        Current Noob
        Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Let me tell you a story, Fin.

Here is something that I ran into a problem for a long time. Back in the day, I used a Phenom 2 X2 555 Black Edition Callisto chip. I was able to overclock it to 4 Ghz when using 2 and 3 cores. For the longest time, I could not unlock the 4th core and I would constantly have problems with the 4rth core, whether it was overclocked or at the standard clock. I was using DDR3 1600 and I was not able to go any farther with the overclocking.

I decided to upgrade the CPU. After I upgraded the cpu to an FX8120, I shelved the Phenom 2 X2. A couple months ago, I decided to help my uncles upgrade from their Pentium 4 machine since I had also recently upgraded most of my computer. A miracle happened--after building the machine and turning it on, I performed checks and discovered my biostar board was successful at overclocking the chip to 4 Ghz and have 4 cores unlocked with only a slight bump in voltage. The strange twist of fate is that the ram I installed was reading at 1333 instead of the regular 1600. I thought it seemed strange, but I went with it as I was able to run the Phenom 2 X2 as a Phenom 2 X4 955 Black Edition at 4 Ghz. It did not occur to me until a day or two ago after I had a conversation with Markhol that I might have been able to run the 4rth core at 4ghz because the ram was at a lower speed. I tested the cpu with multiple stress tests and each type were given a couple hours.

The build I made with spare parts ended up become a decent build for a person looking to do work and mildly game.

My advice is to test the possibility of slowing the ram speed and testing the possibility of increases in the overall speed of the cpu.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

The multiplier doesnt actually change anything else but the cpu multiplier.
            Its 17.5 at default that makes 17.5*200=3500Mhz. As I said I got it running at 18 but no more.
            Will try putting the memory down and will let you know if it helps.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FINArsi View Post
              The multiplier doesnt actually change anything else but the cpu multiplier.
              Its 17.5 at default that makes 17.5*200=3500Mhz. As I said I got it running at 18 but no more.
              Will try putting the memory down and will let you know if it helps.
              No disrespect, but I'm pretty sure your wrong on that assumption. Amd OC does mess with the memory when you change the multiplier. I've ran there chips for the last 10 yrs and always had to back my memory off and then bring it back up using the multiplier. Doing it now as we speak on my 1090T
              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Well it doesnt change it on my comp. Or at least every program shows that it doesnt, AMD overdrive, cpu-Z, bios.
                But it doesnt matter. It didnt help. I set my ram at 1333Mhz and tried it no change. Turned it even more down but no change. Tried with the multiplier and by changing the base clock and the combination no change.

Any more ideas?
                sigpic

Comment

well, this may sound strange, but do you have the newest bios and the newest CCC? Does it have a UEFI?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Yes the bios and the CCC are up to date and dont have UEFI.
                    sigpic

Comment

Why did you back it down from 3900, did it become unstable there? If not just set it past the frequency where it is having trouble.
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I did the first oc with Amd oc in windows. After restart it changed everything to default probably because of bios settings.
                        Like I said I didnt put any stress on the cpu when I first set it to 3900 or 3800. I just browsed the internet. It might have been that it was never stable at the beginning but it did stay on for a long time.

Well tonight Ill see how it runs the BF4 beta.
                        sigpic

Comment

OC in BIOS. Don't use software overclock tools (unless you have a specific case...like a AMD laptop with proprietary BIOS). You need to stress test any overclock. Typically people run Prime95 (or other benchmarking software with sets focused on CPU performance) for several hours to several days. If you're short on time, I'd probably at least do Prime95 for an hour, if it doesn't crash/fail, you probably have a decent stable overclock.

Not every chip is the same, so you might have to apply a bit of overvolting to coax it higher. I would look up other people's overclocks on your particular chip and use that as a reference point. Also look up AMD Phenom II overclock guides, they might have a wealth of tips and other info in helping you get a higher overclock (maybe even without a overvoltage).

Be extra careful when you overvoltage. I'd only increase using the smallest amount possible at a time, then test test test. I don't know what the recommended "max" voltage is for AMD's Phenom II chips, but I'd find out the accepted max first, so you know your limit.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Ive been using the prime95 to test oc.
                            Latest settings Ive set on bios but no luck so far.
                            Been going thru 3500-3900Mhz and 1.344-1.40 volts. None of these combinations seem to work. Ive used the multiplies and the base clock oc. Comp crashes right at the beginning of prime test.
                            Ive set ram to 1227Mhz but it makes no difference either.

One thing I found out that even if I change cpu volts on Bios it doesnt actually change it. When windows starts up and I check the volts from cpu-z or AMD oc or hwmonitor they all show the default 1.344 volts. Any idea why is this?
                            I managed to increase it thru bios by not setting volt management to manual but leaved it on offset and just increased it, or example 1.344+0.05.

Im starting lose hope for overclocking maybe my chip just doesnt work higher than 3600Mhz.
                            sigpic

Comment

try x20 or x20.1 at 1.4 volts

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X