looking for headphones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for headphones

hey hey, I just broke my headset the other day (unfortunately, I had a 100 dollar plantronics which I very much liked, at least it lasted 3 years) so now im looking to buy a pair of headphones and a microphone where im already looking at the Blue Snowball.

are there any good and cheap 7.1 headphones? I play counter-strike and such games a lot and I don't know myself what I need to get the best out of directional audio. im looking for anything within price range 50-100 dollars or so

any tips are great, thanks
    - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Re: looking for headphones

I have the Blue Snowflake mike, it is smaller and works great. I don't think there are any good 7.1 headsets that are Cheap, I have a set that I bought for great sound and comfort but they are only 2.1 so I can't help you with those.

Comment

7.1? That's going to be hard to find and usually it's more emulated than truly 7.1 (or even 5.1).

Corsair Vengeance 1500 or 2000 would be ideal if you want to do another 5.1/7.1 USB headset. Otherwise, if you have a dedicated sound card, I'd suggest the Corsair Vengeance 1300 easily. Good audio playback, big cups for big ears, and good isolation. Swivel microphone (all 3 have it), so you can fold it up when you don't need it.

Logitech G930 (7.1) and Logitech G35 (5.1) are well renowned around here at TG. Quite a few gamers here own one or the other. Personally, I'm not sold on the amount of plastic in the headband for the given price. The "autotune" voice changing features is a bit of a gimmick for me personally. Provides some hours of fun if you're looking to troll friends or asshats, but otherwise, not really a needed feature by any means. I found neither of their cups were big enough to wrap around my big ears, so be wary if you have big ears. If you have small ears, some have commented that they are uncomfortable.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

the corsairs sure dont look too bad, Logitech are definitely way out of my price range though. I never cared much for all those buttons or it being wireless, so for now im just gonna stick to my speakers, maybe soon I'll buy one of the vengeances or find something else
        thanks for those tips
        - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

I'll second the corsairs. I have the HS1 (same as 1500), best headset I've ever used. The virtual surround is pretty accurate and they are very comfortable for long sessions, I have a big head so this is important. I found my on sale last winter for $40.00 so if you can wait til black Friday sales there is a good chance you'll find something similar.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm in a similar predicament. My current gaming headphones (Tritton AXPro's) are on their last legs. I've owned a few true 5.1 setups and I've been pretty happy with them. The only pair of cans that I am aware of that are capable of 7.1 in an analog format is Razer's Tiamat. So far I've seen both good and bad reviews. From what I can tell so far they are perfect for gaming (more competitively) but other mediums are lackluster.

I have been looking into some audiophile type setups that work best with gaming but this route requires a good amplifier and possibly a DAC. However there are some soundcards with amplifiers built in like ASUS and HT Omega's.

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony MA900 added)

http://www.headphone.com/
            sigpic

Comment

Most dedicated sound cards (reputable and not budget/cheapy) have op-amps that can easily power most headphones. If you're going the route of the good headphones + clip-on mic + dedicated sound card, many over at Head-Fi.org recommend the Audio Technica ATH-A700 + a quality clip-on microphone. You can duct tape or go fancy and try and integrate the clip-on mic onto the side of the headphones.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Have Sennheiser PC 360's and love them. My only gripe after 4 years use is I wish they were wireless. Tempted by the Corsair 2100 when they eventually go on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                  Have Sennheiser PC 360's and love them. My only gripe after 4 years use is I wish they were wireless. Tempted by the Corsair 2100 when they eventually go on sale.
                  Yeah those Corsair 2100s sure look tempting. They have really outdone themselves maturing their case and peripheral lines.
                  sigpic

Comment

Love my wireless Corsairs.
                    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
                      Love my wireless Corsairs.
                      Having to listen to you go to the toilet whilst still talking to me means I hate your wireless corsairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Aimed View Post
                        Having to listen to you go to the toilet whilst still talking to me means I hate your wireless corsairs.
                        Wait...he hot mics it and wear it into the bathroom with him? Eww!
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          Wait...he hot mics it and wear it into the bathroom with him? Eww!
                          I never know if he's pouring a drink or...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X